Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/12/2015 12:10:36 AM EDT
I wrote a review for the Defoor Proformance Shooting scoped rifle class I took
Last weekend. I posted it in the FL HTF;

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_8_10/591108_Kyle_Defoor_Scoped_Rifle_class_review.html
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 12:28:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Great review and discussion.  DM Training and Rifleman training is one of my babies as well.

You brought up some great points that arose in the class:  I try to emphasize as strongly as possible about the importance of having a quality optic mated with a quality mount, that is attached securely, for the reasons that are clear when you read that AAR.  Some people think that means to crank down on the ring screws with lots of force, but it does not.  I personally use a torque wrench and look at the recommended specs for the screws based on length, diameter, and thread pitch/surface area, along with Blue Loc-tite  242. Cross bolts for the mount base are tightened with a torque wrench as well.  I use levels to get everything set up so windage error isn't a factor of scope cant.

If it comes down to it, I would invest in quality mounts and optics over a high end barrel if you're really on a budget, especially with 5.56/.223 Wylde.  There are plenty of barrels that can be had for a decent price.  What I have seen over the years is that cheap scopes simply break.  They are not worth the money wasted on them.  Save up and get something solid that will stand the test of time.

Sounds like a great course.  I talked with him at SHOT last year a little, and he's a very approachable, professional guy.

Link Posted: 1/5/2016 12:41:08 AM EDT
[#2]
tag
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 11:45:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like a great class.  I've always wanted to do a really in depth class like this, but unfortunately I'm here in NY where most sane firearm enthusiasts avoid like the plague.  Maybe someday I'll front the cost and make a drive to a free state, but probably not in the near future.
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 2:34:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I think your way off on blaming the ammo for a shooters group sizes.  There's a lot of factors to consider when shooting 1 moa at 100 yards, and equipment is only part of the equation.  The majority of the work is on the shooter.
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 3:24:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Defoor used that shooters gun with that ammo and groups were huge. Defoor used that shooters gun with different ammo and groups shrunk.

Same shooter used the same gun and different ammo, groups decreased drastically.

What should we look at first considering this?
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 10:15:01 AM EDT
[#6]
The lesson is about making sure your rifle shoots to a decent accuracy standard before you bring it to a class.  
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 4:28:01 PM EDT
[#7]
I agree. I've seen that ammo shoot well in other people's guns. If you didn't know, I think a well known and trusted load from a manufacturer known for making premium ammo would be a better gamble.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 1:40:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Topic Moved
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top