Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/13/2015 1:04:33 AM EDT
I attended these two classes back to back 5/30/15-5/31/15

TL,DR version: do you want to learn/review the fundamentals of shooting and manipulating the AR platform? Do so with an instructor who has a sense of humor?
If yes, then go here and sign up for a class http://www.waypointshooting.com/handgun-1-1-1-1/  

Topics

Firearms safety rules
Safety manipulation aka the safety dance and no it's not this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfS5F8WHUjM
Unloading and locking bolt to the rear( did not cover this as everyone knew how to do this)
Introduction to sight offset and holdovers at close range and how they changed over 7 to 35 yards
Stance, posture, grip,
Zero and confirming zero, due to range limits this was done at 30 yards with appropriate adjustments to imitate a 50 yard zero
Trigger press and control
Rhythm and multiple target drills
Reloading: deliberate/administrative, top off, and bolt lock reloads
Malfunction clearance
Mini challenges on steel targets

Comments:
Beyond a few range sessions with friends, I had no training on the AR-15.  
I personally went from being unable to tell if my safety was on without looking at it(yes, I really was that bad) to being able to get 28 hits on steel in 15 seconds, load/unload, activate the safety without having to do the  "what am I doing here again".
The intro to rifle clinic is about four hours and covers the topics from the Safety Rules to Zeroing and Deliberate loading. Is it worth it if you are already planning on taking Rifle 1? Yes, especially if you are as unfamiliar with your rifle as I was. The clinic is an excellent opportunity to start learning the basic skills and check that your gear works before taking a full 8 hour class.
If it isn't obvious, I believe the time, money, and effort spent was completely worth it. If you're in the North East Ohio area, definitely take a look at Waypoint Shooting School.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top