Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/12/2008 5:57:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dusty_C]
A few questions.

One, why don't you hear more about it in MMA?

Two, in the real world, how good is it really?

ETA I'm gonna start classes in August.

What parts of my body should I concentrate on the hardest between now and then?

Link Posted: 5/12/2008 6:45:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AGENT-X] [#1]
I'd say in the real world it would be really handy. from what I've see of it basically anything goes and I believe the Israeli army is training in it as well. looks like a really brutal fighting style. I'd venture to guess that it's not big in MMA because a lot of the "moves" of Krav Maga are illegal in MMA.
Link Posted: 5/12/2008 11:23:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PUBBOY] [#2]
KM has a reputaion in the MMA and self defense world as kind of a Multi Level Marketing scheme...

KM is nothing more than a mix of basic boxing, karate kicks (and some Muay Thai-ish low line kicks,) sloppy elbows mixed with a sampling of knife defenses from around the world. There is very little emphasis on ground fighting because when facing a crowd of angry Jundis, going down is the last thing you want to do...

The thing that makes REAL ISREALI KM unique is the training tempo, difficulty and intensity.

As a system, it's just a blend of things that work more often than not in street conditions.

In MMA there are rules. In street defense training (which is what KM touts itself as...) there are no rules

In short, KM isn't an art or sport. It's street fighting.

Competition MMA is a sport, through and through.
Link Posted: 5/16/2008 12:26:53 AM EDT
[#3]
I've been studying Krav for a few months now and I can say that I love it.  No, I haven't used it thank God, but every class helps me feel better about myself and my chances of surviving a violent encounter.

As stated, it borrows heavily from boxing and the martial arts keeping what works and throwing out what doesn't.  Also as stated, the classes are intense and a killer cardio workout.  

Try it.  You might like it.
Link Posted: 5/16/2008 12:47:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Kicking and punching in the Balls is a big part of that style of fighting.
Link Posted: 5/16/2008 12:58:02 AM EDT
[#5]
I have had some training in Krav Maga, effective and brutal. Some would call it basic moves but they work.
Link Posted: 5/16/2008 9:32:39 PM EDT
[#6]

Originally Posted By 9thEngineer:
Kicking and punching in the Balls is a big part of that style of fighting.

Yea, so.  Krav uses an anything goes philosophy to fighting.  If you're in a fight for your life, wouldn't you do anything possible to walk away safely?
Link Posted: 5/16/2008 9:46:23 PM EDT
[#7]
There is very little real KM instruction in the US and it is not suitable for sport use.
Link Posted: 5/16/2008 11:47:37 PM EDT
[#8]

Originally Posted By PBIR:
There is very little real KM instruction in the US and it is not suitable for sport use.

Yup. That what I meant by it having an MLM feel over here. I've heard of schools simply 'buying' the rights to teach KM with very little instruction in the system itself...

It's not what they teach over there and the guys over here teaching it are not the same caliber as in Isreal.
Link Posted: 5/21/2008 4:21:35 PM EDT
[#9]

Originally Posted By PUBBOY:

Originally Posted By PBIR:

Yup. That what I meant by it having an MLM feel over here. I've heard of schools simply 'buying' the rights to teach KM with very little instruction in the system itself...

It's not what they teach over there and the guys over here teaching it are not the same caliber as in Isreal.

I've been looking for a KM school in my area, and am running into this problem. I really don't want to go to Israel to learn it.....
Link Posted: 5/21/2008 4:53:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Never mix sport (MMA, Karate, Taekwondo, Judo....) with self defense.
Link Posted: 5/21/2008 8:43:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PUBBOY] [#11]

Originally Posted By stefan040271:
Never mix sport (MMA, Karate, Taekwondo, Judo....) with self defense.

There is a healthy overlap between sport fighting and what works in the street.

With that said, there are 'habits' that sport fighters would need to break to survive an unpredictable street encounter, like 'going to the ground.'

That's fine in a ring, but deadly on the street, unless you are very certain of your situation.

Link Posted: 5/22/2008 4:50:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LawDog205] [#12]
I have posted on this topic before, but didn't see much interest.  Most people said it was a marketing scheme, or hype.

I have have my level 2 CKM Commando Krav Maga instructors certification.  Taught to me by the founder of the system..Moni Aizik.  Former Sayeret commando.

When talking about MMA Moni trained one of the former champions Carlos Newton.

One of Monis Top students is Among Moni’s best Israeli students: Avi Nardia – (one of the leading Kapap and counter terrorism instructors in the world)

While the entire Israeli military trains in KM, only their elite units train in CKM...

There is a vast difference between KM and CKM...In an earlier post it was mentioned that KM does not deal with ground defense.  I can assure you that CKM does deal with ground defense...you are given only 5 seconds to get up from the ground, or multiple attackers join the fight.  CKM also deals with gun disarms, knife disarms, choke escapes, and striking defenses...along with some pretty sweet ground work.

I have studied various arts for many years...I have never come accross an art that is easily learned and effective at the same time.

Anyone interested in CKM can contact me for a free demonstration provided you are willing to travell...If too far. I have some friends around the country that are instructors as well.

If you are looking to get into shape quickly...and learn to defend yourself in the real world. Under stress..multiple attackers..unknown circumstances. This is it..

I am working on getting a MySPace or Face book up and running..I will have some videos on there...hopefully within the next month or so.

Now...let the criticism begin

Link Posted: 5/22/2008 5:59:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PUBBOY] [#13]

Originally Posted By LawDog205:
I have posted on this topic before, but didn't see much interest.  Most people said it was a marketing scheme, or hype.

I have have my level 2 CKM Commando Krav Maga instructors certification.  Taught to me by the founder of the system..Moni Aizik.  Former Sayeret commando.

When talking about MMA Moni trained one of the former champions Carlos Newton.

One of Monis Top students is Among Moni’s best Israeli students: Avi Nardia – (one of the leading Kapap and counter terrorism instructors in the world)

While the entire Israeli military trains in KM, only their elite units train in CKM...

There is a vast difference between KM and CKM...In an earlier post it was mentioned that KM does not deal with ground defense.  I can assure you that CKM does deal with ground defense...you are given only 5 seconds to get up from the ground, or multiple attackers join the fight.  CKM also deals with gun disarms, knife disarms, choke escapes, and striking defenses...along with some pretty sweet ground work.

I have studied various arts for many years...I have never come accross an art that is easily learned and effective at the same time.

Anyone interested in CKM can contact me for a free demonstration provided you are willing to travell...If too far. I have some friends around the country that are instructors as well.

If you are looking to get into shape quickly...and learn to defend yourself in the real world. Under stress..multiple attackers..unknown circumstances. This is it..

I am working on getting a MySPace or Face book up and running..I will have some videos on there...hopefully within the next month or so.

Now...let the criticism begin

No criticism from me.

The REAL KM works (CKM, I guess.) The KM for the masses is questionable.

Your statement "I have never come accross an art that is easily learned and effective at the same time..." is completely true, but some unscrupulous KM "instructors" teach it like it's a 'learn self defense in a weekend' system.
Link Posted: 5/22/2008 7:43:51 PM EDT
[#14]
See, I wanna learn the real deal.
Link Posted: 5/22/2008 8:20:24 PM EDT
[#15]
I understand what you are saying about the KM taught here in the states...It does tend to be watered down.  Most traditional arts tend to be "varied" from there original  arts when they get to the US?

You can find some KM instructors here in the US that are good to go...

As far as the CKM...I believe it is a more adaptable system...

Here is a copy paste from the Official CKM website about Moni Aizik....the founder

Biography:

Moni started training in Jiu Jitsu & judo at the age of 8 under Opa Schutte, himself 2 generations away from the founder of Kodokan Judo, Jigoro Kano. Throughout his youth, Moni virtually dominated Israel’s competitive scene, winning national titles 7 times. Deciding not to try for an Olympic birth in his late teens, he opted instead to shift his energy to becoming a member of one of the world’s most clandestine and sophisticated military units, responsible for counter-terrorism and intelligence gathering behind enemy lines.

In the 70s, Moni was asked to improve upon the army's existing hand-to-hand combat system, using his extensive knowledge of reality based Jiu Jitsu and competitive Judo, specifically for the use of their special forces. Blending the lethal trinity of Israeli Fighting Systems, he founded: Commando Krav Maga. As such, one factor that has always separated Moni from the typical Krav Maga instructor is his depth and range of knowledge in Krav Maga and other practical Fighting systems.

After finishing his tour with the military, he would frequently travel to Japan to study the technical wizardry of World Judo and Sambo Champions Isao Okano and Katsuhiko Kashiwazaki. In the meantime, his club in Israel, Maccabi Tel Aviv, was quickly becoming recognized as the defacto national training center, with hundreds students training in Commando Krav Maga Jiujitsu and judo!

Among Moni’s best Israeli students: Avi Nardia – (one of the leading Kapap and counter terrorism instructors in the world) and Yael Arad the nation’s first Olympic and World medalist
Moving to North America in the eighties, Moni was the first one to Introduce Krav Maga to the Canadian when he start teaching at the J.C.C in Toronto.2 years Later he would go on to demonstrate his abilities in elite instruction, as he would establish one of the most successful schools in Canada, the Samurai Club, which was the first in Canada to teach Israeli fighting systems!

Moni’s club would itself become an house for another generation of Reality based -Commando Krav Maga students and instructors!

Among Moni’s Canadian students: champions and world famous No Holds Barred fighters, including Ultimate Fighting Champion Carlos Newton, Japanese Shooto star Joel Gerson The Samurai Club literally dominated every competition, either provincial or national, that it sent fighters to. The reason reality based fighting system and Jiujitsu is as big as it is in Canada is primarily due to the club’s foundation of fighters (also including Mark Bocek, Omar Salvosa, etc.) who are all considered the best grapplers and reality based martial artists in the country.
Nevertheless, what distinguishes Moni from most instructors in general is not only his ability to spot talent and develop it in a variety of disciplines, but more so his finesse in bringing out the champion in the average person, helping them reach levels they never thought they were capable of, physically and mentally.

Link Posted: 5/23/2008 11:39:47 AM EDT
[#16]
One thing to keep in mind w/ KM or I suppose CKM is that the goal is to get you proficient and in shape as quickly as possible.  Yes, BJJ has a better ground game and some others are better at individual aspects, but KM is a great all-around defense that can be learned relatively quickly.  I've been doing it for 3 months now and feel much more prepared for a violent encounter and I've only begun to learn.

Oh, and KM does have some ground work (mostly it's defending yourself on the ground and getting up ASAP) and choke, bearhug, etc. defenses.

I'm sure that learning in Israel would better and there are places that really shouldn't teach KM.  All you can do is visit a couple of local schools and make your best decision.

Good luck whatever you choose.
Link Posted: 5/24/2008 1:02:34 PM EDT
[#17]
anyone know of a reputable instructor in louisiana? lafayette, baton rouge, etc?
Link Posted: 5/24/2008 1:05:49 PM EDT
[#18]
My take as I said in the other thread...

Real KM or CKM  = Combat
MMA = Sport

Two different animals
Link Posted: 5/24/2008 3:21:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Zack3g

Currently there are no certifed CKM instructors in the state of Louisiana.

Closest instructor to you is TX...

If you want top notch personnal training..Moni will teach private lessons at your location...but I have no clue as to the cost.

If you are ever in KY for any training...I will give you a free class to see if you like it.

Actually...I will extend that offer to anyone willing to travel or happens to be in KY for a short stay.  1st class is free...just to get your feet wet...you be the judge of if its for you or not.  Just don't draw any misconceptions....this is not for the feint of heart or anyone looking for a belt gimme.  

The system has no belts...only levels.  There is no charge for testing and advancing to the next level.  I can teach to my level, and test to the level below mine.  Once you reach L2, only the National Director or Moni himself can test you....still no fee for the test.  Moni is a very dedicated person, and take an extreme amount of interest in only having top quality students and instuctors.  To keep us on our toes, our Certs are only good for 1 year as an instructor.  We can attend as many classes as we like during that year for no cahrge at all once we get our Certification.  We must progress to the next level within one year to maintain out instructor status.  Moni believes this is the only way to...in his words" We don't hang a diploma on the wall and then stop training and get fat and smoke cigars" The system constantly evolves and changes...."If we don't evolve, we dissapear"...again Monis words.

If anyone has any questions...feel free to mail me or IM..

I believe I have answered al the IMs I have received so far..

Thanks

Bruce
Link Posted: 5/25/2008 2:33:03 AM EDT
[#20]
LawDog205,
IM sent
Link Posted: 5/25/2008 5:56:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9thEngineer] [#21]

Yea, so.  Krav uses an anything goes philosophy to fighting.  If you're in a fight for your life, wouldn't you do anything possible to walk away safely?

Yes sir! And I have...
Link Posted: 5/25/2008 12:06:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jbombelli] [#22]
I'm not that familiar with Krav Maga, but I've seen a little bit here and there.  I was less-than-impressed with the knife defenses.  The couple of demonstrations I saw involved the knifer over-committing to a single attack, no combinations, and the defender used (exclusively) 90 degree forearm blocks with a counter attack.

Those 90 degree forearm blocks might work if your opponent doesn't know what he's doing, but if he has half a clue and inverts his blade (or uses a double-edge knife), you will likely end up with your arms cut to the bone and your body going into shock.  Not a good thing.  

Then again, every style has its weaknesses.  This is what jumped out at me based on my extremely limited experience with it.  And I must emphasize extremely limited.

Link Posted: 5/25/2008 1:54:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/25/2008 2:18:39 PM EDT
[#24]

Originally Posted By jbombelli:
I'm not that familiar with Krav Maga, but I've seen a little bit here and there.  I was less-than-impressed with the knife defenses.  The couple of demonstrations I saw involved the knifer over-committing to a single attack, no combinations, and the defender used (exclusively) 90 degree forearm blocks with a counter attack.

Those 90 degree forearm blocks might work if your opponent doesn't know what he's doing, but if he has half a clue and inverts his blade (or uses a double-edge knife), you will likely end up with your arms cut to the bone and your body going into shock.  Not a good thing.  

Then again, every style has its weaknesses.  This is what jumped out at me based on my extremely limited experience with it.  And I must emphasize extremely limited.

from the videos ive seen, KM has a 360 knife defense. this protects from multiple knife attacks as well as a double edged blade. as far as a slash attack made with an inverted blade, I dont know what KM does about that. my suggestion would be to look on youtube at the krav maga videos. ive learned a lot about krav maga by watching them.
Link Posted: 5/26/2008 3:46:18 PM EDT
[#25]
As far as CKM..there are no 90 degree blocks...if you have any one with knife fighting experience and they block 90 degrees...you are in a wourld of hurt.

CKM uses other techniques..you can see some of them on youtube..

Usually redirection of the knife and then disarming is the order of the day...this way you have the opportunity to evade the aggressor and run if you redirect the attack.  Actually quite effective.  I prefer to redirect, then diarm with tremendous pain and dismemberment

Check out the videos
Link Posted: 5/26/2008 7:18:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jbombelli] [#26]

As far as CKM..there are no 90 degree blocks...if you have any one with knife fighting experience and they block 90 degrees...you are in a wourld of hurt.

CKM uses other techniques..you can see some of them on youtube..

Usually redirection of the knife and then disarming is the order of the day...this way you have the opportunity to evade the aggressor and run if you redirect the attack.  Actually quite effective.  I prefer to redirect, then diarm with tremendous pain and dismemberment

Check out the videos

Oh really?

Those look like 90 degree blocks to me.

Then again, due to my limited experience with Krav Maga, I suppose I could be wrong, and those could be 87 degree blocks or something.  
Link Posted: 5/27/2008 3:33:05 AM EDT
[#27]

With that said, there are 'habits' that sport fighters would need to break to survive an unpredictable street encounter, like 'going to the ground.'

That's fine in a ring, but deadly on the street, unless you are very certain of your situation.

I've said it before, and I'm sure I'll say it again...it isn't always your choice of whether or not the fight goes to the ground...so it's a good idea to have some idea of what to do if you do find yourself up there.  

Link Posted: 5/27/2008 11:49:30 AM EDT
[#28]

Originally Posted By Drakich:

I've said it before, and I'm sure I'll say it again...it isn't always your choice of whether or not the fight goes to the ground...so it's a good idea to have some idea of what to do if you do find yourself up there.  

Since I'm the guy that started the official BJJ thread here at ARFCOM, I couldn't agree with you more.

The 'habit' I'm speaking of is 'taking it to the ground.'

Many MMA fighters train to do it instinctively, and could be a bad habit on the street.

Official BJJ thread
Link Posted: 5/27/2008 11:37:47 PM EDT
[#29]
I spent the better part of today watching KM vids on youtube.  There is some excellent stuff there, and there are some real tools there too.
Link Posted: 5/27/2008 11:42:10 PM EDT
[#30]
I teach Krav Maga and own my own school.  I was required to go through an enourmous amount of training before even being allowed to go through the instructor certification system, which is brutal and extremely difficult.  I have not met many martial arts persons whom I think can do it, and I don't blink at putting one of my level 2 students against any traditional form's black belt students (I am speaking of traditional students, not instructors - I have a great deal of respect for instructors who dedicate their lives to an art.)  But their students are just not capable of real fighing, and it comes out very quickly when they fight.    

Krav Maga is about teaching you how to deal with real world, violent threats, and teaching you to do so quickly.  Those of us who are more advanced in the system do an enormous amount of training in what I call the "Fancy" stuff - spining kicks, kicks in the air, etc.  However, we only do that so we know the physical dynamics of what is being employed so we can defend against it.  Fights are won and lost in level one combatives, the advanced stuff gets us in place to use those combatives.  All advanced krav maga students and instructors always work on their level one skill, because that is where it is at.

Additionally, a major focus of krav maga is to prepare you for the mental and physical response to a violent attack.  Understanding what an adrenal dump does to your body, and how to deal with that as well as having the confidence and ability not to quit are critical to surviving such an attack, so we focus an enormous amount of energy there.

Krav Maga does not generally do well in MMA because we don't sport fight, although a lot of us cross train in MMA types of fighting.  When we fight with rules, half of our weapons go out the door.  

And, as for the CKM commentator - one, CKM is not Krav Maga - if you'd like to be educated on the subject from folks who've left Moni and his system, look here: http://kmforum.kravmaga.com/showthread.php?t=2838 2, we fight on the ground A LOT.  We are not grapplers, we fight on the ground to get up.  We do the same 5 second drill as well - beginning in level I and continuing through the levels as the ground fighting gets more difficult.  Krav Maga invented the drill when Moni was a child for crying out loud!  While CKM certainly is a good system, and if you like it do it, don't sell it as Krav Maga because except for the name, it isn't.  Nobody bad mouthed your system, don't bad mouth mine until you've spent the time to learn it.  I teach a Krav Maga ground fighting class every week.  Granted, this is Krav Maga Worldwide's system - a system specifically focused on threat here in the US, and given that BJJ is so popular here, we train in it more than the Israeli's do.  

However, all of my insturctors were either Israeli, trained in Israel, or had a significant portion of their instruction from Israelis.  The head of my organization was trained by the founder of Krav Maga himself, and hand picked to bring it here.  

Folks who want to train in Krav Maga can go to the websites of Krav Maga Worldwide (www.kravmaga.com), the Krav Maga Federation(http://www.kravmagafederation.com/), the International Krav Maga Federation (http://www.krav-maga.com/), or the Haganah or F.I.G.H.T. system (Mike Lee Kinareck is a former Israeli Commando and teaches damn good stuff)(http://www.fight2survive.com/) to find a school near you.  All of those organizations will teach you pure Krav Maga and all of them have schools in the U.S.
Link Posted: 5/31/2008 1:07:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LawDog205] [#31]
Since apparently I am a commentatorWhat ever.

Dread...
If you will look closely to wat I have already posted..I have not once "Bashed" your system, nor would I ever do that to any other system.  I have nothing but respect for where CKM got its roots.  Also, you have never seen me say in any post anywhere that CKM is KM...As a matter of fact, I go out of my way to try to make the distinguishment. While you say some have left Moni behind..you may be correct...some people can't handle the type of drills he teaches. There is no universal art for everyone...thats why there is more than one.  I see no reason for this to become a pissing match of "KM" or "CKM" styles or Instructors....You tell me that you are, I take your word for it...please respect me the same, for I am no where near a commentator.

On to what the real OP requested.

As you said, you will see alot of good stuff on youtube, and a lot of doushe bags....You shouldn't have a problem decerning the two...

Take everything you read and see with a grain of salt..there are a lot of so called experts that float around on the net.

I can assure you that there are NO 90 degree ..or 87degree blocks in CKM for knife defense.  Possibly in KM..but not in CKM.

Ground defense must be taught in what ever style that you take...as has been said before here, there is a tremendous swing to that style of fighting ...UFC has made this very popular to those who had not been exposed to it before.  

What ever style that you decide to pursue...you need to pressure test what you have learned...this is realy the only way to see how you will react when the $%$#hits the fan.  In CKM we pressure test at every session.  It does two things..it reinforces the basics that you have been drilling, and it lets you see how you can introduce the new material you learn.  One thing that I see happening in some classes...I make it a point not to let my students do this...during the middle of a technique sometimes they will stop if it was not performed correctly.  Here is a major no no....I don't care if the form is not perfect, as long as the technique gets the desired response, form is secondary. You must learn to flow without concentrating on technique and form...your response needs to be immediate and violent.  Sometimes just the response alone is enough to end the confrontation.  Another thing to remember..action is almost always faster than reaction...only about 5% of the population can react faster than your action.

As mentioned before ...KM and CKM both deal a lot with the mental aspect of fighting..from a different perspective than most traditional arts.  In CKM we do a tremendous amount of physical fitness training during class...this promotes less chance of injuryfrom performing techniques, and pushes you past the limits that you put on yourself....you would be amazed at the capabilities of you body under stress.  It is during these Stress/Pressure tests that your true colors show.  If you test as though you were in a fight for your life, then you should act accordingly during actual conflict.  Much like the firearms training...train how you fight, fight how you train.  

Again..I will extend the offer of a free class to get your feet wet..

Thanks...

Link Posted: 6/2/2008 12:45:49 AM EDT
[#32]
ost.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 9:27:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Sort of a moot issue the CKM v. KM argument since most people can't even find a trainer in one of those methods of self-defense. I wish I could walk downtown and see oh there is the CKM gym and there is the KM gym. Unfortunately, there is no KM training endorsed by the KM Federation or anyone official in my area.  There is a Jewish Student Club that has open and free training in KM taught by an older man from Israel, but that appears to be about my only option at this point.

Does KM teach you how to integrate your CCW pistol into the fight? Does it teach you weapon retention and things like that?  From what I've seen it looks pretty much like KM is built around you being unarmed.

Link Posted: 6/16/2008 6:56:52 AM EDT
[#34]
While I understand your frustration about locating a class that is local to you...there are CKM instructors in TX.

(1) Lubbock
(1) North West Houston
(1)San Antonio
(1) Elpaso
(1) Frisco

If you need the contact information of any of these instructors, IM me.

The reason for the availability of CKM being so limited is that it was only released to the public in 2004.  There is a limited number of instructors...only about 280 in the world.

As I have mentioned before, I can not comment on gthe curriculum of Krav Maga as it is different than CKM.  I can tell you that in CKM in the Upper levels, there is weapon retention and skills.

Another reason for the limited instruction is that the highest level instructor currently in the US is a Level 4 ( if I am not mistaken )..  In our L4 there are obstacle courses and 02300 runs with atttacker on the trail...as I have said before, not for the faint of heart.  You realy have to dedicate yourself to a system like this for it to be bennificial as it can be.

When I got my L2 instructorship I carried bruises on my arms from the elbow down and under my biceps for over two weeks.  I had severe burns on the sides of my neck from choke escapes and ground work. I had to take a week of from work to let everything heel enough for the Chief to let me come back...lol when I did, he said.."What the Hell happedned to you"  when I told him where I had been, he said " Why the Hell would you do that to yourself "..my response was ..." So I don't end up like "$#%^&".  

I had a tremendous amount of motivation to take this system...I can not go into details, but my jurisdiction had an off duty Officer beat to death.  I was the first Officer on scene, I had known this man for several years...yet I didn't recognize him when I responded.  I had talked to him not 10 minutes before.  As I went through his pockets looking for identification, reality realy hit me hard when I got his ID.  I am also an EMT...as I assisted the other EMS units I had a revelation..don't want to sound hokey..but I made the descission that would never happen to me.  I had always been into firearms and trained often with them as the department instructor..but our PD didn't have an ongoing self defense criteria. I had studied MA for almost 20 years...had been in an inumerable amount of fights on duty...but nothing realy was sunk home until this.

This is not a sales pitch by far.....but I just wanted to give the OP and some of the other people actually interested in defending themselves a little insite as to what actually happens out there.  You can never assume it won't happen to you, and you can never be prepared enough.  I feel that CKM has changed me in a positive way, and I am more than confident in my ability to defend myself and my family.

Silent Type

If you were closer, we could work out together...I realy think you would like some of the stuff I teach.  I also teach pistol and carbine classes as well as CKM...I integrate everything together..I want to be a 360 warrior...ready for anything that comes my way.
I am still working on the website...as soon as it goes operational..I will post some links and videos..

Train hard and Win...always

Bruce
Link Posted: 6/16/2008 11:13:42 AM EDT
[#35]

Originally Posted By Drakich:

Since I'm the guy that started the official BJJ thread here at ARFCOM, I couldn't agree with you more.

The 'habit' I'm speaking of is 'taking it to the ground.'

Many MMA fighters train to do it instinctively, and could be a bad habit on the street.

Official BJJ thread

That's very true. Just watch the episode of umm...whatever the name of the show is where the little MMA dude and the ex-footballer travel around studying different martial arts... and they go to Israel to study KM. The MMA guy takes a beating by mistakenly taking opponents to the ground, where he gets killed by badguy #2 oe #3.

Moral of the story the ground is a bad place to be if you're facing more than one guy.
Link Posted: 6/26/2008 3:34:29 AM EDT
[#36]
Is Krav Maga used by very many Law Enforcement Agencies?
Link Posted: 6/26/2008 9:05:57 AM EDT
[#37]

Originally Posted By awmp:
Is Krav Maga used by very many Law Enforcement Agencies?
2 of the instructors here are LEOs. They work at 2 different agencies I believe, and I'm sure they've taught some brother officers tonight.  I'm meeting with one of the top Tae Kwon Do instructors/competitors in the country tonight that takes KM also.  He's one of my brother's best friends and has ran schools all over the country for the ATA.  He's currently working in Charlotte but is here for quals for next years world championships.  
Link Posted: 6/29/2008 7:31:27 AM EDT
[#38]
I am unawre of any LE agencies in KY that are using KM as their "Official" H2H system...I can guarantee none are using CKM...as they have not contacted me or the only other instructor here in the state.

I think that KM or CKM would be a wonderful asset to anyone in LE.  I made the transistion from taditional arts to CKM after seeing a brother Officer beaten to death..Click..that will never happen to me.  Once that switch was flipped..I viewed things in a whole new light.

While KM and CKM might be considered overly "violent" for Police to use...I offer this rebuttal... if we do get into a fight, it will almost always be a fight for our lives..as there is at least one weapon already involved.

CKM does have a curriculum that is geared for LE..it deals more with engaging and controlling instead of engage..destroy..disengage. Looking forward to taking that as well...just another tool.
Link Posted: 7/1/2008 9:43:54 AM EDT
[#39]
I wish someone would open something up in Des Moines of KM or CKM. It seems most of the states around us have it, can't wait until someone filters in.
Link Posted: 7/5/2008 9:12:43 AM EDT
[#40]
There is one certified CKM instructor in IA

He is in Quad Cities area..anywhere close to you?

LMK I will get his contact info for you..

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/5/2008 10:14:09 AM EDT
[#41]
Lawdog,
is there a website that gives a list of CKM instructors by state?

I am in West Tennessee.
What part of Kentucky are you in?

Link Posted: 7/10/2008 6:32:12 PM EDT
[#42]
www.commandokravmaga.com

There is a section for certified CKM instructor around the world.  When you open it up, just click on the map on the United States..it will open a larger map of individual states.  Then select the state you want..bingo.

I have a friend that instructs in TN.  Jeff Kirby, I can put you incontact with him...if he is still teaching.  

If anyone has any questions feel free to post here, or IM or mail me.  I have had several IMs and emails concerning CKM..I am glad to see the interest, it is a great system with little exposure till recently.  This has caused a lot of issues with other people.  

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/12/2008 1:51:27 AM EDT
[#43]

Originally Posted By Dusty_C:
ETA I'm gonna start classes in August.

What parts of my body should I concentrate on the hardest between now and then?

Cardio.  Get your cardio in order or you'll be puking on the first day.  Maybe some HIIT or interval training.

Otherwise, pushups and crunches would also help.  I wanted to puke after 7 minutes in my first class and my arms were sore for a week afterwards.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 12:39:49 AM EDT
[#44]
Hey I am  A CKM instructor , I have trained KM as well . I train traditional Kali as well AS Sayoc Kali and Altienza Kali . I've trained alot of different Martial arts ,been shot at ,attacked with a knife more times than I can count . Ive been in more cqc as a bouncer in downtown Atlanta Ga than I care to remember . There is no I repeat no one better and greater martial art that will get you out of more shit than luck . It takes what 40 to 50 million  bucks to train a special forces solider  and unfortunately they still die .  Now I believe in both Krav Maga and Commando Krav Maga and if you can train both like me 'do so ,BUT if you can train one do so they are both great arts . But everybody jumping on this guy was Rambo in In this or that unit does not matter because with anything its all about intent . You can learn all the death blows you want ,but if you use them get ready to tell a judge why .I will tell you when you win and go to far you will be telling it to a judge back in the real world . Now I know the problem the Km guys have with the CKM is not Krav Maga  ,Well their right its not, it's CKM .As for guys Leaving CKM for KM ,well I started in KM and loved it but I like CKM better and I became a Instructor and I'm no dojo hero WIth a ref standing there to pull someone off of me . CKM to me was more real world that we the people live in . Everything is simple ,easy and it WORKS . It is about surviving not impressing a crowd . Oh and KM as taken more than its fair share of moves from other arts ,like bursting . That is a Wing Chung move (I'm in my 2nd year of that ). As for Sport arts They will still work lol. Hell a good right hook wins alot of fights . Guy's in closing all arts are fun and help you in more ways than just hurting people . Learn and find your art and you won't regret it .

gene
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 2:24:50 PM EDT
[#45]
ckmkaliguy

Welcome to the boards..good to see another CKM instructor here.

IM me...

I had some people interested in the GA. area...I will try to find their emails and forward them to you.  
Link Posted: 7/29/2008 6:32:31 PM EDT
[#46]
KM is a great form of self defense and it works great.  It teaches you the mind set to attact at every opportunity and not to stop.  It's not a sport, it's a defensive tactics system.  It takes combatives for every martial art and it's teaching you to use whatever means necessary to overcome your opponent.  MMA is not the same thing.  KM/CKM are Reality Martial Art forms.  What I've learned is that KM uses anything end everything to teach you the proper mindset, and there are no rules.  You're not there to grapple, you're there to assess the threat, walk away if possible, if you must engage...get in and disengage as quickly as possible.  You're not there to get someone to tap out, you're there to overcome the threat and leave, with whatever means you must take.
Link Posted: 11/27/2008 9:27:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ZipperPig] [#47]
Zack3g

Currently there are no certifed CKM instructors in the state of Louisiana.

Closest instructor to you is TX...

If you want top notch personnal training..Moni will teach private lessons at your location...but I have no clue as to the cost.

If you are ever in KY for any training...I will give you a free class to see if you like it.

Actually...I will extend that offer to anyone willing to travel or happens to be in KY for a short stay.  1st class is free...just to get your feet wet...you be the judge of if its for you or not.  Just don't draw any misconceptions....this is not for the feint of heart or anyone looking for a belt gimme.  

The system has no belts...only levels.  There is no charge for testing and advancing to the next level.  I can teach to my level, and test to the level below mine.  Once you reach L2, only the National Director or Moni himself can test you....still no fee for the test.  Moni is a very dedicated person, and take an extreme amount of interest in only having top quality students and instuctors.  To keep us on our toes, our Certs are only good for 1 year as an instructor.  We can attend as many classes as we like during that year for no cahrge at all once we get our Certification.  We must progress to the next level within one year to maintain out instructor status.  Moni believes this is the only way to...in his words" We don't hang a diploma on the wall and then stop training and get fat and smoke cigars" The system constantly evolves and changes...."If we don't evolve, we dissapear"...again Monis words.

If anyone has any questions...feel free to mail me or IM..

I believe I have answered al the IMs I have received so far..

Thanks

Bruce

Disregard...Found what I was looking for...
Link Posted: 4/26/2009 5:49:08 PM EDT
[#48]
One big art I've seen that works well on the street is Aikido (not American-ized).   asu.org for the traditional training. Having studied Karate (way too young/long ago), KM and just straight boxing, it seems to work the best for crowds or 1+.

As stated, any martial art for self-defense is a last resort and don't bet your life on it, no matter how good you are.

Case in point, a guy I trained with in D.C. at a seminar was out celebrating his 1st degree blackbelt in aikido (on top of Jui-Jitsu, Karate and a semi-pro kickboxer) was belly-up to the bar with friends (in unmarked, regular street clothes).  Guy came up to him, tapped him on the shoulder and stabbed him right under the rib cage.   No training will every counter-act that.
Link Posted: 4/27/2009 7:09:34 PM EDT
[#49]
How come a lot of people are debasing KM and CKM and calling it "Krap maga" when they have very little experience with it. I also checked out bullshido.net and they're all ( >90% it seems ) against it.  What gives?  They question its history, hierarchy, skills and tactics and claim BJJ is better.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 4:55:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By shinoi:
How come a lot of people are debasing KM and CKM and calling it "Krap maga" when they have very little experience with it. I also checked out bullshido.net and they're all ( >90% it seems ) against it.  What gives?  They question its history, hierarchy, skills and tactics and claim BJJ is better.

BJJ is better, if you train for years and your enemy is alone.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top