Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/14/2015 10:49:06 PM EDT
I am looking at getting involved, but from what I've read my son (16) can't compete in USPSA, but he will be able to in IDPA as long as a parent/guardian is with him. What's the differences? Thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 12:01:36 AM EDT
[#1]
There is not a minimum age rule in USPSA. I have RO'ed many Junior shooters that were younger than 16.

Do what ever sport is most convenient for you and him. Many people are limited to what sport is available at local ranges. I would recommend USPSA for the freestyle nature of it.
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 1:39:30 AM EDT
[#2]
I much prefer IDPA.

First, it's meant to be practical as in actually practical using "normal" holsters, stock guns, etc.  When I started out I had a regular Galco holster and carried my mags in my pocket.

The rules are simple enough that you really don't even need to read the rules prior to a "match"; while it depends on how they run things locally, it is typically much less formal than other formats.

I like the fact that in most cases the scenarios are fairly real-world:  you're putting gas in your truck when you are approached by 3 bad guys; you open your mail box and 3 guys come out from around your garage; you walk in your front door to find 4 guys in your living room, etc.

Since, at least where I shoot, no one is a world-class competitor, things are pretty fun.  In fact, we let visiting USPSA & IPSC guys carry non-colcealed and shoot their race guns with their appendix carry holsters, etc.  I doubt the converse would be true.
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 8:27:14 AM EDT
[#3]
I shoot both and enjoy both. I use the same handgun for both as well, except for the IDPA BUG matches.  Have him shoot IDPA until he's old enough to shoot USPSA matches.  By then, he'll have experience and it will be an easy transition into USPSA matches.

Link Posted: 8/15/2015 8:47:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Shoot both. Both are fun and present their own challenges.  Though I strongly prefer uspsa.

Most start in production (uspsa) and or ssp (idpa).  If you don't have a production/ssp legal gun you'll need to read up on the equipment rules and see what division you'd need to get setup for. For example, If you're shooting a 1911, you'll be in single stack/cdp.

In most cases the same gun can be used for both.  For idpa you will need the concealment garment, holster, and two mag pouches. The holster cannot have a drop/offset.  I'd recommend something like the wilderness tactical as the belt for idpa.  Comp tac holster and single mag pouches with blade tech belt clip....the dual paddle mag pouches hold the mags a little too close to the body for my liking.

For uspsa, you lose the concealment garment, but will need four mag pouches as uspsa matches tend to have longer stages, and a total of five mags. Drop offsets are allowed, but I'd strongly recommend a two piece competition style belt (I.e DAA, CR speed).

Link Posted: 8/15/2015 10:20:03 AM EDT
[#5]
USPSA is vastly superior, IMO.

Higher round counts, more trigger time, freestyle stages, better test of skill.

Link Posted: 8/15/2015 11:01:00 AM EDT
[#6]
I'd be shooting either my G21 or G41; both are stock. It seems like I read somewhere that the IDPA limit in the mags is 10...is this correct? I am looking at a local range that shoots both on alternate weekends. The USPSA page is full of info, but is confusing at times for my simple mind . I like the idea of the practical side of the IDPA, since I would like real world scenarios. I appreciate the help and input guys!
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 11:36:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd be shooting either my G21 or G41; both are stock. It seems like I read somewhere that the IDPA limit in the mags is 10...is this correct? I am looking at a local range that shoots both on alternate weekends. The USPSA page is full of info, but is confusing at times for my simple mind . I like the idea of the practical side of the IDPA, since I would like real world scenarios. I appreciate the help and input guys!
View Quote

I've shot both and prefer USPSA.

Too many Tactical Teds in IDPA who enforce silly rules in arbitrary ways.

Plus, most real world scenarios are boring.  One or two targets under 7 yds?  Yawn.

Give me plate racks at 50 yds, Texas stars, swingers, clamshells.  Let me clear a submarine (like an Area 1 stage from a few years ago) or hose down a squad of bad guys.

Link Posted: 8/15/2015 11:47:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Get both. And I've seen kids participate in both.

IDPA is a little more "practical" and most shooters I've seen just use their every-day carry setup. USPSA, while having "practical" in the name, is anything but. Lots of USPSA shooters have crazy holsters with expensive rimfire pistols with optics and giant compensators and huge magazines. Not saying either one is right or wrong, it's just a difference I've noticed.

Yes IDPA limits you to 10 rounds per magazine, for the SSP (stock service pistol) division. There is also a CCP (concealed carry pistol) and CDP (custom defensive pistol, or 1911) and division capacity for those is 8.
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 12:19:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Get both. And I've seen kids participate in both.

IDPA is a little more "practical" and most shooters I've seen just use their every-day carry setup. USPSA, while having "practical" in the name, is anything but. Lots of USPSA shooters have crazy holsters with expensive rimfire pistols with optics and giant compensators and huge magazines. Not saying either one is right or wrong, it's just a difference I've noticed.

Yes IDPA limits you to 10 rounds per magazine, for the SSP (stock service pistol) division. There is also a CCP (concealed carry pistol) and CDP (custom defensive pistol, or 1911) and division capacity for those is 8.
View Quote

What division would I shoot in USPSA with my stock setup as mentioned earlier? I'm just a normal guy with a normal gun, and don't have time/money for setting up a Cadillac in my holster. I can appreciate the fine shooters and admire their discipline in the sport, but I just can't go beyond bone stock.
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 9:09:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Production division is where you should start.

Start with what you have, go shoot a couple of matches.  The shooters are generally very welcoming and willing to help you out, especially if you help with setting up or tearing down stages.
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 9:19:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Production division is the "standard" division.
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 10:14:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 1:25:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Lots of USPSA shooters have crazy holsters with expensive rimfire pistols with optics and giant compensators and huge magazines.
View Quote

There is no rimfire pistols in USPSA.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 1:04:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Try both.

Let the Range officers know that it's your first match.  ( they will help you along )

show up, sign up, go the the "safe area" and put on your rig.

keep you pistol UNLOADED until the RO directs you to.

Keep your pistol in the holster until you're shooting the stage ( don't pull it out and mess with it while waiting to shoot )

Keep your trigger finger out of the trigger guard until your sights are downrage

keep your weapon pointed down range, don't sweep the RO, or crowd, and don't drop your weapon.

if your pistol jams during a stage, keep it pointed downrage, and clear the malfunction efficiently and get back to shooting.

Have a shitload of mags, and don't be caught with unloaded mags when it's your turn to shoot.

help out as much as you can....but don't run up and paste targets before the score them

get a SOLID belt, and holster, nothing cheap and floppy.

IDPA  = two mag pouches
USPSA = as many as you think you need plus a few more

both sports are about quickly getting good hits on the target safely

I like USPSA a lot more, but that's were I started.

Link Posted: 8/16/2015 3:26:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for all the advice guys! I'll be visiting some of the local shoots and hopefully start shooting in some matches. I appreciate all the guidance.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 4:02:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Thanks for all the advice guys! I'll be visiting some of the local shoots and hopefully start shooting in some matches. I appreciate all the guidance.
View Quote

go check it out

....you'll have a lot of fun

Link Posted: 8/16/2015 9:24:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Try both.

Let the Range officers know that it's your first match.  ( they will help you along )

show up, sign up, go the the "safe area" and put on your rig.

keep you pistol UNLOADED until the RO directs you to.

Keep your pistol in the holster until you're shooting the stage ( don't pull it out and mess with it while waiting to shoot )

Keep your trigger finger out of the trigger guard until your sights are downrage

keep your weapon pointed down range, don't sweep the RO, or crowd, and don't drop your weapon.

if your pistol jams during a stage, keep it pointed downrage, and clear the malfunction efficiently and get back to shooting.

Have a shitload of mags, and don't be caught with unloaded mags when it's your turn to shoot.

help out as much as you can....but don't run up and paste targets before the score them

get a SOLID belt, and holster, nothing cheap and floppy.

IDPA  = two mag pouches
USPSA = as many as you think you need plus a few more

both sports are about quickly getting good hits on the target safely

I like USPSA a lot more, but that's were I started.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/derek45/media/2007AREA3/IMGP3693.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/derek45/2007AREA3/IMGP3693.jpg</a>

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/derek45/media/IPSC%203-GUN/3-gun/IMGP1972.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/derek45/IPSC%203-GUN/3-gun/IMGP1972.jpg</a>

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/derek45/media/IPSC%203-GUN/3-gun/IMGP1930.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/derek45/IPSC%203-GUN/3-gun/IMGP1930.jpg</a>

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/derek45/media/ARPC%20IPSC/IPSC-ARPC/IMGP2644.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/derek45/ARPC%20IPSC/IPSC-ARPC/IMGP2644.jpg</a>

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/derek45/media/2007AREA3/IMGP3690.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/derek45/2007AREA3/IMGP3690.jpg</a>

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/derek45/media/2007AREA3/IMGP3725.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/derek45/2007AREA3/IMGP3725.jpg</a>

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/derek45/media/ARPC%20IPSC/IPSC-ARPC/IMGP2698.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/derek45/ARPC%20IPSC/IPSC-ARPC/IMGP2698.jpg</a>
View Quote

Looks like a great time!
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 12:00:49 PM EDT
[#18]
When I first got into it, I tried both. Here were my experiences and yours and your son's may differ:

IDPA:
- Good People
- Don't kid yourself: Guys aren't running their carry gear
- Lots of vests w/ starched pockets, etc.
- LOTS of rules (different reload types, can only reload here or there, slice the pie, tactical order, etc).
- I got bogged down in the rules and didn't have much fun
- After learning curve, would be fine, but much longer learning period.
- Everyone shoots everything the same way

USPSA:
- Good, outgoing people: Less computer commandos and more 'normal' guys
- Gear is pretty simple for production
- Basic safety/learning curve was short
- More run and gun
- Shoot it however you want, make a plan, and go.
- Easy to get discouraged shooting next to Open class guys

Obviously for me, the choice was easy [USPSA], but I believe a lot of it is going to have to do with your local group as to which is more inviting/match scheduling, etc. Especially if you or your son want to transition to 3-gun, I would encourage you to go the USPSA route. Again, my findings are my own and they're just generalizations. A fledgling USPSA group by me offered a beginner's class and that's what finally got me to break the ice, try it, and I was hooked.

Link Posted: 8/17/2015 12:06:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
When I first got into it, I tried both. Here were my experiences and yours and your son's may differ:

IDPA:
- Good People
- Don't kid yourself: Guys aren't running their carry gear
- Lots of vests w/ starched pockets, etc.
- LOTS of rules (different reload types, can only reload here or there, slice the pie, tactical order, etc).
- I got bogged down in the rules and didn't have much fun
- After learning curve, would be fine, but much longer learning period.
- Everyone shoots everything the same way

USPSA:
- Good, outgoing people: Less computer commandos and more 'normal' guys
- Gear is pretty simple for production
- Basic safety/learning curve was short
- More run and gun
- Shoot it however you want, make a plan, and go.
- Easy to get discouraged shooting next to Open class guys

Obviously for me, the choice was easy [USPSA], but I believe a lot of it is going to have to do with your local group as to which is more inviting/match scheduling, etc. Especially if you or your son want to transition to 3-gun, I would encourage you to go the USPSA route. Again, my findings are my own and they're just generalizations. A fledgling USPSA group by me offered a beginner's class and that's what finally got me to break the ice, try it, and I was hooked.

View Quote

Sam, I appreciate your feedback. I could see where IDPA can easily be as you described. Do you think that the constriction on how things are done is due to a more military style tactic approach? I see now what everyone is saying about USPSA being more freestyle. It did not occur to me that the reason for this was target order. Thanks for the reply!
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 12:15:56 PM EDT
[#20]
IDPA-
 stsrt here behind cover,...shoot these two targets..preform a reload with retention
leave cover and move here, drop behind cover, if ur knee is here, I'll give you a procedural
shoot these two targets

USPSA/IPSC-
" starting position is here, engage targets as they become visible "

that's part of the fun and challenge of USPSA
...trying to figure out the best way thru a stage

Link Posted: 8/17/2015 1:30:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
IDPA-
 stsrt here behind cover,...shoot these two targets..preform a reload with retention
leave cover and move here, drop behind cover, if ur knee is here, I'll give you a procedural
shoot these two targets

USPSA/IPSC-

View Quote

Derek, thanks for all your input, I REALLY appreciate all you guys taking time to respond. While both groups have their purposes, it seems that IDPA is much more rigid in how they operate the stages. Do you think this may be in them trying to replicate real shooting situations? I can understand the theory, and see some value in the situation they may be trying to create, but in a real shooting instance, it seems like it wouldn't be much help other than having gone through and dealt with the scenario during the stage. I am speaking form pure ignorance here (so forgive me! ) but the most benefit would be training to put the most lead in your target in the least amount of time while being completely aware of your surroundings (as best as you can be). I may be wrong, but just my thinking.

You guys have been awesome in your help!
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 5:12:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 6:58:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

That's what they say... and that's what people that prefer IDPA say...  but personally, I think that part of it is bullshit.

How many "real shooting situations" have you heard of that involve anything you've seen in an IDPA video?   My guess is none.   How many people in the match are really using what they actually carry, in the manner they actually carry it?  My guess is very few.  USPSA is a game with people that know it's a game, IDPA is a game that some people think is training.  

I'm not one to blanket hate on IDPA, I think anything that puts people under time pressure to shoot and manipulate their gun is a good thing, I just think it's funny how often the "realism" of IDPA is brought up, when it's really more fantasy than anything.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
IDPA-
shoot these two targets

USPSA/IPSC-

Derek, thanks for all your input, I REALLY appreciate all you guys taking time to respond. While both groups have their purposes, it seems that IDPA is much more rigid in how they operate the stages. Do you think this may be in them trying to replicate real shooting situations? I can understand the theory, and see some value in the situation they may be trying to create, but in a real shooting instance, it seems like it wouldn't be much help other than having gone through and dealt with the scenario during the stage. I am speaking form pure ignorance here (so forgive me! ) but the most benefit would be training to put the most lead in your target in the least amount of time while being completely aware of your surroundings (as best as you can be). I may be wrong, but just my thinking.

You guys have been awesome in your help!

That's what they say... and that's what people that prefer IDPA say...  but personally, I think that part of it is bullshit.

How many "real shooting situations" have you heard of that involve anything you've seen in an IDPA video?   My guess is none.   How many people in the match are really using what they actually carry, in the manner they actually carry it?  My guess is very few.  USPSA is a game with people that know it's a game, IDPA is a game that some people think is training.  

I'm not one to blanket hate on IDPA, I think anything that puts people under time pressure to shoot and manipulate their gun is a good thing, I just think it's funny how often the "realism" of IDPA is brought up, when it's really more fantasy than anything.

Totally understand. I imagine it can turn into RPG of armed D&D with some folks . Shooting to me has always been a high drive sport. Any way I can improve is always a positive in my book, like you say.

On a side not AJE, what kind of advice can you give me to make some general improvements on my G21 & 41?
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 8:07:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
On a side not AJE, what kind of advice can you give me to make some general improvements on my G21 & 41?
View Quote

guessing you meant note ?  LOL

I'd hold off on any mods until you've shot a few matches, and determined which sport and division you want to shoot.

buy bullets, mags, bullets, and bullets.

...pretty much everyone I know who plays gunsgames ends up with a (DILLON) progressive machine.

OP,  are you a handloader ?
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 8:29:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I'd hold off on any mods until you've shot a few matches, and determined which sport and division you want to shoot.

...pretty much everyone I know who plays gunsgames ends up with a (DILLON) progressive machine.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ugh! Yes sir, I did mean "note". Guess my eyes are getting older. On the mods, I didn't know if there were any simple things that would improve everyday handling/shooting. Nothing like the Cadillacs I see the professional guys with.

I want to start handloading. The cheapest ammo I've seen has been $.28 a round for 230gr fmj. Honestly, I have no clue how to start or what to look for. We only shoot a few calibers: .22lr, .45acp, .223/5.56, & .308/7.62 nato. Any reloaders that would handle those (with exception to .22 of course)?
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 11:08:45 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I much prefer IDPA.

First, it's meant to be practical as in actually practical using "normal" holsters, stock guns, etc.  When I started out I had a regular Galco holster and carried my mags in my pocket.

The rules are simple enough that you really don't even need to read the rules prior to a "match"; while it depends on how they run things locally, it is typically much less formal than other formats.

I like the fact that in most cases the scenarios are fairly real-world:  you're putting gas in your truck when you are approached by 3 bad guys; you open your mail box and 3 guys come out from around your garage; you walk in your front door to find 4 guys in your living room, etc.

Since, at least where I shoot, no one is a world-class competitor, things are pretty fun.  In fact, we let visiting USPSA & IPSC guys carry non-colcealed and shoot their race guns with their appendix carry holsters, etc.  I doubt the converse would be true.
View Quote
Dude at the USPSA club I shoot at shoots with his compact 1911 occasionally in single stack with his whole carry rig plus some extra mags because our stages are longer than 18 rounds.

It's freestyle, and if you want to "tactical" it up your scores will suffer accordingly.  You put in what you want to get out of it.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 11:17:24 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Ugh! Yes sir, I did mean "note". Guess my eyes are getting older. On the mods, I didn't know if there were any simple things that would improve everyday handling/shooting. Nothing like the Cadillacs I see the professional guys with.

I want to start handloading. The cheapest ammo I've seen has been $.28 a round for 230gr fmj. Honestly, I have no clue how to start or what to look for. We only shoot a few calibers: .22lr, .45acp, .223/5.56, & .308/7.62 nato. Any reloaders that would handle those (with exception to .22 of course)?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Go over to the reloading forum in the Armory tab, read all the FAQ's, buy "The ABC's of Reloading," and ask a bunch of questions.

For pistol, I prefer a progressive, but I started on a single stage for rifle.  The issue with a progressive is there's going to be 5 things going on every time you pull the handle, and you have to be in control of/on top of all 5 of those things constantly.  If you're mechanically inclined and can educate yourself/have a mentor, starting on a progressive isn't impossible.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 11:10:56 AM EDT
[#28]
10-4. I will be heading over there and checking it out. Thanks for the direction!
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 2:31:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Try each and make up your own mind.  I prefer USPSA but have shot both.  After my first IDPA match, we ran five stages and I had only expended the rounds a single stage of USPSA would shoot. I was left wanting more...

The origins of IDPA was a disenchanted USPSA shooter (a well known one at that).  So the feud has continued on from there.  I will support any shooting venue that encourages responsible shooting.

Some of the comments about race guns are from the inexperienced.  The top shooters can outshoot spacegun shooters with a production gun.  It is a thing of beauty.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 2:33:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Try each and make up your own mind.  I prefer USPSA but have shot both.  After my first IDPA match, we ran five stages and I had only expended the rounds a single stage of USPSA would shoot. I was left wanting more...

The origins of IDPA was a disenchanted USPSA shooter (a well known one at that).  So the feud has continued on from there.  I will support any shooting venue that encourages responsible shooting.

Some of the comments about race guns are from the inexperienced.  The top shooters can outshoot spacegun shooters with a production gun.  It is a thing of beauty.
View Quote

I bet it is!
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 5:05:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Before all the contrarians jump in, I looked at last years Alabama sectional and the first production shooter was #27.  Above him was a mix of open and limited shooters.  That guy is a hell of a shot!
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 5:13:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 7:27:39 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

I've shot both and prefer USPSA.

Too many Tactical Teds in IDPA who enforce silly rules in arbitrary ways.

Plus, most real world scenarios are boring.  One or two targets under 7 yds?  Yawn.

Give me plate racks at 50 yds, Texas stars, swingers, clamshells.  Let me clear a submarine (like an Area 1 stage from a few years ago) or hose down a squad of bad guys.

View Quote
+1 to this^

The amount of arm chair urban commandos is mindblowing in IDPA. They all try to pass it off as "training" but then pitch a fit if you don't follow their idea of how a stage should be done to the most minute detail (and then quote pointless competitive rules at you, not a one related to safety).

My vote is with USPSA; more shooting, more fun, less subdivision special forces.

Link Posted: 8/20/2015 7:50:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Both games have their good and bad.  IDPA seems to forget that they are a game sometimes and things get too serious, at least at the local matches that I have shot.

I like that IDPA has more rules geared toward tactics but really both are going to improve your shooting and that is a good thing.

I wish IDPA would allow appendix carry as that is exactly how I carry, and how I want to practice.

Link Posted: 8/20/2015 9:21:57 PM EDT
[#35]
I have been looking around, and there are 3 ranges around that shoot USPSA in different weekends. One of the ranges shoot IDPA on the open weekend. I figure that is a full 4 Saturday's a month if I chose to do both. The IDPA is only one weekend, so it may not be so bad.

You guys have been awesome. I'm sure I'll shoot one soon enough (got a couple of minor surgeries in Sept. & Oct.) and will post an AAR when I take the plunge!
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 10:25:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Do both and have fun. I don't get all the gripes about either one. I have only shot one type and it don't matter what one it is.

Either way you get out with good people, have fun and with time get better with what your shooting.

I just encourage anyone who wants to shoot to get out and do it.

That's just my opinion and you know what they say about opinions.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:59:18 AM EDT
[#37]
I'm gonna give you the opposite feeling from most here... USPSA is frustrating and I like IDPA much better. However I would wager this is because of the local club where I shoot more than anything else. I shoot SS in USPSA and our local matches have high round counts and numerous field courses. This can be very frustrating for a guy with 8 rounds in the mag. I also see no benefit to burning more powder for the sake of burning more powder. All it does is raise cost and fatigue.

From an impartial point of view,
1) Everything depends on the local guys you shoot with. Bothersome people make for no fun no matter what type of match.
2) IDPA is a GAME. Treat it as such and you will enjoy it more. You will learn good things about running your gun and executing a plan but it is not real-world practice.
3) IDPA has more rules but they are currently pretty straight-forward. After completing a match, they are not that overwhelming.

As a beginner, I would tell you to shoot both at any clubs local to you. If you find you like the guys at one club or one version best, put your time and money there. No matter what, shoot what you have for a few matches min before spending money on equipment and upgrades you probably don't need.

Even with my enthusiasm being much greater for IDPA, I do shoot USPSA a few times a year. It has it's place and I understand why some people are drawn to it. If you want to see some really skilled shooters, find a local ICORE match.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 11:05:25 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I'm gonna give you the opposite feeling from most here... USPSA is frustrating and I like IDPA much better. However I would wager this is because of the local club where I shoot more than anything else. I shoot SS in USPSA and our local matches have high round counts and numerous field courses. This can be very frustrating for a guy with 8 rounds in the mag. I also see no benefit to burning more powder for the sake of burning more powder. All it does is raise cost and fatigue.

From an impartial point of view,
1) Everything depends on the local guys you shoot with. Bothersome people make for no fun no matter what type of match.
2) IDPA is a GAME. Treat it as such and you will enjoy it more. You will learn good things about running your gun and executing a plan but it is not real-world practice.
3) IDPA has more rules but they are currently pretty straight-forward. After completing a match, they are not that overwhelming.

As a beginner, I would tell you to shoot both at any clubs local to you. If you find you like the guys at one club or one version best, put your time and money there. No matter what, shoot what you have for a few matches min before spending money on equipment and upgrades you probably don't need.

Even with my enthusiasm being much greater for IDPA, I do shoot USPSA a few times a year. It has it's place and I understand why some people are drawn to it. If you want to see some really skilled shooters, find a local ICORE match.
View Quote

Grow a pair!  Shoot 32 rd field stages with a 6-shot Major revolver and then come back and complain.  I love big field stages and I shoot pretty much nothing but revolver at the moment.  6 and 8 shot in USPSA and 6-shot in IDPA.

The draw to both sports for me was they are one of the few shooting sports where your reloads have a direct effect on your score.  Revolver and and Single Stack shooters get to reload more than anyone.  Life is good!
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 12:58:20 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

View Quote

Shoots a 1911, complains about frequent reloads.

Comes out to a run-and-gun match, complains about getting too much trigger time.

You, sir, have interesting viewpoints!  
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 1:39:46 PM EDT
[#40]
LOL
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 3:31:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Comes out to a run-and-gun match, complains about getting too much trigger time.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

While I certainly am grateful for all the insights given thus far.....I too have to agree that this is quite interdasting.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 5:59:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Running single stack or production will make you very efficient at reloading on the move, I consider this a real world skill.  Running single stack or production will make you very efficient at shooting accurately, as you will want to make those limited amount of shots count, I consider this a real world skill.  Running single stack or production will make you a better pistol shooter all around, I consider this a real world skill.

If you are worried about being at the end of the pack in score, that is another issue.  In USPSA you can shoot from cover, retain your magazines, "slice the pie", shoot full power loads, draw from cover, and only shoot like 12 shots per stage if you wish.  There are no rules restricting you from shooting it like a "tactical" course.  Now just try to reverse it at IDPA and you will not score well either.

Link Posted: 9/9/2015 4:39:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Most clubs in my area run IDPA.  I've shot both.  I lean toward IDPA.  

That said in local matches a lot of the clubs have gone to IDPA-Lite.  Generally an IDPA match without some of the sillier rules.  It varies depending on the RO and who designed the stage.
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 7:47:53 PM EDT
[#44]
I started out shooting IDPA for about 6 years. I enjoyed it and met a lot of great people. I thought of USPSA as guys who were only good because they had fancy equipment. Some guys drug me kicking and screaming to a USPSA match in 2005. I never looked back. I was at the top or winning IDPA matches, I was barely half way down in USPSA. I never really learned to shoot a handgun well until I started playing that sport. If you are a competitive person, USPSA is the way to go. Lots of guys practice their ass off and it shows.
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 10:03:33 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I started out shooting IDPA for about 6 years. I enjoyed it and met a lot of great people. I thought of USPSA as guys who were only good because they had fancy equipment. Some guys drug me kicking and screaming to a USPSA match in 2005. I never looked back. I was at the top or winning IDPA matches, I was barely half way down in USPSA. I never really learned to shoot a handgun well until I started playing that sport. If you are a competitive person, USPSA is the way to go. Lots of guys practice their ass off and it shows.
View Quote

IDPA = I Don't Practice Anyway
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 10:36:49 AM EDT
[#46]
IDPA - I Don't Participate Anymore

Link Posted: 9/15/2015 1:22:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Shoot both, but USPSA is more fun in my opinion. Also we have junior shooters in our area. Not sure who told you a 16 yr old cant shoot, because they can.
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 8:19:15 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Shoot both, but USPSA is more fun in my opinion. Also we have junior shooters in our area. Not sure who told you a 16 yr old cant shoot, because they can.
View Quote

Not in NY Julie must of done a lot of traveling in her youth.
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 5:14:50 PM EDT
[#49]
I shoot IDPA if I have nothing better to do. However, I despise the rules. The rulebook changes every season it seems like!
The rules are awful. Why can't I let a mag with 1 round left hit the ground?
I totally get the 50% rule shooting behind hard cover.
It's just not as fun when I'm shooting 12 rounds a stage

USPSA is wayyyy more technical. The caliber of shooters among USPSA is significantly higher than IDPA.
I am allowed to shoot the stage however I like, pretty much without fear of getting penalized.
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 1:12:02 PM EDT
[#50]
Shoot both , disregard what you don't need or want.

Rules only matter if you care about being penalized. Me no really caring about you silly rule.

I'm here for the shooting
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top