Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/15/2015 12:46:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ReallyLongAction]
I'll be 39 in August. I'll start building a new home in the next couple of months, so I wont have time to devote to starting anything that will take commitment like Krav Magra until I'm done with my house , but I am seriously considering taking up Krav Magra after I am done with building.   Is someone in their late 30's too old to start something like this?

Tips? Suggestions?
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 1:03:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Make sure you stretch and can do basic movements with your body. Trying doing a round of calisthenics and figure out what your body can and can't do. It will help you figure out what you need to improve before you even start. If you cant lift your knee above your waist, kneeing someone is going to be harder for you. Just stay generally active and make sure you stretch alot and have good knowledge of your bodies limits. Practice whatever you learn in class at home if you really want to retain the information.
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 1:08:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AquaticSherpa:
Make sure you stretch and can do basic movements with your body. Trying doing a round of calisthenics and figure out what your body can and can't do. It will help you figure out what you need to improve before you even start. If you cant lift your knee above your waist, kneeing someone is going to be harder for you. Just stay generally active and make sure you stretch alot and have good knowledge of your bodies limits. Practice whatever you learn in class at home if you really want to retain the information.
View Quote

Great advise. Thanks.

BTW- I had to google calisthenics, though  I can lift my knee above the waist. So I have that going for me.
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 1:11:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By ReallyLongAction:

Great advise. Thanks.

BTW- I had to google calisthenics, though  I can lift my knee above the waist. So I have that going for me.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ReallyLongAction:

Great advise. Thanks.

I have a great krav maga book, its called Krav Maga by David Khan. It has a lot about the history and shows some moves. Your building your own house so Im sure your active enough to do Krav without having to worry about over doing yourself. If you need any tips for anything fitness related feel free to IM me.
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 3:48:06 AM EDT
[#4]

My understanding was that they had moves for all ages.  Saw a vid of a 62 year old man using Krav on a 20-ish assailant with good effect.
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 11:43:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Nope go for it and make sure you stretch before class after class and the next day, also look at getting a foam roller to help with recovery.
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 11:52:06 AM EDT
[#6]
We have older in our level 1 classes.
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 5:27:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Never too old
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 6:11:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RemmyMaster77] [#8]
How old do you feel?  Its all in the head, for the most part.  If you feel like doing it.. do it.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 3:11:39 PM EDT
[#9]
I started BJJ four months ago at the age of 41. I say go for it.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 8:24:11 PM EDT
[#10]
My wife (61 YO ) and I (65YO) started BJJ a month ago - our advice go for it but stock plenty of asprin and ben gay.  We get sore in places that we never knew existed but it has been fun, educational ( for self defence) and conditioning.  We are lucky the group we train with are very good at working to the level of the least experienced (us).  One of the guys has a MMA fight this weekend and he is one to give good advice and not overpower his opponent.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 8:28:34 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm 36 and did it for 6 months.  You're golden.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 2:23:34 PM EDT
[#12]
I started BJJ at 46 and I'm still doing it at 51.

I can still do the karate kicks I learned at 14 - 17, as well.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:36:26 PM EDT
[#13]
I was 42 when I started, though I was in good shape. 49 now, and feeling an active life in the knees, but I don't blame Krav and I'm still going strong.
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 11:27:15 PM EDT
[#14]
View Quote

I am 42 and started KM classes three weeks ago. It is a smoker and I feel it the next day, but its important to get in and just do it, and work hard. stretch and do cardio on the side and yes practice what you learn in class.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 4:07:45 PM EDT
[#15]
This is the only reason I dislike living in the burbs. Nothing that catches my attention is close.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 4:16:46 PM EDT
[#16]
I started Krav Maga at 45, A year and a half later (and 30 pounds lighter) I'm still going. Passed my Level one test back in May. I actually trained for two hours today.
You CAN do it if you want to. A good school will not push you past your limits unless you let them.
We have 15 year olds and 60 year olds in my classes
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 11:29:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wintermute] [#17]
This thread is great, and exactly why I ventured into the Self Defense forum.  I'm 30 and seriously considering some type of training, probably Krav Maga.

I am inspired! I'm not in great shape, but I routinely walk a couple of miles a few nights a week on the treadmill, can do a few pushups and swing a kettle bell....so not morbidly obese or anything.  I'm thinking of diving in headfirst with a KM class and just seeing where it goes.

I've been blaming not doing anything on lack of money but the wife called me out on it tonight - What did you spend $200 on? -oh yeah, that was a PSA upper. What was the other $150? - oh yeah, that was a lower and LPK.... well there ya go, there's 4 months of training right there.

There are 2 places near me that offer classes, there's really no excuse now.

ETA:  First class is Thursday at 0630
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 12:29:11 AM EDT
[#18]
My first class was awesome. Already scheduled my second and plan to pay monthly - I love it! Have you been able to start yet OP?

Tips:  Just do it.  Find a place near you that has a "first class free" to see if you like it, and just show up.  Expect 10 minutes of going 100% at some cardio (running, pushups, crunches, - it sucks*) and then 50 minutes of fun.

My class was not a beginner class, but it started very simple with some jab parrying, a little bob and weave, then a right hook block with shin to the groin, and progressed. The last thing we covered didn't really stick with me, it was a "someone's charging at you, so here's how you step aside and make him flip over" move.  The instructor used me for a demo and flipped me out of my shoes. I have a nice forearm bruise from parrying and a knee bruise from hitting the ground. I was sore all day today, but I feel great.

* part of the warm up was shoulder touching. You partner up and try to touch each others shoulders while not letting the other guy touch yours. Then knee slaps were added, and if your partner touched your knee you hit the ground and did a pushup and continued on. My guy had a good 6" of reach on me and that part almost killed me.

Again, find somewhere that will let you try a class for free, then do it. Just show up. Do it, guy. Just - Do it.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 12:50:39 AM EDT
[#19]
I am 42 and started almost a year ago it is great, helps manage stress and dropped some weight.  Win win in my book.  Wifey does it too.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 10:41:06 PM EDT
[#20]
You'll love it. It takes a natural reaction to an attack and modifies it with a counter attack. I've been in it for 3 years and absolutely love it. I think there is a guy in his sixties in one of the upper level courses. Healing just takes longer when you're older.
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 5:27:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wintermute] [#21]
Today is one month in for me,  training 2x a week and really wish I had more time to devote to it.

Link Posted: 9/29/2015 5:36:03 PM EDT
[#22]
You will be OK at 39.  When you hit 40 is the problem.  When things start hurting, they never stop.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 8:52:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Just a reminder to everyone, regardless of age - be careful.

Went to KM this morning and in the last 5 minutes of class landed a takedown wrong and heard a snap.  I broke my tibia and fractured the fibula.  Spending tonight in the hospital before 10am surgery to have an IM Nail drove down into my tibia.

Shit happens.
Link Posted: 10/22/2015 4:11:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By wintermute:
Just a reminder to everyone, regardless of age - be careful.

Went to KM this morning and in the last 5 minutes of class landed a takedown wrong and heard a snap.  I broke my tibia and fractured the fibula.  Spending tonight in the hospital before 10am surgery to have an IM Nail drove down into my tibia.

Shit happens.
View Quote

Uhhh that's more than shit happens.... WTF. I hope someone at your gym has a serious look at how you train. I hope you are able to walk again without a limp.

To the OP: No you're not too old. There are far older guys at my KM gym taking level 4 and 5 belt tests.

I'm about to test for my level 3 and I'll probably step away from KM after that. I feel as if I've gleaned 90% of what there is to glean from KM; much of the other materials I started seeing in level 3 and above just doesn't pass my smell test from my other experience, training and background. My plan is to pursue my BJJ skills once my schedule changes a little bit next year - the ability to grapple and move both standing and on the ground is pretty important and they just don't do enough of it in KM.

Link Posted: 10/23/2015 9:29:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CozumelSteve] [#25]
THellu- you in Dallas?  I'm at KMDFW
Link Posted: 10/23/2015 9:42:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Looks like OP never came back.  
I guess he was too old to survive it.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 2:05:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By wintermute:
This thread is great, and exactly why I ventured into the Self Defense forum.  I'm 30 and seriously considering some type of training, probably Krav Maga.

I am inspired! I'm not in great shape, but I routinely walk a couple of miles a few nights a week on the treadmill, can do a few pushups and swing a kettle bell....so not morbidly obese or anything.  I'm thinking of diving in headfirst with a KM class and just seeing where it goes.

I've been blaming not doing anything on lack of money but the wife called me out on it tonight - What did you spend $200 on? -oh yeah, that was a PSA upper. What was the other $150? - oh yeah, that was a lower and LPK.... well there ya go, there's 4 months of training right there.

There are 2 places near me that offer classes, there's really no excuse now.

ETA:  First class is Thursday at 0630
View Quote

Good on you.  It's way easier to spend money on gear instead of training.  
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 1:43:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Not familiar with KM, but you shouldn't have any issues at 39.  I'm a 4th Dan TKD instructor and have had 70 year old students.  Give KM a go when your house is done.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 1:47:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Oops. Didn't realize how old this was.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 1:18:21 PM EDT
[#30]
I just turned 44 today, and have been doing KM for about 5 weeks now 3X per week.  The short answer is no you are not.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 5:19:29 PM EDT
[#31]
If you're wondering about starting a martial art, the answer is usually do it now.  The longer you wait, the harder it will be on your body.  There will be a fair amount of sport-specific conditioning (especially in hard-style striking arts) that you won't get until you start, so start now.

Flexibility comes with time, as does power.  Focus on excellent form.
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 7:53:21 AM EDT
[#32]
Idk about k.m. but I helped a 60 plus year old guy thru his first week in bjj gi class.   I started at 33 and out of shape.
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 8:03:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Stretch daily and stay hydrated.  Don't be afraid to pop a Motrin as needed.  You'll feel like you've been in a car crash for a couple of years and then it gets better.  That goes pretty much for any martial art that isn't just a dance class.
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 8:20:17 PM EDT
[#34]
I started martial arts when nearly 40. My son was just turning 6 and we trained together for 5 1/2 yrs 4-5 days a week. I was in gymnastics when I was young, so that helped with the stretching and falling techniques.

Within the first 2 months I blew my ACL, just to a dive roll of all things. Had a partial tear from an old ski injury on that knee. Second surgery was a torn rotator cuff during sparring when BB testing. Took a year and a half off then came back and my son and I got our BB.

My son had scoliosis and had to stop everything for the surgery. 12 thoracic vertebrate fused at age 14. He started up with some Krav classes when he was about 24 and all was good. Work got in the way and had to quit because of that.

I'm hoping he'll get back into it and not be concerned he's too old.  
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 9:16:14 PM EDT
[#35]
I started shudo kan when I was 50. My son and I did it for 5 years. I loved it but as you move up to the higher ranks, you are required to start teaching classes. I didnt want to teach, just learn, so we stopped.
Link Posted: 12/14/2019 9:10:58 AM EDT
[#36]
I train in a few different RBSD styles (similar to Krav) and I just turned 48. I have a slipped disc, so I just need to be aware of certain movements in a technique, but otherwise I don't think age is as important as fitness and flexibility.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 12:32:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lowammo] [#37]
I started Hapkido (very similar to KM) after 50. I took semi private sessions 2 to 4 days a week for over 4 years, before moving to a rural area approximately 5+ hours from my old neighborhood.
My instructor fused Hapkido, Taekwondo and two Kung Fu forms. We also studied JKD hand drills in order to build speed.

That said, I would recommend classes at any age. My instructor was aware of my existing injuries and he would forworn me of potential issues and certain moves would begin slowly then build speed on them as I became familiar with the mechanics of the moves. Those classes have given me so much knowledge, confidence and physical fitness.

As to the above member's statement about teaching, after achieving the rank of Red Belt, I was tapped to assist in teaching in the adult group classes. That was actually a plus for me. It helped me to further understand the techniques being taught. I assisted in teaching right up until I left. As a Cho Dan Bo I was preparing for my BB testing when I made the move to the country.

When I finally had to leave my classes, it was with a heavy heart. I regret that I could not bring everyone along with me. Especially my instructor.
I still practice on my own (using videos shot in class and my notebook of each and every thing, from history to technique to codes of conduct, it's all in the book.
I recommend training/classes to almost everyone. You will slow the aging process if you keep moving and push yourself. Just be aware of any health issues or prior injuries and modify accordingly. We had a student with only a partial foot but you would never know it to watch him in class or sparring. That guy was a beast.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 2:47:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TheRealCocowheats] [#38]
We commonly have people 30-60+. Mid 30s on up is common.

You'd be surprised the mix of people you may encounter in Krav studio..
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 11:55:59 PM EDT
[#39]
I started Hapkido at an age north of 50. Hapkido is very similar to Krav.
You're never too old to learn new things.
Just be aware of your limitations and work your way up to overcome them.
Warm up and loosen up prior to the in class warm ups.
I can tell you that you'll notice faster reflexes after a short time. I have noticed that I tend to catch dropped or falling items these days, which I probably wouldn't have been able to do in the years prior to starting classes.

Give it a shot, see if you like it!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top