Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/30/2015 1:57:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DenverDave]
I have been experimenting with building some targets/ target stands on the cheap with parts from home depo and or dumpster diving.  Few things that have worked for me:

1)  Sawhorse - pretty self explanatory, hang a plate, afit a target,  from/ to the top beam of the sawhorse.

2) Bucket and a 2/4-  I came up with this one and am pretty happy with it.  Costs less than $15 (not including the plate of course), and its light wieght and portable.  Basically you take a 2/4 or similar cut of wood, 3 or 4 foot tall, home depo scrap is a good source, then I attache a 90 degree brace type fixture at the top with two screw holes on each arm of the fixture, drill screws into the 2 holes on one arm into the 2/4 and use cables  or paracord to attach a plate to the two holes on the other arm.  Obviously the cables withstand the bullets better but the paracord is cheaper.  On the bottom side I take two of the same type right angle figures and screw them into the bottom of the 2/4 pointing in opposite directions.  I put the bottom side of the board into one of those big orange buckets from home depot (make sure the fixtures are small enough to reach the bottom of the bucket but as tight a fit as you can manage.   Then I fill the bucket up with rocks, bricks anything heavy I can find in the environment I am shooting at to create a stable base keeping the 2/4 erect.  Obviously different variations of this will work.  You can also affix a cardboard backed paper target to it instead of a plate.  If your as good a shot as I am you will likely need to replace the 2/4 after a few outings but thats not costly.

Let me know what systems you have come up with.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 2:39:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DashDot] [#1]
I use a 4x4 with a ar500 target on a bolt with a fence post attachment for the bottom.

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 2:42:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Yep - Sawhorse and hang a round 1/2 plate with two chains or straps that is bolted to hang at a 20 degree down angle. No need to get much more creative.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:52:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DenverDave] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Idaholandho:
Yep - Sawhorse and hang a round 1/2 plate with two chains or straps that is bolted to hang at a 20 degree down angle. No need to get much more creative.
View Quote

The sawhorse is a good system without a doubt. Only issue is portability.  Its bulky and hard to move around.  Thats why I came up with the bucket 2/4 system.  I can fit a lot more 2/4s and buckets in my car than sawhorses.   Also,  after a few min of hiking around the CO mountains, at 10k feet plus, carrying a sawhorse with a steel plate chained to it you may come to appreciate an empty bucket and single plank alternative.

I dont have my own land to set-up a permanent or semi permanent range on so for me, its all ad hok, pack it in, pack it out set-ups.
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 4:23:20 PM EDT
[#4]
The Arntzen folding target stand for steel beats everything I have ever seen. Fairly light weight, portable even in the trunk of a smallish car, holds full size IPSC plates without issue.....I own 20 of them.
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 7:46:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I built a single 12 inch AR500 steel plate hanger with 2x4s and chains.  The target doesn't clang, it is more of slapping sound when I hit it.  Its not a problem at 100 yards as I can still hear it but out at 300 yards if I don't see it move I cant tell.  I used clevis pins to connect the chains to the plate ears and eye bolts to connect the other ends of the chains to the wooden cross bar.  Any ideas on how to get a clang out of this assembly?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top