Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/29/2016 1:59:45 AM EDT
I'm looking to eventually get into the competition arena here locally. It seems to me that the guns I listed were among the most popular in the production class.  I want to get a pistol Around the 800 dollar limit. I'm not looking to drop a significant amount because I am new and just want to have something that will do a good job at serving its purpose until I am in the game for a while and decide to get something a little more tuned. I was wondering what your guys' thoughts were on this ?

-Nick
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 4:16:36 AM EDT
[#1]
What do you own currently?
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 4:58:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Currently I have an M&p full size.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 9:24:51 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Currently I have an M&p full size.
View Quote

Then go with the M&P Pro if the M&P series has worked for you.  Alternatively, if you're saving money you could just shoot the fullsize for a while.

Any three of the guns you listed will win matches and make GM.

Link Posted: 1/29/2016 4:07:30 PM EDT
[#4]
That's kind of what I've been leaning towards. Although I have no experience with a CZ it does look like a nice shooter. I really won't know until I hold one which hopefully I can do sometime this weekend.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 4:29:26 PM EDT
[#5]
You dont say if you own any pistols now with at least three mags.

If you do the first few matches that's really all you need. Look around and speak to the club members.
It gives you a lot of insight and time to try out pistol systems , club members are normally a helpful bunch.
They let you finger their stuff and maybe even throw a good deal your way.

I shot my 8rd carry gun for a few seasons before I invested in a new gun. My preference of pistol maker change completely.

Good luck

Edit

I took too long in my reply I see you have an mp so shoot that
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 12:40:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the response! I hear people are generally pretty nice I need to get down there when they have a get together. Well my gun will be selling tomorrow that's why I am in need of a good replacement that is competition geared.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 4:48:06 PM EDT
[#7]
What competition are you looking at? IDPA? USPSA? Steel? 3gun?

Any of those three will get you there with practice.
I have competed with the M&P 5" and 4", as well as a CZ75 and 75 compact. All of those need a little trigger work and possibly the sights upgraded but that is about all any would need.
I will say both CZ were more accurate than any of my 3 M&P examples.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 4:52:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Im going to be starting out doing speed steel and then make my way to idpa and uspsa once I've had some practice. If I can find a CZ for a decent price I will pick one up. If I don't like it I can always sell it.

Quoted:
What competition are you looking at? IDPA? USPSA? Steel? 3gun?

Any of those three will get you there with practice.
I have competed with the M&P 5" and 4", as well as a CZ75 and 75 compact. All of those need a little trigger work and possibly the sights upgraded but that is about all any would need.
I will say both CZ were more accurate than any of my 3 M&P examples.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/6/2016 9:31:58 AM EDT
[#9]
I have the M&P 5" pro and Glock 34.   I haven't ever shot a CZ or even handled one so I will not comment on that.

Out of the box the M&P Pro has a better trigger and sights.  

I paid $540 for the Glock 34 with grey frame gen 4  3 mags  (bought extra magpul mags at $15/each)
I paid $525 for the S&W M&P Pro 5"   2 mags  (extra mags were like $29 each)

I have only shot a few IDPA matches and I started with a Ed Brown special forces since it was what I had and carried.   I moved to the Glock and started doing way better.   I have not had a chance to shoot the M&P yet since my holster has not shipped.   I am waiting on this to decide which one to use and which to sell for more ammo.  

If I keep the Glock it will need some trigger love and possibly sights.

Honestly my IDPA shooting is like watching someone pistol whipping a blind kid.    I thought I was decent with a handgun but when adding moving and other fun stuff it gets pretty ugly.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 9:43:32 AM EDT
[#10]
There will always be the latest and greatest  production pistol.I have been shooting uspsa since 07, and I have seen it go from a glock 34, to a m&p pro, to a sa 5.25, to a cz shadow,  and now, I think the hot new blaster is the tanfoglio stock 2.Meanwhile, you have guys like vogel, that win championships with the glock 34.I  have owned and tried all of the be all ,end all pistols,  but none will replace a shit ton of dry fire and live fire practice.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 11:47:34 AM EDT
[#11]
By a Shadow and be done. Buy once, cry once. Yes, it's $880.

But I own a G34 which is now non-production class legal, I competed with a 5" M&P Pro w/ Apex kit, and then moved on to an SP-01 (non-shadow). Guess what? I just spent even more money and picked up an accushadow from a member here.

That said, the base model shadow will have a decent trigger, sights, no firing pin block etc. My M&P was a fine performer (with an Apex kit, a Wilson bbl for 147gr. loads, etc) but by the time I was done, I had quite a bit of money wrapped up into it. And when you really want to, you can have it turned into an accushadow, or have trigger work done, etc. The CZ will also have better resale.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 2:47:51 PM EDT
[#12]
You will get lots of differing opinions for sure!  I started years ago with a 1911, then an XD9 Service, CZ 75B, Beretta M9A1, SA XDm 5.25, and an M&P Pro.  The last two were my son's pistols, although I did try them out.  Latest is a Glock 34.  Keeping with the Production theme, for me it is a toss up between the CZ and the Glock. The M&P just does not fit me, and neither does the XDm.  I see you already are selling your current gun, and I would have said the same in that go use it for now.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 3:14:08 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

By a Shadow and be done. Buy once, cry once. Yes, it's $880.

But I own a G34 which is now non-production class legal, I competed with a 5" M&P Pro w/ Apex kit, and then moved on to an SP-01 (non-shadow). Guess what? I just spent even more money and picked up an accushadow from a member here.

That said, the base model shadow will have a decent trigger, sights, no firing pin block etc. My M&P was a fine performer (with an Apex kit, a Wilson bbl for 147gr. loads, etc) but by the time I was done, I had quite a bit of money wrapped up into it. And when you really want to, you can have it turned into an accushadow, or have trigger work done, etc. The CZ will also have better resale.

View Quote

Just FYI adding the accu bushing after the fact is not production legal.
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 11:43:56 PM EDT
[#14]

I used an M&P9 Pro to make MA in SSP.

I then used a G34 Gen4 to "doll up" to shoot ESP.  Made MA with that a couple months later.

I have a CZ75 (non-SP01) Shadow done up by CZC.  It's hands down a better feeling/shooting pistol than either the 9Pro or G34.

That being said, none of those guns will slow you down to the MA level. It's the Indian.. the arrows are all close enough...

If you have the M&P and it's accurate, shoot that. I did like the feel of the M&P more than the G34 in my hands.. I used the large grip and had it all Apexed out. Shoots great.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top