Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2011 1:07:05 PM EDT
Does anyone know the safe stand off distance for civillians during training with the use of flash bangs. We are getting someone to use them in a drill tomorrow and I need to set up a briefing for it. The Dept. goes for training on them on friday. Which does not do me any good tomorrow.

Any help would be great.....
Link Posted: 1/18/2011 2:06:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RumbleTruck] [#1]
Call Def Tec (or whom ever makes the one you are using)

Defense Technology
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 2:40:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Can non sworn civies get these?
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 10:35:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Stormcrow190:
Can non sworn civies get these?

No.

I sell them to LEO and they are tightly controlled. I don't even have any in stock - when an order is placed the manufacturer ships directly to the PD.

Av.
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 5:55:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't know the distance, but I can tell you this:

Our swat team uses them from time to time.  When deployed, the first few guys go in and take out any threats.  The last 2 guys in the group are tasked with carrying out the couch because the fire from the flashbang usually ingnites it or any furnature near it.  They carry it out and it usually burns the street until the FD comes to put it out.
Link Posted: 7/20/2011 1:48:19 AM EDT
[#5]
im a Distraction Devices instructor and i will tell you that they are (1) Destructive Devices, thus they are controlled items like any other NFA weapon.  but by policy most if not all flashbang manufacturers will ONLY sell to LE/govt agencies.  not individual officers and no civilian sales.  i guess you could find a LE agency to Form 5 a DD to you but im sure they would not due to extremely bad press potential.  (2) there is no "safe" recommended standoff for a flashbang to be standing near it.  the explosive vents at a certain angle so you can't tell where you are relative to that angle.  we teach to drop it inside the breach point although most officers deploying bangs toss them well into the room and yes set the couch on fire.
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 8:38:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the reply's . We use them to as simulated bombs at breach points, So it is a pretty contolled environment. No couchs, just fences and some gravel. Alot of fun though...
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 10:10:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CQB27] [#7]
Some of the responses here make me scratch my head in wonder.

I have been present during a hundred oe so flash band deployments.  both in the militery and LE, the only fire I have witnessed was a deployment in a room that had some flammable VOC in it.  It was a room in a factory used for refinishing/finishing furniture.  It was a very small fire, put out with one canteen of water.  Never seen a burning couch.

Standoff distance is relative to the type of flashbang used.  If it is a bang with a steel body, it has the ability to "launch" of it is deployed against a wall or other soild structure.  If it is a foam body type, like the ALS or P.S.I., then stand off is not an issue.

This is thoughts from first hand experience, YMMV.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 11:37:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By 17:
Thanks for the reply's . We use them to as simulated bombs at breach points, So it is a pretty contolled environment. No couchs, just fences and some gravel. Alot of fun though...

Use an arty simulator instead...better option and less risk.
Link Posted: 9/3/2011 1:53:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: readytorock556] [#9]
Whats the comp in those things. Is it plain old Flash Powder. 70% potassium perchlorate 30% Fine dark Alum. or do they slap some mag in it. just curious
Link Posted: 7/5/2013 6:33:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Its probably too late for you, but I sent you a PM.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top