Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2016 6:47:51 AM EDT
I previously attended Max Velocity Tactical’s live fire team tactics and  patrol classes in  2013 and 2014, respectively. When MVT offered Force on Force Team Tactics with UTM Man Marker rounds, I decided to make the trip back to WV.  

In Force on Force, MVT uses UTM Man Marker rounds. A special bolt is used in your own AR to propel a lightweight plastic pellet at a little under 400 feet per second. The rounds feel like a bee sting at close range with thin clothing. Effective range is about 50 yards. The pain level is low at distance with two layers of clothing, but you know when you get hit. Incentive to use effective tactics and cover so you won’t get hit.

There are no prerequisites for Force on Force but you will get much more out of the class if you take Combat Team Tactics and Combat Patrol first. You’ll be part of a 9-man squad facing same. The squad that wins every time is the squad that employs solid small unit tactics. Each exercise is structured in “capture the flag” style where you defend and attack separate objectives. Effective mission planning, understanding terrain and application of fire and maneuver and flanking are what it’s all about. It is far removed from airsoft or paintball free-for-all.

On Saturday, we did four separate exercises after we loosened up with rehearsals. Every exercise was a learning experience in itself. The recurring theme was simple, though: the team that wins is the team that aggressively applies solid light infantry tactics.  Fire and maneuver, attack from the flank and support by fire takes the objective every time. After each engagement, MVT cadre gave feedback for both teams to identify what went well and what needed improvement.

Sunday started out with a full 13-man squad attack against entrenched OPFOR. Teams were mixed to give a different perspective to students. Enemy positions were located in depth and sited in a way that prohibited steam-rolling a single bunker. It took solid leadership and textbook execution to take the objective with minimal casualties. This exercise was repeated with different leaders to drive the lessons home. This part of the class was perhaps the most beneficial to many. That was due to detailed, constructive criticism given to the class immediately following the drills.

The previous teams were regrouped for two final exercises Sunday afternoon. It was evident that the teams were applying what we learned. Both team employed effective tactics that resulted in an interesting ebb and flow of battle.  

Force on Force is an excellent progression of light infantry tactics that build on the Combat Team Tactics and Combat Patrol building blocks. I would sell spare firearms to attend it if I was short on cash. It’s that beneficial. MVT’s quality of instruction has continued to improve.  If you are truly serious about preparing for uncertain times, Force on Force is a must-take class. Their next class is 10-11 Dec 2016.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 12:52:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 1:10:42 PM EDT
[#2]
The FOF are great classes. went early this year and really learned a lot I recommend anyone to come and take a class with Max and his staff.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top