Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/23/2016 3:23:26 PM EDT
ADHD version: Is there a home in USPSA for the 9mm 1911

Full question
I've competed on and off in USPSA for the last 20 years.  Early on I shot limited and open class.  More recently (last 6 or 7 years) I've been shooting production division with an M&P Pro 9mm.  Recently, I've been bitten by the 9mm 1911 bug and would like to purchase a Colt Competition Pistol in 9mm and use it in USPSA.  The only place I see it fitting is in single stack shooting minor.  Are people doing this?  Is there another division I'm not thinking of?  

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 3:37:49 PM EDT
[#1]
You could do Lim10 minor but that would be stupid. Single stack minor lets you load 10 vs 8 for major so you actually gain something.

Think Leatham was shooting minor at one point but I'm out of the loop so I have no idea. I wanted to shoot my ria but the damn rail is too long for single stack so I'm SOL
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 3:42:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 3:57:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 8:45:15 PM EDT
[#4]
You get to shoot a 1911
Best trigger
Heavy
You get a better Production gun with the same scoring
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 7:25:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Thank you for all the replies.  I shot a USPSA match at our local club this last weekend and paid more attention to the single stack guys.  The top 2 finishers in the SS class were shooting minor.  I also noticed there were several limited minor shooters.  Looks like I'll be getting used to a new set of equipment over the winter
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 4:09:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd go with a .40 SS for the scoring alone.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 6:41:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Superluckycat:
I'd go with a .40 SS for the scoring alone.
View Quote

What scoring? Gives up diameter to 45 and can't hold 10 if you want to shoot minor.

While I don't think the diameter really matters much you aren't really gaining anything over 45 and many people have issues getting 40 to run. Only reason I would do it was if I wanted to stick to one caliber and load for everything
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 12:24:20 AM EDT
[#8]
I shoot Single Stack in major and minor. There are some matches that really play to minor. Arrays of 6 4 6 4  6 4 will let you eat major for lunch if you mind your alphas. A lot of our local matches turn out this way.

On the other hand, a match like the Western States Single Stack Championship a couple weeks ago was major friendly. Very few places to save a reload for the minor guys.

If you feel a minor gun calling you, jump on it.

And TGO will shoot minor based on the match.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 2:40:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:

What scoring?
View Quote

Major scoring... 40 is the minimum caliber.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 3:10:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ALASKANFIRE] [#10]
Originally Posted By Delta66:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Delta66:
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:

What scoring?

Just remember not to top off your mags as a lot of them hold 9 rounds.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top