Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/28/2015 11:02:43 AM EDT
Currently averaging about 10% of my total time in target points down/hit non threats.  Is there a sweet spot in the balance of accuracy/speed for this percentage?  Local match overall winners usually have a time that is about 65% of my time.  I think at this point my movement and transitions from targets are costing the most time.
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 3:23:58 PM EDT
[#1]
And today they announce that each target point down will become a one second penalty.  Looks like my scores just went out the door.
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 4:08:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I am no one to say anything - from my experience from shooting competitive sporting clays.....

believe that is transitions from basic mechanics and equipment to being more mental.  I will never forget my sporting clays coach suggesting a book on golf by Dr. Rotello - "Golf - it is not a game of perfect" and I  am currently reading Practical Shooting beyond fundamentals by Brian Enos.

have fun and never stop striving to improve.

Red

Link Posted: 9/29/2015 9:17:34 PM EDT
[#3]
just work on getting good hits, and doing everything smooth.  forget "trying" to go fast.

your sight picture is your speed limit.

if you're rushing shots, slow down.

have the visual patience to get that acceptable sight picture and get good hits.

Go home, clear your weapon, remove all ammo from the room., ensure it's empty again.

put on your holster gear.

practice draws

practice reloads

practice dry firing.

watch every move you are making, and eliminate every extra unnecessary movement.

economy of movement is what makes you faster.

practice draws

practice reloads

practice dry firing.

do it until you are sick of it....then do it 1000 more times.

try to squad up with shooters who are better than you.

ask questions.

avoid the negative guys.

if you do these things, you name will start moving up the scoresheet.  

....but it takes work.

after a while, if you start to plateau,  save up, and sign up for a class from somebody who knows, like, Todd Jarrett
etc.

Link Posted: 9/30/2015 8:01:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the responses.  I have a dry practice routine and reload drills that I have started this week.  I'm just going to lower my shoulder and press on.  Thanks
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 12:36:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Transitions between targets and speed into and out of a position are where the improvements yield major payback. Since you seem to be reasonably accurate, I would put my time and effort into transitions and movement.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 10:30:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Transitions between targets and speed into and out of a position are where the improvements yield major payback. Since you seem to be reasonably accurate, I would put my time and effort into transitions and movement.
View Quote

Nailed it.

Besides seeing your sight go up and down, learning feet/hip/body placement is key to aggressively getting in and out of positions.

Shooters can cut A LOT of time just by practicing entries and exits.

For example, on the exits, shoot the target that allows you start leaving the port, last. So if I'm entering a port, I typically shoot the more "awkward" targets first. Then the less awkward targets while moving towards my second position. without breaking the 180 of course.
Link Posted: 12/13/2015 6:15:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
just work on getting good hits, and doing everything smooth.  forget "trying" to go fast.

your sight picture is your speed limit.

if you're rushing shots, slow down.

have the visual patience to get that acceptable sight picture and get good hits.

Go home, clear your weapon, remove all ammo from the room., ensure it's empty again.

put on your holster gear.

practice draws

practice reloads

practice dry firing.

watch every move you are making, and eliminate every extra unnecessary movement.

economy of movement is what makes you faster.

practice draws

practice reloads

practice dry firing.

do it until you are sick of it....then do it 1000 more times.

try to squad up with shooters who are better than you.

ask questions.

avoid the negative guys.

if you do these things, you name will start moving up the scoresheet.  

....but it takes work.

after a while, if you start to plateau,  save up, and sign up for a class from somebody who knows, like, Todd Jarrett
etc.

View Quote

I call drawing, reloads, and dry fire "mechanics" working on your mechanics is cheap and can be done at home 7 days a week if you want to. Getting those things committed to muscle memory pays big dividends. I also cut electrical tape into little pieces and stick about 5 or 6 on the garage door. I get back about 10 feet or so and practice squeezing on each one and work on lining them up as quick as I can. Then when I get in front of really targets they look enormous and unmissable.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top