Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/9/2016 11:07:22 AM EDT
I shot my first match on Saturday. It was a blistering 25 degrees in western Wisconsin, with the wind of course. I used a Springfield XD 4" model with Dawson Precision sights and a homemade kydex holster that I finished the night before.  I carried my two spare mags in my coat pocket.  It was intimidating to walk in to the clubhouse and rub shoulders with everyone at first.  However, the other shooters were decent guys/gals and also very helpful.  The weather only brought out 13 shooters so they ran us in one squad.  It took FOREVER!

I saw a lot of holsters sticking out under concealment garments, so I'm guessing local matches don't abide by every rule.  The scoring was confusing at first but now I fully understand it.  Having to retain mags for "tactical reloads" seems like a stupid rule to me.  I enjoyed the shooting, minus the frozen hands.  Managed to finish second overall and in the SSP class. I will do it again but will make a point to have mag pouches.  Trying to retain magazines that are half full and not mix them with full ones was a real pain.  The first USPSA match up here is mid-April and I plan to try it too.  Thanks to everyone for all the threads with advice for newbies!
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 12:46:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Glad you had fun. 25 degrees guarantees no fun for me.

Get out there and shoot some more IDPA, USPSA, and steel when you get the opportunity. Even if you don't get serious about any of it, it is good fun and improves some of your skills.
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 1:01:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Where at in Wisconsin? I would like to try sometime as well, first timer here too.
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 4:40:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Where at in Wisconsin? I would like to try sometime as well, first timer here too.
View Quote

Visit http://wisconsinshooters.com/ sometime, they have almost every IDPA, USPSA, and mutligun club and match in the state on there. Massive time saver.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 8:02:50 PM EDT
[#4]
I did my first IDPA match today, different state though.  It turned out to be a classifier match.  It was a learning experience, that I will grow from, though I'm uncertain if I'll go again or not.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 11:07:08 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I did my first IDPA match today, different state though.  It turned out to be a classifier match.  It was a learning experience, that I will grow from, though I'm uncertain if I'll go again or not.
View Quote

why?
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 11:30:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Probably because it was a classifier, and classifiers are boring as crap.  I've been out to sea for 90 days and the first match back at my local club was a classifier.  I've got an itch to shoot, but I stayed home this weekend because I don't need a classifier and they're all business and little enjoyment.

My advise is to go to the next match, a normal match with the props and scenarios, THEN decide if it's for you.  You could also kick it up a notch by forsaking your score and treating the scenario like a training opportunity.  Take corners with more attention towards real tactics, use cover fully rather than the partial IDPA rules, make it a point to not "think through" a stage beforehand.  Push yourself and the gun handling/shooting that you probably never get to do on a square range.  

Link Posted: 3/13/2016 2:06:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Probably because it was a classifier, and classifiers are boring as crap.  I've been out to sea for 90 days and the first match back at my local club was a classifier.  I've got an itch to shoot, but I stayed home this weekend because I don't need a classifier and they're all business and little enjoyment.

My advise is to go to the next match, a normal match with the props and scenarios, THEN decide if it's for you.  You could also kick it up a notch by forsaking your score and treating the scenario like a training opportunity.  Take corners with more attention towards real tactics, use cover fully rather than the partial IDPA rules, make it a point to not "think through" a stage beforehand.  Push yourself and the gun handling/shooting that you probably never get to do on a square range.  

View Quote

The classifier may have been it.  It was ok, people were for the most part very nice and giving tips and encouragement, but didn't leave with that feeling of I can't wait to do this again.  I didn't get DQ'd, so that was good,   I'll get some practice in, as I know what I'm getting into the next time, and probably try it one more time.  If' I don't have the bug then, it's not for me.  I'll look at uspsa then most likely.  I may not be the gamer kind of guy.
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 10:23:54 PM EDT
[#8]
The classifier is both useless as a classifier and doesn't actually reflect a typical match. It's a set of standards stages. In a big match with 12-16 stages, there is typically only one standards stage.

Link Posted: 3/24/2016 9:00:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I shot my first match on Saturday. It was a blistering 25 degrees in western Wisconsin, with the wind of course. I used a Springfield XD 4" model with Dawson Precision sights and a homemade kydex holster that I finished the night before.  I carried my two spare mags in my coat pocket.  It was intimidating to walk in to the clubhouse and rub shoulders with everyone at first.  However, the other shooters were decent guys/gals and also very helpful.  The weather only brought out 13 shooters so they ran us in one squad.  It took FOREVER!

I saw a lot of holsters sticking out under concealment garments, so I'm guessing local matches don't abide by every rule.  The scoring was confusing at first but now I fully understand it.  Having to retain mags for "tactical reloads" seems like a stupid rule to me.  I enjoyed the shooting, minus the frozen hands.  Managed to finish second overall and in the SSP class. I will do it again but will make a point to have mag pouches.  Trying to retain magazines that are half full and not mix them with full ones was a real pain.  The first USPSA match up here is mid-April and I plan to try it too.  Thanks to everyone for all the threads with advice for newbies!
View Quote

Pretty sure a Springfield  xd should have you in esp. Not  Ssp.
Where are you located? Or how far drive is it to ripon? That's where I shoot lots of great people and they have either idpa or uspsa almost every weekend starting in April.
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 11:24:38 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Where are you located? Or how far drive is it to ripon? That's where I shoot lots of great people and they have either idpa or uspsa almost every weekend starting in April.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

XD has been SSP since ~2013. All striker fired guns can potentially be in SSP depending on the other factors.

Link Posted: 3/26/2016 12:03:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm in Onalaska.  The Holmen club has IDPA, USPSA, Steel Challenge,  a GSSF match, etc.  No need to go anywhere else.
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 12:38:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:I'm in Onalaska.  The Holmen club has IDPA, USPSA, Steel Challenge,  a GSSF match, etc.  No need to go anywhere else.
View Quote

Unless you want to, you know, compete against varied individuals on various ranges with varying MDs . Doesn't hurt to get experience from all over if you want to be baller across the board.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 11:14:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Unless you want to, you know, compete against varied individuals on various ranges with varying MDs . Doesn't hurt to get experience from all over if you want to be baller across the board.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:I'm in Onalaska.  The Holmen club has IDPA, USPSA, Steel Challenge,  a GSSF match, etc.  No need to go anywhere else.

Meh, I'm not planning to become a globe-trotting, sponsored shooter.  There are several USPSA GMs and Masters that shoot at my club.  I've seen Ben Stoeger out there in years past too.  I don't think the production competition could be better.  Maybe if I become really competitive I'll venture out.  But for now I'll enjoy the 15 minute drive to the range!
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 3:15:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Just wait until all of your "procedurals" start coming in.

I'm just starting in IDPA as well. Going to try out USPSA/3 gun as well as I feel like I'm more into run and gun.
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 10:31:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Today I shot my first IDPA match also.  I shot my Glock 19 in SSP.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 9:33:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

I try and tell any first time shooters at a classifier to come back for a regular match. I find the classifier to be a drawn out boring mess. When I was starting out one place ran the classifier with each stage in a different bay. I didn't even know it was a classifier until the end. Seemed faster to me.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 10:39:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Since my original post I've shot another IDPA match and two USPSA matches.  USPSA is going to get most of my time and money as I like shooting the courses in the order of my choice.  There are too many tactical timmies in the IDPA world and whether they like it or not, both are games. I think USPSA courses are more fun to shoot and the rules are easier to understand.  Just registered for the state section match and looking forward to seeing how I finish!
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 10:18:15 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Since my original post I've shot another IDPA match and two USPSA matches.  USPSA is going to get most of my time and money as I like shooting the courses in the order of my choice.  There are too many tactical timmies in the IDPA world and whether they like it or not, both are games. I think USPSA courses are more fun to shoot and the rules are easier to understand.  Just registered for the state section match and looking forward to seeing how I finish!
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/14/2016 11:08:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not only are the rules more competitive and measurable, you'll get both a deeper pool of talent to compete against and as a funny twist of fate there's plenty of timmies that also happen to be great shooters there, since it tests more appropriate fundamental skills if you really want to become a true pistolero.

Not trying to knock on IDPA (I do that in person instead), but USPSA is awesome. With the right club and a desire to improve you won't be disappointed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top