Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/6/2016 4:52:22 PM EDT
We have a bunch of dojos around here, virtually all have some form of kids program.

at his age, obviously my expectations are more in line with character and confidence building.  

I also realize that the instructor is a significant consideration for kids that age.

Those caveats out of the way, what's a good martial art to start him with IYO?

I did TKD and TSD as a youngster: both a waste of time IMO.

Link Posted: 5/15/2016 11:06:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gearhead721] [#1]
IMHO, I'd say pick the one within you budget, that will start their muscle memory for self defense.

If, during a attack, we resort to training instead of thought, then your child's training starts now.

Blocks, Kicking, kneeing, punching, running ( the oldest form or self defense),

Supplement with your own teaching,

Something is better then nothing.

Get em started in something, and switch to something else if you don't feel right.

Say no to contracts. Month to month is ok.

Sparing is great ,but equipment is pricey.

Link Posted: 11/3/2016 9:55:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By primuspilum:
I did TKD and TSD as a youngster: both a waste of time IMO.
View Quote

I'd say that was more of an issue with the time and effort put into them or the instructor. Lyoto Machida,Steven Thompson, and some others have shown TKD skills can very effective in mixed martial arts which is about as close to street fighting as you can legally get.
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 10:38:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Both of mine have been in TKD for 3 years now.   Son will be 7 in December and Daughter just turned 9.  Both of mine have ADHD of some form.  I believe that it helps with both discipline and confidence.
Link Posted: 11/8/2016 11:12:12 AM EDT
[#4]
The instructor is more important than the style.  At five, he's not going to learn real fighting skills, it's more structured play with discipline for a year or two, you need an instructor who can encourage and motivate the kids so they enjoy it.  
Link Posted: 11/8/2016 11:34:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Got my 4 yr old in a kickboxing class. She has been going for over 6 months and she loves it. The instructor teaches not just kickboxing but manners and respect as well. Best thing we ever did for the yung'un.
Liked what we were seeing so much the wife and I are now taking it as well.
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 8:28:46 PM EDT
[#6]
I have been a Martial Arts instructor (various styles) for over 15 years and have about 30 years in the martial arts myself.  I have done (or taught) BJJ, TaeKwon-Do, Karate, systema, Jeet Kune Do, Arnis, Kali, Jiu-Jitsu, and Krav Maga.

All this being equal, as young people start this journey they will love it ....or fizz out pretty quick.  Find a good place that caters to families (not kids) and take a few lessons together.  If he sees you in class and you are the one providing the encouragment, he will stick with it.  You can always attend another class where the adults beat each other up.

Thanks
Jeremy
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 8:29:20 PM EDT
[#7]
I have been a Martial Arts instructor (various styles) for over 15 years and have about 30 years in the martial arts myself.  I have done (or taught) BJJ, TaeKwon-Do, Karate, systema, Jeet Kune Do, Arnis, Kali, Jiu-Jitsu, and Krav Maga.

All this being equal, as young people start this journey they will love it ....or fizz out pretty quick.  Find a good place that caters to families (not kids) and take a few lessons together.  If he sees you in class and you are the one providing the encouragment, he will stick with it.  You can always attend another class where the adults beat each other up.

Thanks
Jeremy
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 8:37:48 PM EDT
[#8]
The answer is Judo. Find a USA Judo accredited school. The coaches have been checked out and current on injury protocols in order to keep their credentials.  Judo is a great first Art for young people.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 4:06:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Boxing. Here's why....
1. Boxing teaches real life fighting skill applyable to the streets.
2. You can learn to stay focused even after taking a punch.
3. You learn how to really engage a naturally fluid opponet.

Karate. Tkd all that is balony,preset conditioned movements. Wrestling and jits are great but if you arent good with your hands you will get smoked!

I have a newborn and a 3 yo,  both will be boxing by 5 yo...

Some guys like steven thompson, anderson silva and machida make
the karate styles look good and work well but they are anomolies really as it takes a really special athlete to be them.
Boxing with head movement, punching and footwork power drills ect really gets you devoloped for seld defense.
And its FUN!
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 4:52:20 AM EDT
[#10]
I was in TKD (not ATA) from age 6 to age 13 and it made me who I am today. Taught me respect and drive. I plan on putting my kiddo into it when he is older.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 5:03:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Karate man bruise on the inside, they don't show their weaknesses.

That's all I got.
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 4:51:23 PM EDT
[#12]
I would recommend BJJ. Or BJJ + Judo.

Several reasons:

1) Grappling is the most basic core unarmed fighting skill.
2) Grappling involves actual fore-on-force sparring, so you learn to deal with a resisting opponent.
3) It takes much longer to learn BJJ than any striking art, so it is best to start ASAP.
4) BJJ will provide all around fitness, including strength, flexibility and coordination.
5) BJJ provides much more useful fighting skills for a small child: children's fights are more likely to be wrestling matches rather than punching and kicking, and it will give him a skill set he can use against bullies with confidence.

If not BJJ, go with Judo or wrestling.
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 5:00:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Sirmohawk:
Karate. Tkd all that is balony,preset conditioned movements. Wrestling and jits are great but if you arent good with your hands you will get smoked!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

More the other way around. Grappling is the core skillset.

Personally I wouldn't want my small children boxing with the full contact striking.

Some guys like steven thompson, anderson silva and machida make
the karate styles look good and work well but they are anomolies really as it takes a really special athlete to be them.
Boxing with head movement, punching and footwork power drills ect really gets you devoloped for seld defense.
And its FUN!

They are not really using pure karate but they are adding their karate skills to the core MMA styles of BJJ/wrestling/boxing/kickboxing.

Karate has lots of powerful stuff, but traditionally it wasn't trained in a full contact environment, limiting it. However, if you add karate or TKD techniques to solid Thai kickboxing (and grappling skills) you can increase the range of effective techniques. Karate sidekicks, spin kicks and spinning backfist are powerful techniques, but they are useless is you don't have good basic kickboxing and grappling skills to go along with them.
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 5:04:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TechOps] [#14]
My daughter started Karate at 3.5 and loves it.
It's more confidence, discipline, and team stuff than "bloodsport" type training ofc.

She's been after it for almost a year now and loves it.

They learn:
Blocks, kicks, punches, and the rest is "team" activities ect..
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 6:21:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Just find a good teacher. My kids have been in a year and love the teacher. He decided to retire. No one else around teaches that style. So now we are looking at new schools and new styles. And now they have to start over with a new style
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 8:38:47 PM EDT
[#16]
My 5 year old started BJJ two months ago. He's really gotten into it, goes three days a week to a small but dedicated instructor/dojo. He's already mastering his mount and arm/leg locks. He's becoming even stronger than he was as a big kid for his age, his instructor focuses on discipline and and perfecting the basics. His class has 18 kids, five of which are his age so he always has someone to spar with.

I'd highly suggest not going down the route of a "belt school" or somewhere focusing on forms, he'll likely get board. Most BJJ schools have a few martial ars mixed in along with the grappling and as far as a defensive art, BJJ is one of the better ones IMO.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 5:56:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Just following up with a relevant update.

He was going to a TKD school for about a year and it went out of business.

I took him to a Gracie affilliated BJJ school this past weekend to check out the kids class. He loved it.

Upside is the guy that runs the school is a physician in his day job, so I don’t need to worry about him closing
shop because he can’t make rent
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 12:47:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Sounds like you did good O.P.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 1:29:55 PM EDT
[#19]
I agree that the teacher is the most important choice, not the style.

Secondary would be the style. I think BJJ is a great choice. I have my kids in a program that teaches a mix, including Shaolin Kenpo. Personal opinio, worth price paid, is some sort of grappling and countering chokes/holds is a necessity.

In my experience, all fights end up on the ground.
Link Posted: 12/22/2017 10:22:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Depending on the area you live in sometimes you have to go with something is better than nothing.  I really wish there was a good boxing gym near us. We go to a place that has tkd,kick boxing and bjj. The owner teaches it all. He has been a blackbelt since the 80s. He then did some boxing and a legit purple belt in bjj.  My kids and wife train there. He does a good job teaching basics but a time will come when they need more. He has tried to diversify and is open minded unlike a lot of traditional martial arts.  We drive 25 miles to get this. The options are few.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top