Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/25/2014 12:40:57 AM EDT
This is my 11 year old daughter Katie. She got started in MMA training about three years ago as a anti bully/ confidence helper. WELL...she really like grappling and after her first NAGA tournament she was hooked. We moved to another gym about a year ago...and since then...she is just amazing. She has not only excelled in BJJ but more importantly...she has become a better person. Her last tournament she helped another competitor who was autistic win his first match...she made him work for it but she did this on her own and nobody told her to lose. I am so proud of her..and now for your viewing pleasure..KATIE "KIMURA KILLER"

Her at a local tournament..taking on a older boy!! Oh she won by the way

Sorry camera would not focus..this is her first gold medal going to the new gym..and it was only a start...

Getting her gray belt from Rodrigo COMPRIDO Medeiros

Taking on another older boy...this one was at Combat Corner.

Yep another kimura

Another first place over a older boy in Wisconsin

First place at Combat Corner..with her cowgirl boots on at the podium

At Five Chicago with her training partner Taylor" The Terror"

I couldnt be any prouder....I have plenty more photos will see if I can upload more while I am in recovery mode from back surgery. Thanks for looking and hope this inspires you she is a great representative of BJJ.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:04:35 AM EDT
[#1]
awesome
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:10:53 AM EDT
[#2]
So cool! Good job, Katie!! You must be proud, dad!
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 12:28:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Here are a few more..and yes I am super proud of her

This is from Five

The guy next to her is her main coach Daniel Millraney, who is the greatest coach ever.

If anyone wants she keeps updates and comments on facebook, IM me and I can send you her fan page. November 1 is her tournament for NAGA.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 2:23:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Excellent!

I've been training BJJ since early 2009, but just recently enroled my 12 and 14 year olds in a combined Judo/BJJ class.

I had wanted to get them involved for some time, but it was difficult to work out.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:14:41 PM EDT
[#5]
I hope your kids like it Don. I was training also but....I am on a little time out I just had back surgery last Saturday.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 2:42:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By firemed13:
I hope your kids like it Don. I was training also but....I am on a little time out I just had back surgery last Saturday.
View Quote

So far they like it. The key is to keep them motivated.

I've tried to impress on them the significance of grappling in self defense, and that they should develop a strong core skill set in judo, bjj, or wrestling, at least one minimum.

Training is hard, and xbox is seductive.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 9:57:50 PM EDT
[#7]
That's awesome, I want to get my twin daughters into BJJ before too long.

That's Taylor Guerra, the #1 ranked Illinois teen female.  That's pretty cool.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 1:46:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Havent got the pictures up yet..she took first in both gi and no-gi at NAGA. Yep and this was in intermediate divisions.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 10:25:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Inspiringly awesome!
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:10:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Fricking awesome!
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 12:30:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Sorry for the lack of updates....holidays and all...looks like she has a sponsor for 2015!!! Updates will be following along with more pics. In the mean time Merry Christmas and keep rolling!!
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 1:09:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Ok I got a few minutes to spare, here are some pics from her last NAGA first place in both Gi and no Gi in intermediate divisions. Couldnt be any prouder!!!!

I have told her medals are great, but I want her to enjoy BJJ and be a ambassador for this sport and good sportsmanship will go farther than any 1st place wins. She went and comforted a younger kid who was really upset and got him to walk back onto the mats and compete, something his coaches and parents couldnt do. Yep she is amazing kid, so proud of her.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 1:18:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Awesome.

M Kimonos, FTW. My favorite Gi is an M.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 1:19:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Ok here are some from tonight showing some of her medals, there are a few at two different gyms she trains at. As a special Christmas gift...we just learned she is being sponsored in 2015 by BJJ Kimonos (Seven). WOW I just cant believe it!!! Merry Christmas everyone!!! Slap---Tap---ROLL !!! OSSSS !!!

Link Posted: 12/31/2014 7:31:25 PM EDT
[#15]
I have told her medals are great, but I want her to enjoy BJJ and be a ambassador for this sport and good sportsmanship will go farther than any 1st place wins. She went and comforted a younger kid who was really upset and got him to walk back onto the mats and compete, something his coaches and parents couldnt do. Yep she is amazing kid, so proud of her.
View Quote

Awsome.
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 10:15:28 PM EDT
[#16]
I was just asked by a parent what age to get a child involved in BJJ?  My daughter started when she was 7 in a MMA gym and from what some of her instructors have told me that's a pretty good age to start. January 17 is her tournament. Keep training!!!!
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 11:08:03 PM EDT
[#17]
I was just asked by a parent what age to get a child involved in BJJ?  My daughter started when she was 7 in a MMA gym and from what some of her instructors have told me that's a pretty good age to start. January 17 is her tournament. Keep training!!!!
View Quote

I started karate at age 14 back in '77. At 17 I got my black belt and began teaching, including the kids. My take away at the time was that it made little sense for small kids to take karate, 14 was about the right age to start.

I started BJJ in early '09, and watching the kids in the kids classes I've noticed they develop great skills at an early age. I think it is great to get into BJJ early to work the flexability, learn the massive amount of different moves, etc. It is a MUCH more complex game then karate.

Within about two years of starting karate I knew all the moves, etc., in at least a basic sense. In my 6 years in BJJ I see a new move almost every time I get on the mat. And I've trained 2 - 3 times per week and have a purple belt.
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 10:22:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: firemed13] [#18]
OK I know I havent kept up on here with Katie but she took first place no gi and second place gi at NAGA Chicago. Here are the pics:

The gi match was lost by a advantage to her opponent, as can be seen she was not happy and was just about to get a collar choke. She learned a lesson and needs to watch her time. On a side note we are going to Las Vegas in July for the IBJJF and US jiu jitsu tournaments. Now the hard part...getting money for plane tickets!! As seen she is sporting her new sponsors gi and rash guards from Seven BJJ and fight wear. She is so awesome she helped a little girl who was really upset get back on the mats and helped coach her. Her facebook has vids and more pics, please IM me and I will give you the info if interested. Lots of matches coming up and she is with a new school, exciting times for my little kimura killer!!
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 6:38:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Ok haven't updated in a while on kimura killer lol.
New breed tournament she got gold in both gi and no gi. She was asked to take on advanced kids she came in third but....got injured and she's been off for 2 months recovery. She just got the ok from doctor to start training so she's back on the mats and we have combat corner tournament in October and another NAGA in November.

And from ibjjf kids national in Vegas:

And the USJJO tournament also in Vegas:
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top