Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/9/2011 11:27:16 AM EDT
I am intrested being a professional gunsmith, and in all my research I want to know if its a rewarding career for a healthy living. I am planning on going through gunsmithing courses either way, whether is a side jobs, or personal use, or bein a professional gunsmith. Most gunsmiths say it is hard to earn a decent living but they owned their wn shops. I want to know about people who worked for buisinesses/ sporting goods retailers as a gunsmith. I also want to hear from smiths who work for generously sized companies like Colt, DPMS, Beretta, ect. And why not hear from smiths who own their own shop too.
Link Posted: 12/9/2011 11:35:31 AM EDT
[#1]
well i too was in your boots. Its only good if one you can work for a retailer that requires a gunsmith or your in area that needs a gunsmith. If you go on your own you need a lot of equpiment which can put you in the hole fast (just look at Brownells catalog). If you go on your own its more of hobby than it is a career unless you have a lot of work come through. at least if you are at retailer you will have steady work. not working on guns only but selling them etc.
Link Posted: 12/9/2011 8:11:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Best to specialize in today's market, unless you have high end clients who want custom weaponry that are closer to art pieces.

DPMS and other AR15 business don't really have many smiths walking around, it is more of an assembly line type operation. AR15s are mass machine produced weapons, not a lot of custom fitting going on there.

If I were you, start off with simple services - scope mounting, stock fitting, accurizing, bore sighting, etc - then expand your services and skills from there.
Link Posted: 8/29/2013 7:51:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I am a full time gunsmith that has been working in the industry for 8 years. I own all of my equipment (mill, lathe, hand tools, specialty tools) It is expensive, but you not only can write it off on your taxes, you will also always have a way to make money. I do not specialize on one platform. I have found that it limits my money making. I would suggest that if you are not mechanical, go to a top school( Lakewood, CO or Trinidad, CO) these are the top 2 in the US. You are looking at 2 yrs, and once you graduate, you will be able to get work as an apprentise/assistant gunsmith. You will be looking at a starting pay of approximately $12-15hr. Good gunsmiths that work for a shop can make $18-30hr plus commission (5-15%) If you have the money to open your own shop, you need to find out what the other shops around you are charging for services. Feel free to contact me if you need any other info.

JIM
Link Posted: 11/17/2013 6:26:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I have been doing it part time in my own garage, starting off as trying to do it debt free. Working a full time job plus nights and week ends for myself. as of a month ago I was laid off my full time job and now doing smithing full time. My wife works so her income pays the bills and I cover my expenses right now. Once you get your FFL, which you need to legally do gunsmithing, it will open up retail sales and transfer of fire arms. You can sink a lot of money into your business fast if you aren't careful. just a few hand guns can run 43000 to $4000 for sale at a gun show. Gun shows do get your name out to a few people also, I always pick up a few jobs after doing one. No matter how much you advertise or word of mouth you do you will always run across some one that doesn't know you are out there.
Another aspect I have found successful, is visit the local pawn shops and let them know you are in business and offer them a discount off labor rate to work on their broken stuff. This not only will give you revenue from them, but they will also recommend you to their customers.
Drop me a PM if you want to know more.
Jim Fuller
Home Land Security Gunsmithing and Firearms
Corenlia GA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top