Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2014 9:04:31 PM EDT
This past weekend T.J. and Bruce hosted Level II carbine at Tiger Valley just outside of Waco.
My review:

There were 3 students including me which in my opinion is indicative of the mindset of a lot of "armed citizens" in that there are a few million people within an hour or so of Tiger Valley that could use some good training but I digress.

All of the students were Arfcommers, with Dwayne from Nebraska, Jaoslander a local, and me.

We began class promptly at 0800 with a brief but thorough safety class and then went to the north 1 range to confirm zero. After that we did transition drills with TJ induced failures, practiced the basics of close range shooting and moving from one target to another.

Next we went to the 200 yard line and shot head shots on targets and 100 yards and then 200 yards on steel.

We shot moving targets from 200 yards and that was big fun. It climaxed with each shooter getting 25 minutes of shooting at moving targets that were completely random. It was a good simulation of an enemy force moving around behind a hill or running across your field of fire.

We then moved to another range and ran drills from barricades shooting very small steel targets situated in small windows to simulate longer distance. This was a fun and challenging drill.

We broke for lunch and then resumed training after an hour. T.J. and Bruce assisted as needed or when requested. I can't say enough good things about Bruce and his patient and professional style when helping people with tricks of the trade to reduce times or increase accuracy

Bruce imparting wisdom at the tower:

We then ran a drill I have named the "Helo Drill". Here is a video of me running the Helo Drill.

The Helo fuselage is mounted on coils springs so it is an unstable platform. After doing all that running and getting up and down your heart rate is up and the platform is moving making the drill a challenge. it was my favorite drill of the class.

The students shooting from the 200 yard line:

Next we ran some qualification drills on the 140 yard range. These drills included Modified Navy, MARSOC and Magpul qual courses.

JaOslander on a qual course:

Video of Dwayne on a qualification course:

Day two brought more of the same with an emphasis on speed and accuracy. T.J. fed us a lunch of pulled pork, slaw, beans and potato chips.

Working the butts:

Trying to get that 25 second par time. Missed by that much

We went up the tower and engaged targets from 50 to 500 meters.

View of targets and simulated vehicles from the tower.

Here we practiced shooting from odd positions and through loop holes.

During this class I learned a lot. I had previous lessons reinforced and left the class having met some great guys.
I highly recommend taking Tiger Valley's carbine series of classes.

ETA: Embed fail and you can find more info on Tiger Valley at http://www.tigervalley.com/
Jim
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 5:44:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice...had some issues with the sling snagging?

What's the scoop in the ear pro?

Link Posted: 9/4/2014 1:54:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice...had some issues with the sling snagging?

What's the scoop in the ear pro?

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h12/jimanders1967/TV14CL2/DSCF0059_zpsc7efbbe1.jpg
View Quote

The ear pro I bought in the arfcom store. It is just plain old hearing protection, not electronic.

Yes I had some issues with the sling snagging on my holster. I was trying out a new way to carry my rifle while running. Bruce suggested it. I liked it but the snagging issue made me go back to way I was doing before. This video was the first time I had ever ran this drill. My next run was twice as fast. I ended up with the best time in class for that drill Just FYI, I wanted to show the reality of it ,and not practice a drill until I was really good and then post a video of me being awesome....

As you can see being the first to run a drill you have never done can expose you weaknesses especially since I was trying a new method of carrying the rifle like I did.

Thanks for the reply,

Jim
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 2:58:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Tag for review.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top