Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/18/2016 1:18:18 PM EDT
Ok, long story short, I've been tasked with setting up a fun shoot, USPSA/IDPA style..  This won't be until June 17', so I've got time..  

I work with a bunch of guys that are mostly "gun guys".  Some carry, some don't.  Everyone shoots, skill level varies all over the chart. I'm the only one that has shot competitively, on a very limited level.  I'm by no means a good shooter, but I have fun.  There will probably be 10-12 shooters.

Here's what I'm wanting to do:  Set up 1 stage, with probably 2-3 reloads, have the guys shoot it 3 times, throw out the lowest time, then average the 2 times for an overall.  NO ONE will have a belt set up or anything like that except me.  Most all will have an IWB holster.  Some probably won't even have that. 

I'm trying to figure out how to pull this off, while staying "loosely" within USPSA rules, hit factor, even playing field, etc.  But the more I think about it, the more complex and bigger the headache seems.  I've got a timer, but how would I score this thing?  Overall, no one would give a shit about hit factor, or really understand it, but I want to make it as fair as possible.  Hell, they'll just be happy to run the course and get to shoot.  Is there an app that I could download?  I've got the practiscore app, but honestly have never used it.  Seems a bit too in-depth for what I'm trying to accomplish.  Bottom line, it's all on my shoulders, so I want to make it as easy on myself as possible, but still have a good, fun stage that may give them a push to shoot an actual match.

Any hints, tricks, tips, suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 3:12:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Maybe use one setup, a belt with holster, gun and mags, that each person takes turns using?
That is the only way I see this being some what fair and even possible.
Let each person shoot one mag as part of a warmup before the actual competition.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 1:10:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Start at low ready.  There is a reason GSSF does it this way.

A bunch of noobs drawing from a holster for the first time is a bad idea.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 1:15:12 PM EDT
[#3]
So do time plus scoring, simplified.  

Anything on the target is +0

You get a bonus -.5 second for hits in the highest scoring area (A zone, if USPSA target)

two shots per target to neutralize

each miss is + 1 second penalty

Simple and easy to understand.

I like your idea about shooting 3 times and throwing out the highest time.  Don't average, just add the two lowest times and that's the score.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 1:44:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By wtturn:
Start at low ready.  There is a reason GSSF does it this way.

A bunch of noobs drawing from a holster for the first time is a bad idea.
View Quote

That's a great idea.  I was thinking last night about it, and was thinking of a sitting start with gun on the table.  I think low ready would probably be a safer bet.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 1:48:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By wtturn:
So do time plus scoring, simplified.  

Anything on the target is +0

You get a bonus -.5 second for hits in the highest scoring area (A zone, if USPSA target)

two shots per target to neutralize

each miss is + 1 second penalty

Simple and easy to understand.

I like your idea about shooting 3 times and throwing out the highest time.  Don't average, just add the two lowest times and that's the score.
View Quote
I like this as well.  It'll be USPSA targets.  Just wish i had some way to compensate for hit factor.  I think since I'll start them from low ready, I might just have everyone shoot a 9mm.

Appreciate the input!
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 6:05:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Skunkape71:

That's a great idea.  I was thinking last night about it, and was thinking of a sitting start with gun on the table.  I think low ready would probably be a safer bet.
View Quote

MUCH safer.  Table start would make me nervous.
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 8:08:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mark5pt56] [#7]
Make them holster neutral and the same gun for one stage, meaning if you had 7 stages, there would be 7 guns. Have the guns staged in a certain position and place (drawer, or unloaded, etc.) Design stages to accommodate various skills, a long range precision stage, a high round count(can't shoot accurate types but have a lot of rounds) Fun to hear the bitching Strong hand only, et. Screw the hit factor and power tards, do time plus.
So your time plus penalties. C are plus 1/2, D 1 and a miss 5 (seconds) decide what procedurals and hostages are, either 5 or 10--and for the IPSC purist--you have to explain it's not an IPSC match and constantly remind them. If you have movement, specify YOUR RULES to them.
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 7:29:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Well you DID say fun.... the funnest, run of the mill everyday, targets known to man is a bunch of cheap balloons. Instant gratification and instant cheers/jeers from the spectators.
Attach them with the small, cheap metal paper clips. Attached to a silhouette target, attached to a 2X4, attached to whatever you want.

Unless they were a bunch of dummies, I would make them draw from a holster, the holster they use. If they ARE dummies, then try to not get anybody hurt : )

Paper plates are a pretty decent target with the center over the "heart" area of a real human. Short wood blocks (cut from 2X4's or 2X4's/2X6's, etc) are fairly fun when you put them on whatever you got to put them on. Sorta a plate rack on uneven terrain. Reusable for quite a few hits and cheap.

A precision event with small frangible targets (ie vanilla wafers, chocolate chip cookies, whatever ya got) set up at whatever range they can be hit at, can be interesting. Set the range for the shooters involved even if it's really close in.

Anything that pops/disappears, crumbles upon being shot is more fun than scoring a cardboard target.
If you have the range for it, cut cardboard to fit in old tires. Roll them across the firing line from a safe spot and let them shoot moving targets.
"Charging" targets pulled from behind the shooter via rope, can be great fun.
My take, based on letting the kids have maximum fun while shooting.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 11:29:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Lots of great suggestions guys!  Didn't even think of frangible targets....  Everyone loves to shoot shit that breaks!

I have a shooting tree that will be incorporated, and steel plates on a chain that hang from a horizontal bar.  I'm trying to keep it fun, entertaining and competitive without the boredom of punching paper on all shots..

Great ideas!  Much appreciated!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top