Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/23/2014 5:06:54 PM EDT
Lighthorse Tactical Concealed Carry Handgun (www.lighthorsetactical.com)

Instructor: Curt Carpenter

Date: 22 MAR 14

Round Count: ~300 Handgun

Duration: 8 hours

Location: Double Tap Training Grounds Calera, AL (www.doubletapal.com)

BLUF: Training with your handgun from concealment is probably not something that most of us do enough of, and this class is an excellent opportunity to get a lot of high quality training into a compressed amount of time.

First Block: The day started with intros, safety, and range rules - pretty standard stuff. We then moved on to discussing different carry options and techniques and the different equipment needed for each.

Second Block: Once the academics were out of the way, we started some warm up drills from open carry. First was just working drawstroke and accuracy, firing one round from the holster then returning to the holster. After brushing up on the basics, the shot timer came out. Using the shot timer, we worked on our draw speed and shot tempo. After a short period of time, everyone in the class was able to draw and fire an accurate shot in under 1.5 seconds, and then were all able to fire accurate shots at 1/4 second splits.

Third Block: For the third block we began working from concealment. I was using an AIWB rig, so I simply wore a tshirt over the top of it. The others in the class started with an open front garment, and then changed to a closed front garment. Techniques for drawing with both types of apparel were taught and then practiced using some of the same drills that we had done earlier to show that just because there was a garment in the way it didn't mean our draw would be much slower.

Fourth Block: Once everyone was comfortable drawing using the variety of techniques covered, some movement and thinking was added. Using colored paper as targets, we had to draw, find the color of target that had been called out, and put the required number of hits on the target. After a few tries at this, the use of cover was added in. On the "threat" command, we fell back behind a wall and engaged the required targets with the required number of hits. We also worked in pairs to simulate being with an armed buddy, and each were responsible for certain sectors of the range and needed to give the targets the required numbers of hits.

Fifth Block: The vehicle defense section - definitely a time to pay attention considering the amount of time the average person spends in a vehicle. We had a Grand Prix with virgin class just itching to be shot out, and we gladly obliged. We first started by learning the affect that glass has on bullets while shooting through the windshield and the side windows. Once this was demonstrated, each of us ran through a vehicle defense drill a few times. This was a great drill, as I know that I (and I can safely assume that most others are in the same situation) do not practice drawing my handgun while in the drivers seat like I should.

Sixth Block: Force on force. This section was definitely an eye opener. Using gas operated Walther P99 replica .40 cal paintball guns we ran through a variety of mostly car-centric scenarios. We put to use all of the techniques and skills we had worked on earlier in the day, but this time someone was shooting back. It definitely drove home the idea of using cover and unorthodox fighting positions, especially when you are faced with 2, 3 or more bad guys.

Summary: This is probably one of the more important classes that someone who carries on a daily basis should take. While all kinds of high speed gear is cool, the likelihood of getting in a gunfight while wearing it for the average person is pretty much nonexistent. You are much more likely to find yourself needing to use your carry sidearm, and as such you owe it to yourself, your family, and your friends to be as proficient as possible with your carry setup. Take the class - $125 is a steal for getting a class with both vehicle defense and force on force.

Gear: G19 in a GCode INCOG supported by a DSG Arms Alpha 1.5" belt.

Through the windshield.

Working around the car.

Force on force.

Link Posted: 3/23/2014 8:11:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 6:18:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Oh man, I hate I missed that!!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top