Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/23/2017 10:11:07 PM EDT
I have shot USPSA part time for a few years in production or LTD minor. I now have a decent 40 LTD gun and I want to get more competitive. My hits are good and I am good at stage planning, but I am slower than most LTD shooters. I know some of it will come with more matches. However, can anyone suggest drills or other training that will help me with movement while maintaining good sight picture? I know a few good static drills and I regularly dry fire, but I need a drill with movement.

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 8:21:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Do you know exactly where you are "slow" compared to other shooters?  Is it movement between positions?  Target transitions?  Splits?
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 9:44:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: gotigers] [#2]
I think it is a combo of moving and trying to acquire the next target.
1. Where/when in the course of fire that I try to have sights on target. How far out from the next position.
2. Moving with the gun. I keep my gun up as much as possible. I feel that slows me down between positions that are further apart.
3. Once I get to an array of targets, I tend to overrun them at the 3rd or 4th target. Then I have to slow down or stop. This is because I am slower transitioning to the next target.

After reading what I just typed, I seems more like target acquisition. That is probably most of it. I probably also need some cross training like exercise for movement.

Once on target, splits aren't bad.

It might be I just need more matches and practice/training in match like conditions. Hence the drills.

It is hard to tell where most of the slowness is. Stages are over so fast. I need to start videoing some of my stages and analyze my movements.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 9:56:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Videoing your matches will definitely help you diagnose any deficiencies that you may have.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 10:17:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: glock_forty5] [#4]
Go take a class from a uspsa gm.   Steve Anderson is awesome.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 12:06:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JSG] [#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TennJeep1618:
Videoing your matches will definitely help you diagnose any deficiencies that you may have.
View Quote

1st person video (like with the camera on your hat) will show some things (transitions, reloads, etc) while an overall view of the you running the stage will show other things (movement in general, reloads, speed in and out of positions, etc). Sounds like you could learn things from both.

I suggest you just get a buddy to video with your phone for a start.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 6:48:01 PM EDT
[#6]
I feel like a broken record, but it doesn't stop being good advice:  Get the Ben Stoeger books (he has tons of movement + transition drills)

Video your stages

Watch video from pro shooters

Dry fire more
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 11:34:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Without seeing, the best guess is being ready to shoot when you hit the position and leaving as you break the last shot.

Coming in low and smooth helps with the first and shifting your weight in anticipation and falling out of the position helps the second.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 10:01:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By glock_forty5:
Go take a class from a uspsa gm.   Steve Anderson is awesome.
View Quote
I'm going to echo what glock_forty5 stated.  See if you can get a local "M" or "GM" to give you a private class.

Based on your second post, I know have a few drills but its very difficult to explain typing.  I'm just an "M" but I'm sure a local guy can help you out.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 1:12:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Second the Ben Stoeger books
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 7:21:31 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't have an IPSC match for a couple of weeks. I will do some dry fires every night. I have an El Prez simulation taped to my wall. LOL. I will also do some live fire drills at the range. My next match I will video it and analyze it.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 5:47:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Mark_Grey:
I'm going to echo what glock_forty5 stated.  See if you can get a local "M" or "GM" to give you a private class.

Based on your second post, I know have a few drills but its very difficult to explain typing.  I'm just an "M" but I'm sure a local guy can help you out.
View Quote

Just an M......

Dime a dozen those Masters are.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top