Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/6/2013 9:53:19 PM EDT
In the 3gun competition. What ammo are used for the shotgun stage?
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 2:37:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Predominantly it's birdshot (normally #6 or smaller shot size). Sometimes slugs. Sometimes buckshot. Mostly birdshot.
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 11:42:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Reason I ask is because I want a competition shotgun but 12ga slugs and some buckshot is really hard kickers. I don't mind a 20ga but what if I want the power later?
Link Posted: 3/8/2013 2:39:03 PM EDT
[#3]
You wont see many 20g shotguns in 3Gun...

If you are using to shooting slugs and buckshot out of a pump or single shot...know that a semi-auto will have slightly less kick firing the same rounds due to the reciprocating mass.

In reality...you get used to the kick.  First time I ever shot a 12g I was 11 years old, unsupervised, shooting buckshot.  My arm was black and blue for a week.  Never had an issue since...
Link Posted: 4/16/2013 7:53:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

If you are using to shooting slugs and buckshot out of a pump or single shot...know that a semi-auto will have slightly less kick firing the same rounds due to the reciprocating mass.

In reality...you get used to the kick.  First time I ever shot a 12g I was 11 years old, unsupervised, shooting buckshot.  My arm was black and blue for a week.  Never had an issue since...

I second the 12 ga Semi Auto.. granted I just use my Stoeger m300 for target shooting and birds.. it doesn't kick bad at all with slugs.. just stay with 2 n 3/4 inch slugs.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 12:17:14 AM EDT
[#5]
They make both reduced/managed recoil rounds for slugs and buckshot.  They have significantly less recoil than the full power rounds and are easy to manage in 12 ga.
Link Posted: 4/27/2013 5:49:37 PM EDT
[#6]
98% of the time I am using generic bulk Federal, Winchester or Remington loads.

They all run like a champ in my SLP.

Buckshot or slugs are necessary when they are called for specifically.

Occasionally I will take some heavy field loads for use on long-ish steel plates or texas stars that may be difficult to drop and I don't want to choke up.

Unless match rules prohibit it, (which they do more and more often), I take some turkey loads for spinners.
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 10:01:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I shoot a 20ga pump in three gun and it is an advantage over
others with 12ga pumps but if you are in it just for the competition.
nothing will beat a simiauto with removable mags.
Link Posted: 7/2/2013 10:25:16 PM EDT
[#8]
I've never seen OO buckshot used in 3gun.. Usually birdshot #7 1/2 or even #8.

Some guys run reduced recoil slugs...  I'm a thin guy w/o a lot of 'padding' and I just use a recoil-friendly technique instead of reduced power loads. Simple as pushing hard forward with the forward hand, pulling back hard with the grip hand, and only light/average shoulder pressure = no bruised shoulders after lots of slugs.  Guys who pull back hard in to the shoulder get hammered when shooting full power 1oz slugs.  Poor suckers.

Link Posted: 10/11/2013 10:41:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Reason I ask is because I want a competition shotgun but 12ga slugs and some buckshot is really hard kickers. I don't mind a 20ga but what if I want the power later?
View Quote

You wont notice the recoil while you're shooting the stage.

You might afterwards though
Link Posted: 10/16/2013 3:22:03 PM EDT
[#10]
If you have injuries a 20 guage is an option. Look at TACCOM for shell holders. There is less support for 20 guage but its not impossible to use. You may need to increase your choke for long steel.

I bought 250 slugs when I started 3gun 3 years ago and still have some left. You do not shoot many unless your local match director loves them.
Link Posted: 11/5/2013 10:15:31 AM EDT
[#11]
7.5 low brass for 90% of the stages and some reduced recoil slugs (usally say tactical) just in case. never been to a stage that called for buckshot, but anything is possible.

MD will put out a list of MIN ammo amounts, rule of thumb bring 1.5 to 2 times that ammount.

Link Posted: 11/5/2013 10:55:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
98% of the time I am using generic bulk Federal, Winchester or Remington loads.

They all run like a champ in my SLP.

Buckshot or slugs are necessary when they are called for specifically.

Occasionally I will take some heavy field loads for use on long-ish steel plates or texas stars that may be difficult to drop and I don't want to choke up.

Unless match rules prohibit it, (which they do more and more often), I take some turkey loads for spinners.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 2:54:33 PM EDT
[#13]
I shoot an m2 in 12  and my wife shoots an m2 in 20.... I'd be lying if I didn’t say that her 20 is much easier to manage, shoot "quick" and shoot on the move than my 12. She has never been at a disadvantage with it, even at extended ranges.

If you are smaller stature or very recoil sensitive don’t let all the "bigger is better" boys steer you away from trying a 20 gauge.

as for ammo for shotgun in 3 gun 99% of what you will shoot will be shot with an occasional slug are two thrown in.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top