Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/8/2017 8:47:51 PM EDT
So, this is my first year in USPSA.  I'm all in.  I've been looking for something like this for years.  

Anyway.  Like i said, i just started and I'm shooting my EDC Glock 19.  

As you know, I'm blasting through a good bunch of ammo with 3 matches a month and weekly training sessions.  

So, what is my next purchase?   Get the G34 (I'm kinda stuck in Production being from a mag ban State) or do i get the Dillon (SDB or 650)?

What to do, what to do.  
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 9:01:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OverScoped] [#1]
Shoot USPSA for a whole year, before making a decision on reloading.

Reloading isn't as cut and dry as it seems.  There are so many variables.  You will want to get to know the basics of reloading AND talk to fellow competitors about how they do it.  Also, you probably cant pick p the brass at the matches.... so keep that in mind.

I do reload.  When I don't have time, I shoot 9mm TULA, and it works just as well and I don't care what happens to the empties.

ETA.. the nice part about reloading is you can make some really nice soft shooting and low recoiling loads that make minimum power factor
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 9:09:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Dillon 650 is a great press but as another poster said, make sure it is what you want to do. Ammo is getting cheaper and at some point it may not be worth it to reload for you.
Good Luck OP, have fun!
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 8:40:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Personally I would get a reloader.   One of the biggest benefits will be the ability to tailor loads to your gun and your style of shooting.  But make sure you learn how to do it safely.  I've had a Dillon 650 for almost 20 years.  It is great.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 9:06:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By CTjer:
So, this is my first year in USPSA.  I'm all in.  I've been looking for something like this for years.  

Anyway.  Like i said, i just started and I'm shooting my EDC Glock 19.  

As you know, I'm blasting through a good bunch of ammo with 3 matches a month and weekly training sessions.  

So, what is my next purchase?   Get the G34 (I'm kinda stuck in Production being from a mag ban State) or do i get the Dillon (SDB or 650)?

What to do, what to do.  
View Quote

Never get into reloading to save money. It will.....eventually, but you will shoot a lot more. You can buy a lot of ammo for the money you spend just to break even.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 9:12:39 AM EDT
[#5]
I am one of those waffling on whether to reload or not. I am edging close to 1k rounds a month in 9mm (147gr, 900fps). However due to various sales, deals etc I can get 1k rounds of that for $180-200. So reloading will save me some money per 1k but not a massive amount. The other problem is myself, I just have no desire to reload. I would rather do about 1000 other things.

What the others say is true though. If I did my own I can do the same tailored loads and not be held up waiting on shipments. Although I solved the latter by ordering the next 1k after I get down to 500 rounds left.

I go back and forth.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 11:51:26 AM EDT
[#6]
I say reloader as next step.  

The gun likely at this point is not holding you back.  

The real value of reloading is not cost, although over time you will reach break-even and spend less per round.  Your volume will increase and your net cost will likely increase as you shoot more.

The value is in controlling your own production volume and having rounds to shoot on demand, and being able to tailor your rounds to your own needs (power factor, accuracy, etc.)

If you are committed to the sport and see yourself in it long term, reloading is non-negotiable, IMO.

I do recommend stepping up to the G34 when you can afford it.  It's a great production gun and can take you all the way to the top.  All my friends shoot Tanfo or CZ but I see zero reason to ever switch from Glock.   
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 7:00:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Get the 650.  I started reloading on one last year.

You can reload 9mm for under 10 cents a round if you buy in bulk.

That's twice as much shooting for the money and you can tailor your loads.

Totally worth it.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 5:38:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Superluckycat:

Totally worth it.
View Quote
Ok, for 10 cents a round you have my attention and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 8:02:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By casarez:
Ok, for 10 cents a round you have my attention and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Totally worth it.
that's with free brass you pick up.

bullets 6.6 each  https://rmrbullets.com/shop/bullets-for-reloading/bullets-for-reloading-9mm-355-12/9mm-115-gr-rocky-mountain-thundercast-rn-1000-ct/?v=7516fd43adaa
powder valley has primers for 2 cents each
powder valley also has powder for 1- 3 cents each depending on charge

that's roughly 10 cents each.  My loads are about 12 each.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 1:13:13 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm aware I won't "save" money in this endeavor.   I'm on pace for about 12,000+ rounds this year and that's with being reserved in my shooting wants.  (I'd like to do a little more)

I have the time.   I'm busy, but there are times when I have to be home for my kids where I'm not really doing much of anything except being a grown body in the house.

I know I'm going to continue shooting (unless something bad happens to me ).

I'm down to about 1,000 rds right now and am ready to shell out another $400 or so on 2k rounds.    Am I better off just putting that towards a Square Deal B?      In the future, a 650 might be an addition (which I may split with another 2 shooters/friends)

I do have a Glock 30s that I don't shoot much that i COULD part with, but I don't like subtracting guns, I like adding guns.  
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 2:29:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Just spring for the 650.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 5:10:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By OverScoped:
Just spring for the 650.
View Quote
Yes.  If you don't get the 650 you'll wish you did.  Get the case feeder too.

Sub .10 cent 9mm:

Blue Bullets 124 grain bought in bulk.  10K is best, 10% off and free shipping.
S&B primers when they go on sale at Cabelas.
Titegroup 8# from Powder Valley.  Buy 32# to spread the shipping and hazmat around.

Range brass.  I hope you saved your brass.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 5:17:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Get the XL650

Reload pistol and rifle
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 7:01:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Yes.  If you don't get the 650 you'll wish you did.  Get the case feeder too.

Sub .10 cent 9mm:

Blue Bullets 124 grain bought in bulk.  10K is best, 10% off and free shipping.
S&B primers when they go on sale at Cabelas.
Titegroup 8# from Powder Valley.  Buy 32# to spread the shipping and hazmat around.

Range brass.  I hope you saved your brass.
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 7:15:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Yeah, i got about 50lb of 9mm and 30lb of .223 as of now.    I knew the day would come.  

The 650 is what i would like to get.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 12:21:55 PM EDT
[#16]
If you're going to get a press I would wait and get a 650. You're going to be reloading enough that the case feeder and auto index will be very nice to have. 

Personally I would get a press first. That alone will eventually free up enough money to buy a new gun. 
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 1:10:32 PM EDT
[#17]

View Quote
124 gr blue bullets in bulk with a coupon code 6.4 c/rnd

8 lb of titegroup from powder valley is $127.50 max charge is 4.0 grains, so at worst 14,000 rounds, so .9 c/rnd.

15,000 fiocchi primers is $360. 2.4 c/rnd

so 6.4 + .9 + 2.4 = 9.7 cents per round, plus a total of $30.50 hazmat shipping for all the powder/primers.

I could shop bullets a little to see if there's something better though.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 6:14:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Thats the kind of math i should show the wife.  

Then again, since she has no idea how much I've spent on ammo, that could backfire.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 10:29:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Thats the kind of math i should show the wife.  

Then again, since she has no idea how much I've spent on ammo, that could backfire.
View Quote
I wouldn't hide any expense from your wife. Eventually if you like USPSA you will  change classes, you will end up getting into other classes and theres where the tuning of ammo and expensive guns just starts. Then theres different holsters, mags and all sorts of stuff and all that adds up and its real shitty to hide $ 2-5000 worth of upgrades over time.  Then when she does find out there will be SHTF in your house.
If you are a USPSA member, you will start getting Front Sight magazine... she will probably look at that just to see what you do and her brain will start turning., and you cant say you bought everything used from a "friend" for $150.

Knowing what I know now, I would wait to make a big investment into reloading.  Ammo is cheap and in stock now, and it will be for at least 4 years. (probably) 
I reload 9mm, but I can buy a case of it shipped for $150... My  9mm loads cost me my time and the price of the components I bought years ago. Now after Sandy Hook when you couldn't get ammo or components, that's where the reloaders really had the advantage..in fact at my club, if you didn't reload  you didn't shoot.... Also, a tip about that.... If nobody is shooting, that means there's no brass laying around, so its really in your advantage to keep your brass for the future.  I remember jumping for joy if I found 5 pieces of extra brass  at my club of 1000 members in 2013-2015.

What I would do is talk to everyone at the matches.  Find out what they use for powder and what loads they like.  find out what bullets they use. Primers too.  Buy a reloading book, NOW.  Start reading. If this is something you really think you will do... Start picking up components, bullets, primers, powder in bulk.  If there is another panic, these items will be gone.  Ammo goes first, components second, and presses third.  If you don't get into reloading, you can easily sell that stuff  to someone at the matches.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 10:38:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Thanks for the info guys. I was not being snarky about wanting to know about 0.10/round. Although i will say some of the matches I shoot are lost brass ones. So not sure I can always get down to 0.10/round.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 3:36:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Thanks for the info guys. I was not being snarky about wanting to know about 0.10/round. Although i will say some of the matches I shoot are lost brass ones. So not sure I can always get down to 0.10/round.
View Quote
RO a major match to build up your supply.  That's where most of my brass comes from.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 4:14:24 PM EDT
[#22]
You're going to amortize the cost of press and components each and every time you reload a case.  I've got brass in various calibers that have been reloaded multiple times.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 9:18:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CTjer] [#23]
I was mostly kidding about the wife bit.  

I probably should start picking up some components when i see the deals.

Edit:    A case of 9mm for $150 shipped?!   Brass?   From......
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 3:58:17 PM EDT
[#24]
View Quote
I am ballpark .09 cents per round for minor power factor 9mm.

Precision Bullets

http://www.precisionbullets.com/

Cases picked up from ROing major 3-gun matches.

CCI primers, buy them in bulk when I find deals.

I use Alliant Green Dot for my 9mm minor loads.  Burns extremely clean, a double charge will overflow the case so is has a built in measure of safety against kabooms.  Very accurate and consistent.    Nobody else that I know of uses it. But it has worked so well for me, for so long, it is all I have used for the last 8-9 years......
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 5:28:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Sinister:
You're going to amortize the cost of press and components each and every time you reload a case.  I've got brass in various calibers that have been reloaded multiple times.
View Quote
well some guys don't have a source of brass... and most matches wont let you police your own... so you leave without any... then you have to go someplace else and try to find more, like at a gun range.  I am a member of a gun club... so I just pick up all kinds and store it at home.  If you don't  have a source, then you have to include that as part of the costs.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:08:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Some matches won't let you pick up brass?  Damn.  

I don't always do it, but I've always seen guys do it at all the matches i go to.  

After the match, especially on the no movement stages where there is just a pile in one spot.  BINGO.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:34:48 PM EDT
[#27]
There are local club USPSA matches that don't let you pick up your brass?  That's weird, I've never heard of that.  Every local match I've been to lets you pick up your brass.  Most major matches are lost brass matches though and brass goes to the ROs.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:40:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Some matches won't let you pick up brass?  Damn.  

I don't always do it, but I've always seen guys do it at all the matches i go to.  

After the match, especially on the no movement stages where there is just a pile in one spot.  BINGO.
View Quote
They will let you if you wait till the end.
I shoot 5 clubs.  I always shoot in the morning. There is a afternoon shoot too usually. So no brass  for me.

Link Posted: 6/27/2017 2:22:51 PM EDT
[#29]
I too just got started in USPSA and have been shooting 1-1.5k rounds per month. Islandview Enterprises makes great ammo for cheap. $165 for 1k rounds (9mm 115gr brass cased) I wait until a coupon code comes up for free shipping on Instagram and order 2 months worth at a time. I have had 0 failures with this ammo.

I'm sure you can reload for cheaper but it would take a long time. I would like to reload eventually but I do not have the time to do so.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 9:04:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By LostKeys45:
I too just got started in USPSA and have been shooting 1-1.5k rounds per month. Islandview Enterprises makes great ammo for cheap. $165 for 1k rounds (9mm 115gr brass cased) I wait until a coupon code comes up for free shipping on Instagram and order 2 months worth at a time. I have had 0 failures with this ammo.

I'm sure you can reload for cheaper but it would take a long time. I would like to reload eventually but I do not have the time to do so.
View Quote
I can pop out to my garage and load 100 rounds in 7 minutes on my 650.  And that's not going fast.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 8:59:07 AM EDT
[#31]
Reloading is a hobby in itself.  If the hobby grasps you, it can be very rewarding personally.  If not, you can get a progressive set up once, pour in parts, and make ammo.  It does require some level of organized thinking to not injure yourself.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 9:24:04 PM EDT
[#32]
I went around 4 years of wanting a reloader for competition. but every time I had the cash I bought a new gun or scope. Finally last year I got into reloading.  Made a bunch of ammo over the winter. Thought I was all set for this season.
  Well I'm out of ammo and out of time so I ended buying a case of factory ammo inorder to keep competing.
  Anyway I say get the gun u want first. Then you can tailor your ammo to the gun if you want down the road.
   Or buy both? Maybe a cheaper reloading set up just to get started? But then again I wish I would have bought a Dillon from the beginning.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 10:02:19 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm working on the classic answer.......get both.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 10:25:59 PM EDT
[#34]
What are you classified in USPSA? A B shooter in USPSA will be good enough to win pistols at GSSF matches around here. Get the Dillon, reload ammo for practice, win amateur placings at GSSF matches then enjoy your new Glock pistol.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 10:29:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 10:06:08 AM EDT
[#36]
to me reloading 9mm and .223 (short range stuff) is not worth my time anymore. 
Link Posted: 8/22/2021 9:06:36 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By KerryW:
to me reloading 9mm and .223 (short range stuff) is not worth my time anymore. 
View Quote

I agree. Much easier to buy and store ammo than components and spending time. At the end of the day making $8 an hour to save $0.03/round isn’t worth it.
2017 prices. Damn.
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 11:23:46 AM EDT
[#38]
So did you ever buy a press?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top