Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/25/2016 8:34:10 AM EDT
Has anyone here made the transition from active duty military firearms/marksmanship instructor to civilian pistol/ccw instructor? What organizations recognize military instructor certifications? As I transition out of the Marine Corps I have time to get civilian instructor certifications, but would like to identify the most efficient path for obtaining my desired credentials. End Goal is being able to instruct CCW/pistol marksmanship in as many states as possible, or more specifically WI, IL, MN, IA, MI.
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 1:31:55 PM EDT
[#1]
0913?  Let that place just over a year ago.

From what I've found, it doesn't mean much unless you have an "in", or are insanely good at what you do with lots of other recommendations.

While you're still in, and if your boss is cool, find and take the NRA Law Enforcement instructor courses.  Those mean A LOT.  I ran out of time as I was getting out and buying a house in Texas to take them, but there are some in NC.  At least take the regular NRA instructor courses.  At the very least, you can get the cheap instructor insurance.
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 8:18:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Over at Stone Bay? The new staff at MTU there is garbage. Can't follow WTBN orders and did't appreciate being called out on it.  Luckily I'm at Camp Johnson now, and can pretty much go to whatever training i want for the next two years before I get out. I've been running about 30 shooters through cpp a month and was hoping that would count for more... I guess I'll just chalk it up to experience and throw it in the bag of tricks
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 2:42:27 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By S-3:

Over at Stone Bay? The new staff at MTU there is garbage. Can't follow WTBN orders and did't appreciate being called out on it.  Luckily I'm at Camp Johnson now, and can pretty much go to whatever training i want for the next two years before I get out. I've been running about 30 shooters through cpp a month and was hoping that would count for more... I guess I'll just chalk it up to experience and throw it in the bag of tricks
View Quote

I can help you out with the MN CCW path.  MN's training covers the WI and IA courses as well as Florida (if you're NRA certified or have certifications as an instructor from another Nationally recognized training authority).

If you are planning on working in MN/WI, PM me.  If you are interested, and we can meet, I can help you fast track to the CCW requirements.

Link Posted: 4/8/2016 12:50:20 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm using my GI Bill at Sig Sauer Academy next week for instructor classes.  There;s some other school in Louisiana that does NRA instructor courses using GI BIll too somewhere.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 10:44:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By S-3:
Has anyone here made the transition from active duty military firearms/marksmanship instructor to civilian pistol/ccw instructor? What organizations recognize military instructor certifications? As I transition out of the Marine Corps I have time to get civilian instructor certifications, but would like to identify the most efficient path for obtaining my desired credentials. End Goal is being able to instruct CCW/pistol marksmanship in as many states as possible, or more specifically WI, IL, MN, IA, MI.
View Quote

You're not going to have much luck finding anyone that will recognize your military instructor certifications, in so far as waiving any training requirements. The best advice I can give you, is what another poster already said, and that is to attend an NRA-LE instructor school. Most states will honor CCW/Basic safety classes taught by an NRA instructor.
If your sole interest lies with teaching civilians, you may want to skip NRA-LE and just go plain old NRA basic pistol. It'll cost a little less, and eat up a little less of your time.
Use your military credentials as the basis for your professional resume.

Regardless of the path you choose, don't expect it to be your sole source of income.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top