Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/5/2014 9:44:12 PM EDT
I attended this class last week,10/27 - 10/31.

Instructors were excellent.  Two were proteges of Col. Cooper.  I benefitted from the class, and felt I received fair value.

I was one of two Steyr Scout shooters.  I had a neutral to negative opinion of this rifle prior to class.  BOY, WAS I WRONG!!  This is a smooth feeding, accurate, light platform.  The other Steyr shooter was retired police, a GAS-match champion, and he loves BOTH his Steyr scouts.  I understand why.

I didn't think the forward-mounted, low power scope would work for me.  It did, wonderfully.  While it's not a RDS, it is very fast and I could run it with both eyes open.  Nine of eleven shooters had scopes mounted more or less forward; only two were more conventionally "rear mounted."

Nine of eleven shooters fired Ruger GSRs.  Eight of nine had repeated fail to feeds and / or fail to eject.  For whatever reason, the FACTORY mags were not feeding rounds under the Mauser-style extractor.  When a round did feed correctly, there were ejection issues.  When removing a round from the chamber, there was failure to eject, even with "vigorous" bolt work.  Before class, I wanted to fall in love with this rifle.  I did not, indeed, I was somewhat turned off.

This next point is tricky.  There was NO deferred maintenance at Gunsite.  The HVAC and plumbing worked; the parking lots were good; the target stands rotated at the press of a button.  That said, the place looked shabby.  The windmill / weather vane needed a paint job five years ago.  The maintenance shed had neatly stacked piles of non-essential crap against the walls (paint buckets, palettes, etc.).  The "Raven 1" jeep sat in the shed on a flat front tire.  The Vlai simulator had crumbling tables at the staging area.  By the end of the week, the trash cans at the York range were overflowing with empty ammo boxes (no trash runs at night / first light?).   I'm a satisfied customer, but Gunsite is too good to let this lax maintenance continue.  If you look around objectively, the conditions do not inspire confidence.

I'll go back to Gunsite if I have a chance.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 3:44:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Thank you for your report. What were the names of your instructors?
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 3:53:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I didn't think the forward-mounted, low power scope would work for me.  It did, wonderfully.  While it's not a RDS, it is very fast and I could run it with both eyes open.  Nine of eleven shooters had scopes mounted more or less forward; only two were more conventionally "rear mounted."
View Quote

Expand upon this.  Arfcom tells me that a low-magnification forward-mounted scope is a terrible idea.  But I like it on my Enfield .303 "scout".  
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 8:22:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Instructors:  Rangemaster, Il Ling New.  Ass't Rangemasters:  Dave Harris, Mike Moore.

Forward mounted scope:  Just as you wouldn't use a RDS for an egg-shoot at 300 yards or a hostage situation, you wouldn't use a forward, low-powered scope.  However, if you were trying to place a round into an 8" vital zone ("minute of critter") from 0 - 300 yards, and wanted reasonably quick target acquisition, the forward-mounted scope works wonderfully well.  Again, I walked into class with a neutral to slightly negative prejudice against this rig, and left after five days / 465 rounds as  a solid respecter, possibly a convert.

I'm NOT saying it's better than a conventional scope.  I AM saying it's faster than a conventional scope.  Maybe this is the best explanation: it's 75% (??) as fast as a RDS, but extends your range to 300+ yards.
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 10:24:09 PM EDT
[#4]
explanation makes sense to me.
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 2:19:52 PM EDT
[#5]
No one had a Savage Scout rifle? Had anyone commented how they performed?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top