Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2016 6:42:23 PM EDT
I want to start shooting IDPA and USPSA but I am not sure what class I would be able to shoot with each weapon.  Can someone help me out so I know what options I have for both IDPA and USPSA:

1   Glock 34
2   Glock 17
3   9mm Springfield Armory Range Officer
4   CZ SP01 Orange 9mm

None of them have had any mods done to them.  Are there suggested upgrades (other than fiber optic sights) you would recommend I do to these guns?

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 7:03:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2ANut] [#1]
I can speak for IDPA since I'm a safety officer, don't know enough on USPSA to comment there.

The Glock 34 and 17 will fit both SSP and ESP. The Springfield fits under ESP, if it was a .45 it would also fit CDP. I don't know much about CZ but I assume it would be ESP.

Here's a quick rundown of the common IDPA classes:

SSP or Stock Service Pistol: Most shooters fall into this category. It's designed for full-size duty pistols 9mm or greater, striker-fired or DA/SA. Division capacity is 10 rounds.
ESP or Enhanced Service Pistol: Same as SSP, but allows for single-action designs and I believe is a bit looser on what modifications can be done. Division capacity is 10 rounds. Any SSP firearm is legal for ESP. Non-.45 1911's fall into this category.
CCP or Concealed Carry Pistol: Designed for compact pistols such as the G26, G43, Ruger LC9, S&W Shield, etc. Division capacity is 8 rounds.
CDP or Custom Defensive Pistol: Essentially the 1911 division, but this division requires the pistol to be a .45. So .45 1911's, full-sized .45's, etc. Division capacity is 8 rounds I believe.

There is also a revolver division but hardly anyone around here shoots revolvers in IDPA for various reasons, and there is also BUG (back-up gun) but that category is not available except for dedicated BUG matches.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 7:08:10 PM EDT
[#2]
If my gun's magazines hold more than 10 rounds do I just download for these classes?  Are mods other than sights allowed?

(IDPA specific questions)
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 7:23:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes, if your gun holds more than division capacity you just download it.

SSP allows sights to be changed to another notch and post type, but slides may not be machined to accept different style sights. Grips can be changed to something similar as long as they do not weigh more than 2.00 oz more than the factory standard weight for that model. Recoil spring guide rods and springs can be replaced as long as they are made of material that is no heavier than stainless steel. Grip socks, grip tape, skate tape, etc can be used. Internal action work may be used to enhance trigger pull as long as safety is maintained, with no visible external modifications. Stippling and texturing on the frame is okay.

Here's a link to the rulebook. Section 08 goes over all the divisions along with allowed and disallowed modifications. This one is from 2013 but the relevant parts look identical to my 2016 booklet.

http://members.idpa.com/Content/Rules/g0hunysc.eoc.pdf
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 7:33:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By akconvert:
If my gun's magazines hold more than 10 rounds do I just download for these classes?  Are mods other than sights allowed?

(IDPA specific questions)
View Quote

For USPSA, 1, 2, and 4 are production class guns. Yeah you can use them in limited but you will be at a points disadvantage shooting minor. The range officer would be for single stack.

You can stipple  production plastic guns in USPSA or add grip tape, but consult the rule book as the are specific on where it is allowed, and removal of finger grooves is not allowed (that will put you in limited)

As far as production mods go, sights, barrels, grips (in case of the cz) and trigger mods are legal, as long as the trigger does not change the external appearance of the gun.  Base pads are cool too as long as they fit the box.

For SS, I believe anything goes except full length dust covers and cuts that go all the way through the slide.

Both SS and prod have similar requirements for your rig (mags and holster behind the hips, no magnets) but you can use a drop in production.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 4:10:00 PM EDT
[#5]

I want to start shooting IDPA and USPSA but I am not sure what class I would be able to shoot with each weapon.  Can someone help me out so I know what options I have for both IDPA and USPSA:

1   Glock 34 Production  

2   Glock 17 Less good Production

3   9mm Springfield Armory Range Officer Single Stack

4   CZ SP01 Orange 9mm More better Production

None of them have had any mods done to them.  Are there suggested upgrades (other than fiber optic sights) you would recommend I do to these guns?

Thanks

View Quote
Choose your ideal USPSA Division and shoot the 1911 or SP-01 Orange.  I don't shoot IDPA, so no comment there.

Link Posted: 10/11/2016 7:51:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Which one do you shoot the best?  That would be my choice.

Actually my choice would be the Orange.

I'd get used to it.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 8:22:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Division= How firearms are sorted for gun games.
Class=How well you shoot classifiers U,D,C,B,A.master, grandmaster.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 10:36:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JSG] [#8]
Originally Posted By 2ANut:
I can speak for IDPA since I'm a safety officer, don't know enough on USPSA to comment there.

The Glock 34 and 17 will fit both SSP and ESP. The Springfield fits under ESP, if it was a .45 it would also fit CDP. I don't know much about CZ but I assume it would be ESP.

Here's a quick rundown of the common IDPA classes:

SSP or Stock Service Pistol: Most shooters fall into this category. It's designed for full-size duty pistols 9mm or greater, striker-fired or DA/SA. Division capacity is 10 rounds.
ESP or Enhanced Service Pistol: Same as SSP, but allows for single-action designs and I believe is a bit looser on what modifications can be done. Division capacity is 10 rounds. Any SSP firearm is legal for ESP. Non-.45 1911's fall into this category.
CCP or Concealed Carry Pistol: Designed for compact pistols such as the G26, G43, Ruger LC9, S&W Shield, etc. Division capacity is 8 rounds.
CDP or Custom Defensive Pistol: Essentially the 1911 division, but this division requires the pistol to be a .45. So .45 1911's, full-sized .45's, etc. Division capacity is 8 rounds I believe.

There is also a revolver division but hardly anyone around here shoots revolvers in IDPA for various reasons, and there is also BUG (back-up gun) but that category is not available except for dedicated BUG matches.
View Quote

I am also an SO and the following is a slight derail... BUG is now an option in all matches.... end derail

The Orange fits no division in IDPA. It also is only an option for Limited/Limited 10 in USPSA due to being single action only.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 11:15:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sarge450] [#9]
Any of the four would work in uspsa, all production guns except for the Springfield. Which you could shoot single stack minor with. The CZ would be my choice, great pistol. I almost immediately went up a class when I got mine.

https://www.uspsa.org/uspsa-NROI-production-gunlist.php
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 11:33:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By SV650Squid:
Choose your ideal USPSA Division and shoot the 1911 or SP-01 Orange.  I don't shoot IDPA, so no comment there.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SV650Squid:

1   Glock 34 Production  
2   Glock 17 Less good Production
3   9mm Springfield Armory Range Officer Single Stack
4   CZ SP01 Orange 9mm More better Production

Thanks

This, and since you're new, definitely start out in Production until you get used to the Game and get an idea of where you want to go.

Example:  I started in USPSA running my CZ97B in Limited 10.  Moved to Limited using my SP01.  The important part here is they were box-stock guns, and my belt/holster/mag pouches were all normal stuff.  So, I was at a severe disadvantage, because Limited is really Open without Comps and Optics.  I made the leap a couple years ago to Open, with all the proper 'racing' gear, and I couldn't be happier.

But for you:  Start in Production, definitely.  A big advantage is you will learn how to work a course of fire and break it down and your reloads get a lot of practice since you're limited to 10 rounds.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top