Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/21/2015 9:43:33 AM EDT
I shoot a fair amount. At least once a week and have for the last nine years. I am really into revolvers now (I actually own more of them than semi autos now) and have been wringing out the bugs in my USPSA rig and doing dry fire practice. I noticed something simple but seemingly fundamental during my first lengthy practice last night. After 48-56 dry fires (which is about the end of my ammo supply that I can carry on me) my trigger speed slows WAY down. I am used to shooting double action revolvers just not 48 times as fast as I can reload. Is this normal for you revolver competitors or do you guys have some work out routine you do all day every day while at work with a grip strengthening device to get your trigger finger stronger? I have a wolff competition spring set in the gun and while it makes the trigger really nice its still fatiguing to pull that many times that quickly.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 11:23:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I shoot a fair amount. At least once a week and have for the last nine years. I am really into revolvers now (I actually own more of them than semi autos now) and have been wringing out the bugs in my USPSA rig and doing dry fire practice. I noticed something simple but seemingly fundamental during my first lengthy practice last night. After 48-56 dry fires (which is about the end of my ammo supply that I can carry on me) my trigger speed slows WAY down. I am used to shooting double action revolvers just not 48 times as fast as I can reload. Is this normal for you revolver competitors or do you guys have some work out routine you do all day every day while at work with a grip strengthening device to get your trigger finger stronger? I have a wolff competition spring set in the gun and while it makes the trigger really nice its still fatiguing to pull that many times that quickly.
View Quote

Just keep doing that dry fire practice and soon you will build up you finger strength and you will not be fatigued as quickly.  Also remember in an actual stage you wont be shooting that fast for the whole stage.  With movement and longer shots mixed in you will have short breaks and times when you are shooting slower for accuracy.  Those will all help keep you from getting fatigued by the end of the stage.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 1:09:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Just keep doing that dry fire practice and soon you will build up you finger strength and you will not be fatigued as quickly.  Also remember in an actual stage you wont be shooting that fast for the whole stage.  With movement and longer shots mixed in you will have short breaks and times when you are shooting slower for accuracy.  Those will all help keep you from getting fatigued by the end of the stage.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you for the advice.

Is there a worthwhile device or tool I can put in my pocket and have with me at work so I can use it while walking around working? I know about the grip strengthener things with springs in them but I don't know if the tension is enough to get what I want out of them
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 1:45:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 12:16:24 AM EDT
[#4]
View Quote

I see they have a starter set that begins at 140lb. I imagine that if I could master #2 I would probably be good to go. I wonder what jerry miculek uses for grip strength training.

Link Posted: 8/22/2015 12:15:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I imagine Jerry has grip strength from 40 years worth of shooting.

Bob Vogel uses CoC.

I can close the #2 and everyone always comments on my handshake, lol.

This offseason/winter I'm going to train grip hard and try to close the #3.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 1:16:50 PM EDT
[#6]
somebody told me years ago, that Jerry M used to drive a truck, and had a S&W frame ( no barrel or cylinder) with a 20+lbs spring, and he'd dry fire it all day while driving

clickclickclickclick clickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclick

Link Posted: 8/24/2015 7:20:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well I went out and shot 250 rounds through the gun today over a few hours. I also put 75 rounds through my s&w 29. Out of the 325 rounds I shot all but maybe 25 were double action. All in all I didn't have the issues I thought I would. In the 627 I would shoot up to four, eight shot clips through it one after another at my steel plate.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top