Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2013 6:30:40 PM EDT
Ok, I'm having some difficulty wrapping my head around how leg points are tallied, accumulated, and recognized. Websites seem to assume you're already familiar with the system.

In 2011, I competed in the NH NG State TAG match and earned a Bronze EIC Pistol Badge and 4 leg points.

This past weekend I competed in the 2013 NH NG TAG match. I took 5th overall and the Governor's Twenty badge. I haven't seen the individual results, but I expect to receive my Bronze EIC Rifle badge. Am I assuming correctly this will come with 4 more leg points?

From what I understand the first 4 will go towards my distinguished pistol shooter, and this years points will go towards distinguished rifle shooter. Correct? Also, what types of competitions are recognized to go towards the distinguished shooter badge? I'm national guard, are there any additional considerations as to what type of competition or award I'm eligible for?

I've got the MAC 1 regionals coming up soon, and now that I'm actually performing well this year I'm more interested in actually getting points.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 11:26:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm pretty new to the whole NG competition shooting as well, but I might have some input. Also posting to see what other people say. Shot my first TAG and MAC matches this year and apparently I hit enough black that my state wants to send me to the Wilson nationals next year. I think I got 10 leg points for getting the top score on the Rifle EIC match this August.

The EIC matches are the only ones where you leg, from what I heard. 10 points for first and then I'm not sure how many (I guess 4?) points for being in the top 10%. So if 30 people shoot, 3 leg, if 31-40 shoot then 4 people can leg etc.

Then it sounded like 30 leg points are needed to get a badge. Maybe it's different between rifle and pistol.

Take all this with a grain of salt, it's just what I've overheard and tried asking about during the last couple months of matches. Super new to this as well. Wish my unit would have told me about these events earlier in my Guard career.
Link Posted: 9/14/2013 5:17:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Joe. You can only receive a max of 4 points ( once ) At a state match per discipline. After you receive your 4 points at a state level match either civilian or military, you are done. You can only get points at a regional level match or higher. I think they added the requirement to leg at a National level match to go out but im not 100 percent sure on that.

At the regionals and higher they award 6, 8, and 10 point legs

I hope this helps. Shoot me a PM and ill send you my number. Or look me up on global
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 12:27:55 PM EDT
[#3]
They do count. Combat pistol legs count towards pistol distinguished same for combat rifle for rifle distinguished.

If they have the  Winston P Wilson matches at Little Rock AR this year they have a combat rifle/pistol leg match at that. If they bring back the CNGB championships again they will have a set at that too. Enough people shoot that they usually give out a couple 10, 8 and 6 point legs.

Contact your state National Guard marksmanship coordinator and see if they are forming a state NG team to go to WPW next year.
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 1:03:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They do count. Combat pistol legs count towards pistol distinguished same for combat rifle for rifle distinguished.

If they have the  Winston P Wilson matches at Little Rock AR this year they have a combat rifle/pistol leg match at that. If they bring back the CNGB championships again they will have a set at that too. Enough people shoot that they usually give out a couple 10, 8 and 6 point legs.

Contact your state National Guard marksmanship coordinator and see if they are forming a state NG team to go to WPW next year.
View Quote

They went a couple weeks ago and I was unable to attend.

I was suppossed to shot MAC 1 even though we had drill. 2 days later I was told I was unable to go because we had drill.

One of my PLs just did REALLY well at WPW at pistol, and did really well at MAC 1 as well...

Oh, and gunbunny, it was good to see you at the state match.
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 1:19:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Joe. You can only receive a max of 4 points ( once ) At a state match per discipline. After you receive your 4 points at a state level match either civilian or military, you are done. You can only get points at a regional level match or higher. I think they added the requirement to leg at a National level match to go out but im not 100 percent sure on that.

At the regionals and higher they award 6, 8, and 10 point legs
View Quote

Correct.  4 points for Division/post/installation and state matches.

Contact Mike Behnke, Chief of Competitions, or Nancy Pool, Army EIC Records and Orders Custodian, both at the USAMU, 706-545-1272.

AR 350-66 (27 AUG 2012), Small Arms Competitive Marksmanship Program:  http://www.apd.army.mil/pdffiles/r350_66.pdf
Link Posted: 10/7/2013 10:52:10 PM EDT
[#6]

So I just got this badge in the mail for the MAC shoot I did recently. I can't find much info on Google or AR 670-1 about it. Am I authorized to wear this bronze medal on my dress uniform? The rest of my badges are all the shiny chrome ones, but the EIC Rifle badge only seems to come in bronze and silver. Seems like it wouldn't be uniform enough for the military. Also, I read that it takes precedence over my qual badge. So along with airborne wings my uniform should look similar to this right? Parachutist, EIC, then Qual

Sorry for the questions and sort of threadjack, this is all super new to me.
Link Posted: 10/7/2013 11:05:08 PM EDT
[#7]
You wear it in lieu of your qualification badge, or higher in precedence over qualification and/or driver's badge.

A Soldier can wear up to five (total) qualification and specialty skill badges and (metal) tabs.

If you don't have a CIB/EIB, CMB/CFMB, CAB, or flight badge then it's jump wings above and three badges across the pocket flap.  Marksmanship badges start on page 280 of AR 670-1.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 2:34:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Old thread to dredge up, but it looks like this is the only real EIC thread around, so maybe "Semi-Official EIC Thread"?

Went to the WPW this year on my states B-Team (if anyone reading this was there we only had 3 on our team by day 2 and we had the female who was limping around on a bad leg). Got 6 rifle leg points, so I've got my "hard leg" (national level) points in rifle.

Just shot the the 2014 NH TAG match, won rifle and overall and will be going to MAC I next month. So hopefully I rack up some more points. Need more pistol points now (not my strength).

To any Army or Air NG guys reading this, go do your State TAG matches and go to the Winston P Wilson. No matter how well or poorly you do you'll learn a lot, especially if you can pick other competitor's brains. It was an awesome time and hopefully I'll be going to the next WPW. It's not super high-speed like an IPSC, IDPA, or a 3-gun match, but it's an excellent measure of solid fundamentals.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 2:35:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
 Got 6 rifle leg points, so I've got my "hard leg" (national level) points in rifle.
View Quote

A "hard leg" is 8 or 10 points.There's one guy on the circuit (mid-Atlantic) now that has forty some points and can't leg-out since they are all 6 point legs. He also can't get a 4 point leg since those can only be had by shooters with no points and one time only (OK, twice if you count rifle and pistol).
For all the rules, go to www.odcmp.com and access the Rulebooks. Each branch of the military awards their own badges with their own version of the rules. I was Army for 30 years and shot competition rifle for 21 of them.
Welcome to the Leg Hunt.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 7:43:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 7:49:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks.  I appreciate the clarification.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 11:49:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Do not use CMP brochures for Army Points. AR350-66 is what you seek.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top