Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/22/2014 11:56:27 PM EDT
This may be in the wrong section, but:

I'm looking for the best hearing perfection I can get (for the money) willing to go over $100 and willing to go higher to protect my ear balls.
Let me know what pair you think are the best.

As always,
Thank y'all!
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 12:32:24 AM EDT
[#1]
The electronic muffs are great. Howard Leight run about 40$ and are very nice. There are more expensive brands but I dont see an increase in value commensurate with increase in price.
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 1:08:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Howard leight
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 12:48:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PFCMoxy] [#3]
certain model?

EDIT:

I see this on Amazon prime:

http://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-R-01526-Electronic-Earmuff/dp/B001T7QJ9O/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1390499298&sr=8-2&keywords=howard+leight
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 7:12:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Here is a repost from another section that I commented on:

I have owned a lot of electronic ear-pro over the years (Peltor Tac 6s, ComTacs, Pro-Ears, the Sordin Supreme, and TCI's DEHP).

If you only plan on casual range sessions, plinking, and just enjoying your time on the range, then just about any electronic ear pro will do just fine.

If you do some low intensity shooting classes, then the Peltor 6s is a good choice (and probably the Howard Leights, too); just make sure you 'air out' the electronic innards afterwards (to keep sweat from messing up the circuit boards). These provide good hearing protection and are fairly sturdy.

If you are one of those that trains hard/goes to rigorous carbine and pistol courses (or does a lot of 3Gun type stuff) on a regular basis, then you go with any of the following:

Peltor ComTacs (I or II's)

MSA/Sordin Supreme (air out the innards....they are not as protected as the TCI DEHP electronics)

TCI's DEHP

These three brands are the most robust ones out right now. They cost more, but, they hold up very well to rough and tumble classes.

YMMV
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 2:45:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Gamma762] [#5]
Most protection?

Any decent foam earplugs, know how to use them to get a good seal.

Then a pair of Howard Leight Leighning L3 earmuffs.  Alternatively, the Bilsom Viking V3 are also very good.

All electronic earmuffs are inferior to the top rated passive earpro.
Link Posted: 5/30/2014 3:12:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By PFCMoxy:
certain model?

EDIT:

I see this on Amazon prime:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/81G-OpPY8DL._SL1500_.jpg
http://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-R-01526-Electronic-Earmuff/dp/B001T7QJ9O/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1390499298&sr=8-2&keywords=howard+leight
View Quote

I have a pair of these. They ain't peltors, but they work really well, especially for the price.
If you want an actual plug, check out the Surefire in ear ones for about $15-20. They work great too
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 10:43:14 AM EDT
[#7]
I have spend hundreds of dollars to protect my ears. I work in the Aviation industry and firearms instructor. The best hearing protection available is the custom molded ones. tell the maker you want them thick , not flush with the inside of the ear, They work so well I have a hard time hearing what people are saying during a safety briefing.
Secondary to custom molded plugs you should buy ear pro by its NRR/ Noise reduction rating. The best is 32 NRR and the worst is about 18. When I work matches around rifles with muzzle brakes I wear plugs and muffs. Some issues with muffs can be: they are hot in the summer; frames of safety glasses can break the seal around the ear. and they can be dislodged when rifle or shotgun shooting.
Make an informed decision
Scott
www.centerfiretraining.com
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 9:41:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Howard Leights, with the sonic defenders underneath.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 11:04:21 PM EDT
[#9]
I was issued Peltor soundtraps and purchased sonic defenders to wear underneath. Worked great.

If you have the coin the comtacs are worth it. Oh of you get a set of comtacts just rubber band the cords to the headband and don't waste your money on a wrap.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 11:14:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By satx-satx:
The electronic muffs are great. Howard Leight run about 40$ and are very nice. There are more expensive brands but I dont see an increase in value commensurate with increase in price.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 9:36:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Ended up going with the lights and adding in foam or these cone shaped plastic for double protection when I'm working near muzzle brakes and such. Thanks for all the info guys.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 10:35:49 AM EDT
[#12]
NRR of 22 is probably not high enough for indoor shooting, especially with hot magnums.  .40 and .357 Sig may still be painful.  NRR of 19 is definitely not enough as in the 6s Peltors.  

There are several that are in the 30 range.  If you want the best, shop for the best NRR or you will be wearing earplugs under your ear muffs.

I am happy with the Peltor 7s with NRR of 24.  Sometimes I still wear earplugs with them. The folding versions don't seem to seal as well for some reason.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 5:58:21 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm a rep for Etymotic. I have been using the EB15 hands down the best ear pro for the money. Check them out www.etymotic.com
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 3:38:35 AM EDT
[#14]
A difference of 6db means a doubling (or halfing) of loudness.  So the 22db Howard Leights are at the lower end.  A 28db would cut the sound in half.  A 32db would cut the sound to almost 1/4 of the loudness.

22db is doable at an outdoor range for a short session.  Anything longer or indoors you should get a better set of muffs or use earplugs under them.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 4:03:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By ZippZ:
A difference of 6db means a doubling (or halfing) of loudness.  So the 22db Howard Leights are at the lower end.  A 28db would cut the sound in half.  A 32db would cut the sound to almost 1/4 of the loudness.
View Quote

3dB is 2x the physical sound intensity/level. 6dB would be 4x.  10dB is roughly how people perceive sound to be "twice as loud" although that varies a lot.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 11:30:40 AM EDT
[#16]

Basic pistol 9mm/40/45 and rimfire I just use my work provided HL earplugs.

When shooting high powder rifles like ar15 and up I double my earplugs with my 3m peltor shotgunner muffs. They fit great and are low pro. Only con is the are rated for only 22db. So double up is alot more comfortable.

Plus I can't tell you how many times my permanent earplugs saved my ass. Alot of times the range will be hot and I'll remove my ear muffs while packing up. Without the earplugs I'd ve deaf.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 1:42:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Since this thread has been bumped, I'll update my suggestion on passive earpro.

The Browning HDR is rated a little higher than the others I mentioned. They fit me better than either of the other two, and do seem to be a little more effective.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005ERRM4G?tag=vglnk-c102-20
Link Posted: 10/25/2022 12:44:41 AM EDT
[#18]
And I will bump it again 5 years later with the fact I just picked up a set of Walker XCel 500BTs, 26NRR, four levels of sound clarity, and Bluetooth capability, on sale at MidwayUSA from $150 down to $75. I have only tried them in the house, but I am really happy with the quality so far. Interesting one of the sound levels is specifically meant to pick up steel target impacts at long range.
Link Posted: 10/25/2022 1:06:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By PFCMoxy:
I'm looking for the best hearing perfection I can get
View Quote

Plugs and muffs.  Get the highest NRRs that still fit your budget.
Link Posted: 10/25/2022 1:28:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By armoredman:
And I will bump it again 5 years later with the fact I just picked up a set of Walker XCel 500BTs, 26NRR, four levels of sound clarity, and Bluetooth capability, on sale at MidwayUSA from $150 down to $75. I have only tried them in the house, but I am really happy with the quality so far. Interesting one of the sound levels is specifically meant to pick up steel target impacts at long range.
View Quote

Which are some neat features, but if the goal is superior hearing protection, the Browning muffs I posted 5 years ago are rated at 37NRR, for 11dB more attenuation which is quite significant.
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 2:34:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Double ear pro with electronic muffs and gel ear pads.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top