Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/2/2016 12:25:10 PM EDT
I'm thinking of building up an Open class gun, and am wondering if a G17 or G34 would be better for 9mm major.  I assume the G34 would be preferred because the longer barrel would get a little more velocity and be easier to make major PF, but I don't know if there are any other considerations I should be thinking about.  I own both a G17 and a G34 which I could use, so initial cost of the gun isn't a consideration.

I've already been shooting Glocks for years, so I'm not really interested in changing to a different platform.
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 4:11:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Open Glocks are notoriously finicky and unreliable.  You'd be money ahead to buy/build one based on the 2011 or Czechmate platform.  

However, if you're undeterred, I'd go with the G17.  After you add the comp to a G34 that's going to be one unwieldy pig out front.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 8:05:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By wtturn:
Open Glocks are notoriously finicky and unreliable.  You'd be money ahead to buy/build one based on the 2011 or Czechmate platform.  

However, if you're undeterred, I'd go with the G17.  After you add the comp to a G34 that's going to be one unwieldy pig out front.  
View Quote

+1

and

+1

a good custom 2011 is the way to go in open division.
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 8:50:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Definitely a 17 of those two. As stated the 34 would be way too long.
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 5:58:59 PM EDT
[#4]
If you're looking at a Glock open gun because you're on a budget, look at SPS's 2011 clone open gun.

Link Posted: 9/4/2016 10:26:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By SV650Squid:
If you're looking at a Glock open gun because you're on a budget, look at SPS's 2011 clone open gun.

https://youtu.be/erMWbAKEGUw

View Quote

Looking at BUDs it looks like they are still $1800. That's still a bit more money than a comparable glock can be built I belive.
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 10:52:07 PM EDT
[#6]
We had maybe five to six shooters start with an Open glock and had to move to a 2011 in less than a year. I saw all the jams, malfunctions and problems first hand while ROing them. It is super frustrating to shoot a platform that doesn't work well with intermittent problems that are hard to troubleshoot.

Do yourself a favor and go with a 2011 or Tangfo/Witness Open. :)
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 5:22:41 PM EDT
[#7]
What about using a Glock 31 instead for the base platform?  At 1400fps with a 124gr bullet you are well into Major territory.. You would give up some ammo though over a 9mm case size.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 8:44:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Cornsweat:
What about using a Glock 31 instead for the base platform?  At 1400fps with a 124gr bullet you are well into Major territory.. You would give up some ammo though over a 9mm case size.
View Quote

You can't be competitive shooting 357sig the capacity loss it too great.
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 8:11:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dogtired] [#9]
Here is my recommendation.  Buy a used G22, Lone Wolf 40-9 conversion barrel, Lone Wolf conversion barrel 9mm comp.  My thought is the conversion barrel will offer you slightly more meat in the barrel for shooting 9mm major.   Now pick the optic mounting platform.  Tinker with the trigger.  Stipple to your hearts content if you got the gun cheap enough.
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 11:55:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Glocks are known for unsupported chambers. Whatever barrel you use it has to be a fully supported chamber. If there's any part of the casing that goes unsupported the case will rupture and that can severely damage the gun and be very dangerous to the shooter and others nearby.

Everyone wants to get out cheap but, in the long run a 2011, CZ or Tanfoglio will be about the same or cheaper. After f-ing around trying to get it to run and replacing broken parts almost everyone ditches the Glock for one of the above.

Welcome to Open. It's like Top Fuel. It's loud, fast, things can blow up if you push it too hard and it ain't cheap.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top