Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/12/2016 12:43:46 PM EDT
I decided to take the Fighting Pistol course after seeing some of Tactical Responses YouTube videos. I use to have the mentality, that I have a gun and that's all I need. Then I realized the more I read and study I was very wrong. I really needed training. I did take two courses at a local range (holster draw and rapid fire pistol) these two courses had a bunch of martial gun handling and wouldn't let students carry a loaded gun unless they were shooting. To make it worse you were chastised for bringing loaded magazines. After that I decided to go ahead and book the Fighting Pistol course with Tactical Response, the course took place in Camden, Tennessee.

I read the gear list for the class (which can be found on the website). I went ahead and bought everything on the gear list and a V.O.K. I used everything on the gear list, but rain gear and elbow pads. The knee pads were a God sent at the end of day one and all of day two. Even though my primary gun worked perfectly throughout the course. I brought a backup gun just in case and you should too. You will run your gear HARD, so don't cheap out. I am happy I resisted the urge to cheap out. The gear I personally used was 5.11 operators belt, Blackhawk double magazine pouch, Safariland level 3 holster, and for my primary pistol I used the Springfield XD-9 (no malfunctions or gun problems to report).

Day one came and I was told that be at the store by 8:00 am. I showed up around 7:30 am and met Marilyn she was nice and I checked in. Then I took a seat and met my instructors. The instructors for the class were Tim Morris and Jordan Winkler. Tim was funny and had lots of crude humor (which I enjoyed) and knew his stuff. Tim is nothing less than a tactical genius. Jordan was young and reserved, but could also make you laugh. Jordan also knew handgun tactics like the back of his hand. Then class started Tim and Jordan introduced themselves to the class. The class was mostly men and one married couple. My classmates ranged anywhere from former military to medics and of course concerned citizens. There was 12 people in my class all of them from different parts of the country and all of them were great people. The students introduced themselves and I got to know them better throughout the course. After that the instructors went over the medical plan and safety rules. Then they started to talk about survival principles, tactical gun handling, type one malfunction clearing, and the lecture on proper grip, sight alignment, and stuff of that nature. Then they demonstrated the proper draw out of a holster and safety and decocker instructions (Beretta 92, Sig Sauer P226, and etc).

Then we hit the range, all the range is a large piece of flat dirt with a berm to stop the bullets. That's all the range is, which is perfect I enjoyed it just fine. The instructors then showed us again how to draw your pistol step by step (I loved this). Then we drew our pistols out one step at a time during this time the instructors checked and make sure everyone of us was doing this correctly. Then we begin to do live fire drills and emergency reloads. Then we started to asses the target and scan for other bad guys, cover, good guys, and so on. Then we conducted various DEA dot drills, speed drills, and F.A.S.T. Then we learned how to fix type 2 and 3 malfunctions. This part of the range day was my favorite part of the day I have had only limited malfunction training and for the rest of the day during all drills we did malfunction training. Then we learned about “fight stopping shots” and where to aim (this was eye opening to me). Then we started to do strong hand and off hand shooting drills and how to deal with malfunctions doing so (this was interesting and I enjoyed shooting off hand it was different). Then we learned ground fighting and shooting on the move. I was shooting on my back, then kneel, and then stand all while shooting from each position. Then at the end of day one we did a debrief and was told our homework (yes there is homework and you better do it).

Then came dinner at the end of day one the instructors said we should all eat together for dinner. So we all went to a local favorite restaurant and the learning continued. We talked about what tomorrow would hold and received some extra advice and tactics. I was also able to meet Calvin which is another instructor at Tactical Response he is also another funny wise guy. I was able to know my classmates better because of this dinner. If you ever get the opportunity to go to dinner with the instructors and other classmates please take up the offer and go.

Day two was very eye opening and serious. That is the day the lecture on mindset, tactics, and lethal force was on. Everything from PTSD to investigations were covered. You would have to be there to get the full context and meaning of it all. That lecture was life changing to say the least. It will make you think about your life choices and lifestyle in general. It was nothing less than a lecture EVERY gun owner should hear.

Day two on the range involved more shooting on the move at faster rates, shooting behind cover and how to do so (shooting behind cover isn't as easy as I thought). Then they taught us how to shoot from a retention positions which is something I have never even heard of, but now since I know how to shoot from the retention position I wouldn't give up that knowledge for the world. At the end of day two we all talked for a little bit about tactics and guns. Then we debrief and they handed out our certificates. Thus making everyone in the class alumni which does come with some cool perks!!!

All in all, I am just floored by the training I received at Tactical Response and I want to take their medical course as soon as possible. This course was worth every penny and then some. They did not disappoint at all. One of many valuable lessons I learned from this class was to treat your gun like a tool, not like a safe queen. If you own or carry a pistol for self defense you NEED this course.
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 4:07:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Oh boy I'm in on this one.....
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 10:18:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Brace yourself for the onslaught of crap from all the James Yager haters.

For the record I took the same course and thought it was good.
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 10:23:40 PM EDT
[#3]
In.
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 10:25:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I took Fighting Pistol in 2009.

I didn't feel like there was much of an emphasis on marksmanship.

I took a few things from the class but not much.
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 10:26:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Was your gun thrown on the ground?  Did the instructor shoot your vehicle?
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 10:44:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Was your gun thrown on the ground?  Did the instructor shoot your vehicle?
View Quote

Yes and no, it was a Learning experience for me and that right there made me realize that my gun is a tool.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top