Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/13/2017 10:51:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gearhead721]
My daughters been in Martial arts for a while. green belt. Shes 10 yrs old.  Loves it!!.

She started another advanced coarse with weapons,  part of it is extreme stretching, splits...

They are physical with her, pushing her to point of pain and crying to do the splits.

They do it slowly and shes sore but ok afterwards. But I wonder if that's cool for 10 yr development.

She is subject to peer pressure, would do anything they make her do. She loves everyone.  Im just not ready to have my little one pushed to pain.

they say they know what their doing.

What do ya think?
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 1:15:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Everythingisawesome] [#1]
My physical therapist streched me to the point of pain, but it was controlled and healthy pain: muscles and tendons being streched by a medical professional.  I would be highly cautious about being pushed to that point in a non-individual setting, especially if she's new to that coursework.

My Kajukenbo instructor gives us some stretches like that, but it's 1-on-1, and they are to be slowly increased over time with good form, not forced into position.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 8:13:35 PM EDT
[#2]
My unscientific, uneducated opinion?  Fuck that noise.  Especially for a child.  

Link Posted: 5/16/2017 11:05:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: gearhead721] [#3]
Thanks for replies. Since posting I've done a bit of research.  A lot of sites say bad things about it so I think I need to talk to teacher.

Mod can close or delete this thread. Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 1:38:10 PM EDT
[#4]
@gearhead721

Stretching can be a complicated issue. There can be gains and losses at the same time. The fundamental that I follow regards the pain. There are many types of pain. I train into certain types of pain but I stop at the threshold of others. This is a very difficult thing for a 10 year old girl to understand without experience. She can probably not judge the limits accurately and I would not trust very many instructors with a 10 year old.

Please, PM me regarding this.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top