Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/5/2015 10:22:12 AM EDT
There are some mis-conceptions concerning what is taught in this class, so I wanted to do a more complete review of it.

The C3 class is designed to give the armed civilian an edge in defending himself, in a WROL type situation.   That being said, I think the T,T,P's learned here are actually very applicable to a wide range of violent urban encounters.  It is done on a square range, at the Velocity Training Center, with various urban mock-ups, to simulate streets, alleys, and, various room structures.  Combat Team Tactics (CTT) is a pre-requisite for this course.  

COI.  Day One begins, as always with a good safety brief, and a synopsis of what will be covered.  When then quickly moved into a zero check and some weapons manip drills.  Although CTT (Combat Team Tactics) is a pre-requisite for this course, we did some weapons manip drills, just to ensure everyone was up to speed.  We then transitioned into urban style warfare, with ready-up drills at various close ranges.  Once we could accurately engage, movement was then added in.  And accuracy went to hell!  We did a mod of the "RTR" drill taught at MVT, which is the standard "react to contact" drill we use.  But the movement was added in as soon as the target is spotted or you're taking fire.  This is gonna take a lot of practice.  Putting that reticle on target and squeezing the trigger is hard on the run.  I had a hard time with this one.  Once we could do the RTR reasonably well, we then formed into patrol groups and learned to do it with a buddy, then 2, then 3, building up to a 4-man team.  This is so you can practice doing this by yourself, or with a partner, or as a 3/4-man team, if you should be so lucky.  We then patrolled down the streets, learning where to walk, how to clear windows, and doorways, and finally intersections.  There is a lot to this, in added complexity, after doing rural patrolling procedures.  The vertical component must be factored in.  More complex scanning procedures.  Different ways to "pop" from cover.  The distance to (and away from) danger areas (DA's) are more abrupt.  Contact distances are compressed.  Crossing linear danger areas becomes an art form.  Once we walked through it, we started doing some dry fire drills in reaction to contact.  Once that was set, we went live fire.  This where quick mag changes and/or other weapons manip really comes into play.   There is literally no time to duck behind a tree or whatever and change a mag.  If you run dry for several seconds, and nobody is covering, you could have a very bad day.  But it also brings home why it's really nice to have a buddy in a gunfight.  

So you never thought how hard it would be just walking down a street!  This is simulating you having to move out of an urban area, on foot, when trapped by whatever circumstances.  I never really realized how dangerous an urban environment was until I simulated fighting in one.  All the skill sets from CTT must be mastered and you have to kick up your game up a notch or two.  The preferred prone shooting position is now replaced with a lot of stand up gunfighting.  Reaction times are compressed.  You have to learn to react smoothly but quickly.   Communication again is critical.  Movement, Angles of Fire, and active muzzle awareness must be become second nature.

Day Two begins with a quick lecture and demo of how to ID positions on buildings, when talking to someone else, usually on the radio (or cell phone).  This is to identify shooter positions to others, both friendly, and not-so-friendly.  We then went into room clearing procedures.  This was where it got really fascinating.  And difficult.  The purpose here is to know how to fall back into structures if the streets get too hot, or, to also clear your own home, if absolutely necessary, like kids down the hallway.  The technique taught is a procedure developed in wartime by the instructor (former USMC NCO, with combat in Iraq) and also by the Brits in Northern Ireland.  Instead of "flooding " the room, you "pie" it, from both sides of the doorway.  This allows you to scan (and engage) about 85% of the room before entering.  The last 15% or so is then scanned by "popping" into the room, clearing the near corners, and then entering.   It is a huge change from everything you've ever seen.  But makes a lot of sense.  We practiced this until we got reasonably good at it.  Center feed doors.  Corner feed doors.  Open doors.  Closed doors.   A quick lecture on breaching, covering mostly shotgun breaching, as that would be our most likely technique.   Dry fire.  Then live fire.  

Man this stuff was totally new to me.  I mean I did the old blank fire "MOUT" training back in the day, but nothing compares to doing this live fire.  The proximity to your buddy (and his muzzle blast) takes getting used to.  You have to be tight on your sectors of fire and active muzzle awareness.  

Once we had a good grasp of the material, we went through several scenarios, with changing room conditions, occupants, etc.  This was intense.  Short breaks for snacks, piss call, reload mags, and back in.  BY the end of the day we were pretty smoked but learned a shit-load of new stuff.

The Instructor.  Lee is a former Marine NCO, with extensive combat time in Iraq, including some long gun time with the scout/sniper bubbas.  He is bringing relevant, recent experience to the table, and modifies it for our use.  The number of times he brought up points that I thought, wow, that just makes so much sense, or yeah, I thought that sounded like bullshit, were numerous and plentiful.  You are getting a huge amount of info, about what worked, and what didn't work, in urban combat.  Not only that, but his style is simultaneously laid back, but very intense.   So it is very easy to follow, yet  keeps you interested, on your toes.  One of the best instructors I've had to date.

The Facilities.  Are primitive, but adequate.  There is running water for re-supply.  Porta-potties.  New square ranges, with nice plywood mock-ups for doorways and walls.  The square range is modified, in that you have berms on three sides to handle approx. 180 deg of shooting in the simulated urban environment.  Come prepared with everything you need for a day's training, including sack lunch.

Weapons.  The important thing here is to wring out your gear at the home range before you show up.  This is not an entry level class, so you need to have a few things already sorted out.  Like zero, and weapons manip drills.  Practice your mag changes until they are smooth and automatic.  Make sure and OIL your piece.  Two point sling recommended, with a quick adjust feature if possible.  We didn't have any major malfunctions.  Everyone ran AR's and they worked just fine.    

Ammo.  NO Green Tip or penetrator ammo allowed.  Any standard FMJ is fine.  Steel case is fine for now, just don't let Max see it (joke; he hates the stuff).  We had a mix of brass and steel case, 55 and 62 gr.  Everything went bang with no issues.  

Round Count.  Was high, but we got a little, uh, enthusiastic with the training.  I shot over 1660 rds this weekend (although I showed up early for Day One CTT, and NOD-F).  You could probably do it with around 1,000 rds.  I would also recommend about 20 mags if you have them.. Really speeds up the reloading time in between drills.

Equipment.  Nothing really different here, in urban combat, only to say whatever you're using, it has to work, quickly and smoothly.  There is literally no where to hide sometimes, so mag changes must be smooth and quick.  If you're fighting your gear, with klunky mag pouches, it kinda sucks.  Recommend open top pouches, with some kind of retention feature that lets you run without anything over the top.  HSGI tacos work really well here.  I am also designing and testing some stuff out.  

Clothing.  Same as ever.  I was running OCP cammies and combat shirts, which worked fine.  Also rocked out the ECWS level 5 softshell parka on the last day, with drizzly rain.  Shed rain well without baking you in a WP shell.  Smart wool socks.  Foot powder.  Kept the dogs happy.  Mechanix gloves-awesome as usual.

Boots.  Lowa Zephrs, non-gtx.  GTG.

Sustain:  Solid urban combat training.  Good instruction.

Improve:  Facilities (as we speak).

Final thoughts.  This was a real eye-opener for me.  Combat in an urban area is entirely different application of the basics you learned in CTT.  It is challenging.  Much more face-paced, in your face, type of fighting.  It was designed to be training for a violent home invasion, or to E&E out of the city in a WROL situation.  But you know, I think these skill sets could be applicable in a variety of urban scenarios.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 10:50:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Couple of questions:

1)  How were "streets" simulated?  Buildings with upper floor windows, etc?

2)  What kind of ammo was recommended for shotgun breaching?  Did you do any live fire shotgun breaching, or just discuss?

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 5:04:11 PM EDT
[#2]
They have several plywood panels, that are readily configurable, as a long street, or put together as rooms.  Spaces are left to simulate intersections.  No upper stories, that's just simulated.  But you better be scanning there anyway!  

Breaching is just discussed.  The recommended breaching round is a solid slug, 1" from hinges.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 6:42:03 PM EDT
[#3]

Cool.  I always wondered about "splashback" from standard slugs or buck, when applied to steel door hinges.... I guess that's why helmets and eye pro are good idea!  

I know Paul Howe has recommended frangible buck, or frangible slugs, but those are kinda hard to come by for non-mil and non-LE folks.

Link Posted: 10/7/2015 7:33:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Yeah this is a case of using what's readily available.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top