Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 36
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 9:23:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Wow.

Let your belt hang outside for a couple hours to dry in the sun.

Spray it down with Lysol and let it hang outside.

Link Posted: 6/1/2016 1:38:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GENESMITH:
Wow.

Let your belt hang outside for a couple hours to dry in the sun.

Spray it down with Lysol and let it hang outside.

View Quote

You wash your gi?
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 11:17:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm definitely in the wash everything camp. I never want to be known as the stinky guy.

Update, I'm about 5 months in and I'm finding ways to get in more classes per week with another local school (professors at both are affiliated at completely cool with me doing both) so now I'm up to 5 times a week for a total of up to 7-8 hours. I can really feel my progress, especially in relation to guys who started at the same time as I did. I'm also noticing huge changes body wise, I'm down from 200ish to 178 in weight and down two pant sizes and a size lower in shirts as well. I just plain feel great.

My focus now is lots of mat time and trying not to get hurt (sprained a rib last night so I'm not entirely successful in that endeavor). I'd like to compete at some local tournaments next spring as well.

Link Posted: 6/5/2016 10:03:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Amontgomery:
I'm definitely in the wash everything camp. I never want to be known as the stinky guy.

Update, I'm about 5 months in and I'm finding ways to get in more classes per week with another local school (professors at both are affiliated at completely cool with me doing both) so now I'm up to 5 times a week for a total of up to 7-8 hours. I can really feel my progress, especially in relation to guys who started at the same time as I did. I'm also noticing huge changes body wise, I'm down from 200ish to 178 in weight and down two pant sizes and a size lower in shirts as well. I just plain feel great.

My focus now is lots of mat time and trying not to get hurt (sprained a rib last night so I'm not entirely successful in that endeavor). I'd like to compete at some local tournaments next spring as well.

View Quote

Nice work man keep going but its ok to take a break to refresh. If you can compete I'd recommend doing that. It's really fun and highlights what you need to work on.

And yes wash everything belt included.
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 11:55:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By denverdan:

Nice work man keep going but its ok to take a break to refresh. If you can compete I'd recommend doing that. It's really fun and highlights what you need to work on.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

It sounds weird, but it's gotten to be like my "church" as in I feel mentally and emotionally refreshed after training. My wife has noticed a huge improvement in my general attitude as well as how I respond to stress. So I'd prefer not to take breaks if I can help it. But I definitely get that sometimes it may be necessary so I don't have to take long periods off after getting seriously injured. I just keep a journal of classes attended and set goals for total classes versus how many I want to attend in a given month. That gives me a few I can miss if I need recovery time and still meet the goal I set for myself. I'm finally at the stage where things are really starting to click and I don't feel totally awkward when I'm doing live rolling. I've even got my own "game" based around guards I like to play (butterfly... I love butterfly) and that makes it all the more addictive. I'm definitely going to be doing this for the long haul.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 8:16:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Well I blew out my Meniscus Dr. says surgery next week and 4 weeks of rehab.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 5:14:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By jcncc:
View Quote

Damn that's shitty. How'd it happen?
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 10:20:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Just got two stripes on myy blue belt tonight.

Even better my wife got three on her white belt. Pretty proud of her especially since shes pretty much the only female at our school. So she spends her time rolling/training with men that outweigh her by a minimum of 30 lbs amd as much as 85 lbs.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 8:27:09 AM EDT
[#9]

View All Quotes

Been messed up for awhile. New student tried Tai Otoshi when that didn't work he grabbed my lower leg put his shoulder into my knee and hit me like I was a blocking dummy. :)  He did not know any better and frankly if knee was healthy it could have stood the assault. It was a case of kill the instructor LOL
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 7:58:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Surgery done, prognosis excellent. Doc going to start me on extreme rehab in two weeks so I can get on mat sooner. He also told me to drop 20 lbs. :(
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 10:55:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Surgery done, prognosis excellent. Doc going to start me on extreme rehab in two weeks so I can get on mat sooner. He also told me to drop 20 lbs. :(
View Quote

Good news on the prognosis at least. Heal up soon man time off the mats kinda sucks.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 3:06:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Cool didn't know this existed.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 4:21:24 PM EDT
[#13]

Originally Posted By bcauz3y:

View Quote
Same here!

Link Posted: 7/19/2016 4:22:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Remman:
Same here!

View All Quotes
Same here!

Seems there are a lot of us on this site.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 4:44:04 PM EDT
[#15]

View All Quotes
Same here!

Link Posted: 7/20/2016 10:45:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Welp, after nearly a year and a half I'm back on the mats (went out with a lumbar injury in 2015)

First time back for gi class tonight, me and two of the guys I used to train with were the only blue belts and I'm the oldest in the room at 47.

It was good to be back, going to start probably one day a week and ease back into it.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 6:55:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Ha Ha, took a Judo guy to show you BJJ guys where the thread is. Happy rolling.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 7:23:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Ha Ha, took a Judo guy to show you BJJ guys where the thread is. Happy rolling.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/21/2016 7:54:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Same here!

View All Quotes
Same here!

What rank/how long have you guys been training?
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 8:17:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Since the flood. Been doing MA for about 45 not continious years. Mostly TKD, Japanese JJ and my first love Judo. I train Amateur MMA guys and adults/Juniors/kids in basic Judo. 60yo so I don't Randori much especially with lower belts.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 9:38:03 AM EDT
[#21]

View All Quotes
Same here!

So I started doing JJ and Muay Thai about 9 years ago, with the intent to compete in MMA. I was a blue belt then.

Little did I know, that the gym I was at was in no way close to real BJJ. So I recently started at a Gracie gym, and learned real fast how much different real BJJ is.

For now, I'm a white belt, until I can catch up.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 3:50:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Remman] [#22]

View All Quotes

Same here!

I'm a white belt and have been training for 4-5 months.  Wrestling, and level 2 combatives background.  Trained tang soo do for years as a kid as well.

Link Posted: 7/21/2016 10:18:47 PM EDT
[#23]

So I started doing JJ and Muay Thai about 9 years ago, with the intent to compete in MMA. I was a blue belt then.

Little did I know, that the gym I was at was in no way close to real BJJ. So I recently started at a Gracie gym, and learned real fast how much different real BJJ is.

View All Quotes

Same here!

Yes, pedigree makes a difference unfortunately.

My school is a Gracie Barra school, I've known the Professor since he was a blue belt (now he's a black belt). The curriculum is solid and the Prof is a decent guy all around, no complaints from me.

Which Gracie school are you with, GB or some other?

Link Posted: 7/21/2016 10:55:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By navvet89:

My school is a Gracie Barra school, I've known the Professor since he was a blue belt (now he's a black belt). The curriculum is solid and the Prof is a decent guy all around, no complaints from me.

View Quote

GB

http://graciebarraalabama.com/
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 11:57:57 PM EDT
[#25]

GB

View All Quotes

GB

Same here Gracie Barra.  The professor is my neighbor and is a great teacher. He is also one of the only professors in the area that competes on a regular basis.  He is usually on the podium as well.

Link Posted: 7/22/2016 7:25:54 AM EDT
[#26]
We have recently reached out to some of Gracie BBs that have started their own clubs. We do judo seminars to help them with standup fighting and they school us on the deep secrets of effective Newaza. It has worked very well for all. Point being Judo and BJJ are step brothers the artificial lines drawn by ego and tradition fade quickly once students get together and train.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 11:45:44 AM EDT
[#27]

We have recently reached out to some of Gracie BBs that have started their own clubs. We do judo seminars to help them with standup fighting and they school us on the deep secrets of effective Newaza. It has worked very well for all. Point being Judo and BJJ are step brothers the artificial lines drawn by ego and tradition fade quickly once students get together and train.
View Quote
My gym is lucky to have a collegiate wrestler and a judo black belt that holds both wrestling and judo classes.  Its a great way to broaden ones skill set of attacks and defenses.

Link Posted: 7/22/2016 1:49:24 PM EDT
[#28]
View Quote

Our head instructor (John Crouch/Royce Gracie black belt) has trained some judo we've pretty much been doing some since day one. I don't know the names of everything but throws are definitely something we do quite a bit of.

Something I've noticed about judo. The women we train with can throw like a mofo. My wife (three stripe white belt) who weighs like 135 lbs can absolutely wreck someone twice her size with her throws. There are a few other women I train with that are the same way. They just seem WAY better at it than the guys.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 2:16:30 PM EDT
[#29]

Our head instructor (John Crouch/Royce Gracie black belt) has trained some judo we've pretty much been doing some since day one. I don't know the names of everything but throws are definitely something we do quite a bit of.

Something I've noticed about judo. The women we train with can throw like a mofo. My wife (three stripe white belt) who weighs like 135 lbs can absolutely wreck someone twice her size with her throws. There are a few other women I train with that are the same way. They just seem WAY better at it than the guys.
View All Quotes

Lower center of gravity?

Link Posted: 7/22/2016 4:14:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Same here Gracie Barra.  The professor is my neighbor and is a great teacher. He is also one of the only professors in the area that competes on a regular basis.  He is usually on the podium as well.

http://www.b1bjjfitness.com

View All Quotes

GB

What really blew me away early is the difference between what I knew to be a "blue" belt, and a REAL blue belt in BJJ.

Only took one good roll to figure that out.

When 2/3rds of your training is striking, you get humbled real fast.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 9:19:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Lower center of gravity?

View All Quotes

Lower center of gravity?

Maybe with some guys  but I'm actually shorter than all but one of the ladies I train with.
I think it may be because they use technique more than strength out of necessity. A lot of guys will try to muscle stuff and it ends up kinda clumsy.

My wife however drops her base and gets her hips under yours and you're going for a ride Jack.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 8:37:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jcncc] [#32]
Lower center of gravity?

View All Quotes

Lower center of gravity?

Winner, winner chicken dinner. Women have lower center of gravity and wider hips and less strength. I prefer to teach females especially Junior females. When teaching a mixed class the girls will listen to every word while boys will be thinking "shut up so we can fight". LOL

EDIT: just wanted to mention there is a website run by a Russian Sambo, Judo coach. it is loaded with great vids that you download on phone or computer. Put Vids on a flash drive and share with Buddies. Its called Grapplers Guide, its like 20 bucks for lifetime access and well worth it. They run membership discounts all the time.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 12:31:51 PM EDT
[#33]

What really blew me away early is the difference between what I knew to be a "blue" belt, and a REAL blue belt in BJJ.

View All Quotes

GB

Agreed, one of the guys I work with is all into MMA, he holds no rank in BJJ but doesn't hesitate to tell me all about how I'm supposed to be practicing Jiu Jitsu.

I just give him the smile and nod

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 11:08:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Well, I'm out for a bit.

My little rib pop two months ago turned out to be two broken ribs. I've been away for 4 weeks already and feeling much better. Funny what taking time off to heal will do.

I went back last night to watch the lesson so I wouldn't be completely lost. I should be good to go back to drilling after another week or so. I figure when I've gone a week without pain in day to day movement through full range of motion I can drill lightly.

My follow up is at the end of August, so I'll wait to be cleared before I get back into rolling again.

Hopefully, I'll be cleared before September so I can make the Kurt Osiander seminar nearby.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 8:09:45 AM EDT
[#35]
Well, I'm out for a bit.

My little rib pop two months ago turned out to be two broken ribs. I've been away for 4 weeks already and feeling much better. Funny what taking time off to heal will do.

I went back last night to watch the lesson so I wouldn't be completely lost. I should be good to go back to drilling after another week or so. I figure when I've gone a week without pain in day to day movement through full range of motion I can drill lightly.

My follow up is at the end of August, so I'll wait to be cleared before I get back into rolling again.

Hopefully, I'll be cleared before September so I can make the Kurt Osiander seminar nearby.
View Quote

Bummer, you don't know how much you miss it till you have to sit out. Ive been out eight weeks, trying to look at it as a moment of reflection. Realized always train hard, carefully, safely and make every minute count.
Link Posted: 8/6/2016 8:33:58 AM EDT
[#36]
Mens 60 kg and Womens 48kg at 0800 CST    stream at        http://www.nbcolympics.com/judo
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 7:59:06 AM EDT
[#37]
Well, I'm out for a bit.

View Quote

I feel ya. Popped my rib(s) last night. This shit really fucking hurts. They don't feel broken but definitely not right.
I'm supposed to compete next weekend but that's not looking very promising now. Oh well my wife is doing her first tournament then  I guess I can just focus on helping her and my other team mates out.
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 11:15:37 AM EDT
[#38]
I am a female in my 60's who has been doing BJJ for about a year and a half now.  Last year I popped a rib head, but did not know what I did, only that it hurt.  After way too long hurting, our Professor sent me to his chiropractor (the first time I had gone to one).  I had forgotten how it felt not to hurt thanks to the first session, instant relief.  One follow up was all it took.  Hopefully will not happen again, but I now know what to do.  

I feel ya. Popped my rib(s) last night. This shit really fucking hurts. They don't feel broken but definitely not right.
I'm supposed to compete next weekend but that's not looking very promising now. Oh well my wife is doing her first tournament then  I guess I can just focus on helping her and my other team mates out.
View All Quotes
Well, I'm out for a bit.

Link Posted: 8/13/2016 10:52:39 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By K-bit:
I am a female in my 60's who has been doing BJJ for about a year and a half now.  Last year I popped a rib head, but did not know what I did, only that it hurt.  After way too long hurting, our Professor sent me to his chiropractor (the first time I had gone to one).  I had forgotten how it felt not to hurt thanks to the first session, instant relief.  One follow up was all it took.  Hopefully will not happen again, but I now know what to do.  

View All Quotes

Well, I'm out for a bit.

I may give that a shot. This sucks.
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 9:02:18 PM EDT
[#40]

View All Quotes

Well, I'm out for a bit.

I've "popped ribs" a few times on my sides, in my case basically a slight tear of the connecting material between the bones. Not much to do for that except take it easy for a month.

I've been off the mats for 18+ months and went back last week, bruised the crap out of my left ankle drilling osoto gari combinations. Hit shin to shin with my partner during the drills somehow and got a bone bruise about four inches across

I'm training on light duty for a few weeks until the swelling goes down.

Link Posted: 9/2/2016 10:39:40 PM EDT
[#41]
I was able to go back at full duty this past week. It was nice to get back on the mats and roll again (after being cleared by a doctor) but boy can I ever feel my cardio drop off. I'm looking forward to getting back to the point where I don't feel rusty. Just have to keep going to the classes and it'll come back.

As a cool side note, my first night back dressing out, my professor comes up to me and states that he's seen enough improvement before my injury and that he feels that I deserve my first stripe even though I didn't go through the formal testing. I was pretty surprised, as I had missed the test in late July and figured I'd just end up taking a little longer than usual to progress through the belt rank stuff, I wasn't worried about it or anything, but it was a nice surprise.
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 8:04:02 AM EDT
[#42]
I was able to go back at full duty this past week. It was nice to get back on the mats and roll again (after being cleared by a doctor) but boy can I ever feel my cardio drop off. I'm looking forward to getting back to the point where I don't feel rusty. Just have to keep going to the classes and it'll come back.

As a cool side note, my first night back dressing out, my professor comes up to me and states that he's seen enough improvement before my injury and that he feels that I deserve my first stripe even though I didn't go through the formal testing. I was pretty surprised, as I had missed the test in late July and figured I'd just end up taking a little longer than usual to progress through the belt rank stuff, I wasn't worried about it or anything, but it was a nice surprise.
View Quote

Good that your back at it. Like most coaches, senseis, Sokies they assure your up to standard before you test. Believe it or not a test failure reflects poorly on the coach. So you had it in the bag you just weren't there for the party. Congrats.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 5:28:00 PM EDT
[#43]
So I am getting back into BJJ.

About 6 years ago I trained for a year and before that I did Judo for about 4 years. A lot of stuff is rusty and some is coming back quick.

Does anyone have a fix for matt / gi burn on fingers and toes?

And who sells low cost fat person gi's? I am 310 and 5'11. My old gi barely fits.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 7:25:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By ffsparky26:

About 6 years ago I trained for a year and before that I did Judo for about 4 years. A lot of stuff is rusty and some is coming back quick.

And who sells low cost fat person gi's? I am 310 and 5'11. My old gi barely fits.
View Quote

Not sure about the mat/gi burn thing I just came to the realization that it was just a part of my life now.

We have a guy at our school about your size he  wears a Breakpoint A5.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 9:28:23 PM EDT
[#45]

View Quote
Shave the hair off around them and keep them covered with bacitracine, band-aids and tape, even in your shoes, letting sock lint get in them is one of the worst things you can do.

To prevent them don't drag your digits on the mat, but you figured that out already I'm sure.

Link Posted: 10/6/2016 9:48:19 PM EDT
[#46]
So tonight in class I was working with a guy about my weight but taller than me. I had him in my guard and was working a collar choke, I couldn't get the choke he kept sliding his head down. So I just pulled his gi over his head and went for an armbar.

I've be working hard on not muscling people. Is pulling a gi over a head a dick move? Is it illegal?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 2:54:11 PM EDT
[#47]
So tonight in class I was working with a guy about my weight but taller than me. I had him in my guard and was working a collar choke, I couldn't get the choke he kept sliding his head down. So I just pulled his gi over his head and went for an armbar.

I've be working hard on not muscling people. Is pulling a gi over a head a dick move? Is it illegal?

Thanks.
View Quote

Not sure if it's legal (in competition) or not. Dick move, meh not really some of our black belts do it to me just to fuck with me. I wouldn't call it a legit move just kinda goofy imho.

Your buddy defending a choke by pulling his head down isn't good. If he was kinda tucking his chin that's a good way to get a broken jaw.
Link Posted: 11/9/2016 5:31:22 AM EDT
[#48]

View Quote

Sorry to dredge up an old post! But in the event that you may still need that gi, I have a few suggestions.
1. Padilla & Son's. Probably the best bang for the buck on the market. A real BJJ geek gi. I have several, including 2 that I bought all the way back in 2000. Still as good today as when new.
2. Fuji: They make outstanding gi's at really great prices too. In the $75 - $90 range.
3. Warrior By Origin: Super cool looking, and ranging from $99 to $139. Made in the USA mind you. Origin products are my "go-to" gi's.

As for the burn... just getting callouses is going to fix that.
Link Posted: 11/9/2016 5:33:14 AM EDT
[#49]

Thanks.
View Quote

A dick move? not hardly! Smart actually. It's no different than using an opponents lapel against them. And besides, if your opponents posture is so bad that you even get the chance to put the gi over his head, he deserves it.
Link Posted: 11/9/2016 5:40:11 AM EDT
[#50]
I've been on and off this forum for so many years. So forgive the low post count.

Like the rest of you BJJ addict here. I started BJJ in 1996 under a very senior level Brazilian.He got his red/black belt. And he moved in with me and my wife. so I got to train 5=6 days a week.

I love training wth gi primarily. So if you are in the Atlanta area, and would love to train, I would love to know that. I have mats at home, and having a training partner outside of class would be awesome. To that end, if you find yourself passing through town, and want to train, please hit me up.

I'm also a gi-geek, with over 40 gi's. Interested in trades or buying unique gi's.

If ya wanna train chokesbox @ gmailm
Page / 36
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top