Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/31/2015 2:47:31 PM EDT
I'm a complete IDPA newb - just shot my first a couple weeks ago.

I'm looking at vests on Amazon and can't seem to find anything other than overpriced (IMO) 5.11, Columbia, etc. vests. Anyone out there have a line on something a little more humble that would work well enough? I'd even settle for someone selling me on why I need to spend $60+for a garment that contains less material than I get in a shirt or jacket.

I see tier 1 operators on other forums spending $75 (Duluth Trading), $250 (Filson), up to $300+!! (King of the Mountain)....I just want a vest that barely meets the IDPA criteria.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 4:45:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Bass Pro Shops has a $30 vest. Red Head brand.

It is thin/light so you have to be a bit more dedicated when you sweep it out of the way. It is also not "tactical" length so you need to be sure you can pass the scarecrow test without hiking your pants to your chin.

I have been using it for 3 or 4 years but admit I would like to have a stiffer and slightly longer vest.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 9:44:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Kmart or walmart.

Thrift store.

Sportsman's guide.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 9:46:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bass Pro Shops has a $30 vest. Red Head brand.

It is thin/light so you have to be a bit more dedicated when you sweep it out of the way. It is also not "tactical" length so you need to be sure you can pass the scarecrow test without hiking your pants to your chin.

I have been using it for 3 or 4 years but admit I would like to have a stiffer and slightly longer vest.
View Quote

Could always sew in a nylon zip tie,  like ive seen some gamers do. Dont think it is legal though.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:11:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Seen one guy just cut the sleeves off a BDU blouse. I was "why didn't I think of that" then I remembered all of mine shrunk in the closet over the years. I  bought a fishing vest with the 100 pockets that works ok. It is hot sometimes, but I do like all the extra pockets. Over 90 degrees and our local match waives the concealment rule anyway.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:39:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Do it with style.  Go to your local Goodwill/second-hand store and get a old/ugly sport coat with leather patches on the elbows.  Get one a jacket size larger than normal for free movement and show them how to shoot IDPA in style.  

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 1:45:26 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Do it with style.  Go to your local Goodwill/second-hand store and get a old/ugly sport coat with leather patches on the elbows.  Get one a jacket size larger than normal for free movement and show them how to shoot IDPA in style.  

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-USYgNSbHFZ0/TjwwL2nNPJI/AAAAAAAAHns/5BGo7jGCsP4/s1600/Shetland+back.jpg
View Quote
Ha, that's a good idea

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 1:45:52 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Kmart or walmart.
Thrift store.
Sportsman's guide.
View Quote
I rarely go to brick-and-mortar stores these days - I didn't really
think they would have vests like that but I'll swing by a [shudder]
Walmart and check it out sometime.
Also, Kmart still exists??

ETA: Well look what we have here....thanks for the tip:  http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/guide-gear-concealment-vest?a=977330

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 10:28:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I rarely go to brick-and-mortar stores these days - I didn't really think they would have vests like that but I'll swing by a [shudder] Walmart and check it out sometime.

ETA: Well look what we have here....thanks for the tip:  http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/guide-gear-concealment-vest?a=977330

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Kmart or walmart.

Thrift store.

Sportsman's guide.
I rarely go to brick-and-mortar stores these days - I didn't really think they would have vests like that but I'll swing by a [shudder] Walmart and check it out sometime.

The Guide vest - The pockets are all zippers. While this is OK for normal wear, you want something larger with flaps you can tuck in the top of the pocket. This makes it easier to do a reload with retention.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:58:03 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

The Guide vest - The pockets are all zippers. While this is OK for normal wear, you want something larger with flaps you can tuck in the top of the pocket. This makes it easier to do a reload with retention.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Makes sense.

Link Posted: 4/7/2015 10:37:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Kmart or walmart.

Thrift store.

Sportsman's guide.
View Quote

That gives me an idea...

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/walmart-vest
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 5:04:32 PM EDT
[#11]
got mine from Ebay
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 9:51:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 9:12:11 AM EDT
[#13]
http://www.511tactical.com/range-vest-189042.html

The Khaki is on sale at the moment.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 5:49:52 PM EDT
[#14]
I sport a cut off Denim Levi Jacket that is about 2 sizes too large.  Cost me $5 at thrift store.

I don't shoot a ton of IDPA but it works.  I usually shoot USPSA unless my Sunday is tied up and I'm free on Saturday.  I'd rather shoot than not shoot.
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 4:05:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-USYgNSbHFZ0/TjwwL2nNPJI/AAAAAAAAHns/5BGo7jGCsP4/s1600/Shetland+back.jpg
View Quote

IDPA Bond Style?
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 12:04:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Is a vest required? I was planning to go to my first match wearing the same thing I wear to conceal in real life - Hawaiian shirt. It passes the scarecrow test.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 5:53:17 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Is a vest required? I was planning to go to my first match wearing the same thing I wear to conceal in real life - Hawaiian shirt. It passes the scarecrow test.
View Quote

That's all that matters.  The heavier vests have come into favor over time because their stiff, pocket covered fronts are quick and easy to swipe back for the draw without getting hung up on your holster and gear, but any garment that conceals your gun and mags is legal to play.

Link Posted: 7/12/2015 12:15:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Look at Cabela's Safari Series vest. Comes in green, tan and camo. It was recently on sale for $45 and works great.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 9:38:40 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View Quote
Hawaiian shirts and IWB holsters still work great.

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 10:38:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

The first four years I shot IDPA, I exclusively used an IWB holster and a camp shirt, tshirt, hoodie or sweatshirt for concealment.  I still shoot some local matches like this on occasion.

It would be like IDPA to ban things people actually use for CCW from being used in competition though.  
Link Posted: 2/26/2016 4:59:43 PM EDT
[#21]
What's the "scarecrow test"? There's an IDPA match coming up this Sunday and it will be my first. I have an OWB holster.
Link Posted: 2/26/2016 5:35:23 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

What's the "scarecrow test"? There's an IDPA match coming up this Sunday and it will be my first. I have an OWB holster.
View Quote

Put on your holster, mag pouches, pistol, and concealment garment, stand straight and raise your arms so they are perpendicular to your body and parallel to the ground (so you look like a scarecrow).

In that stance, all parts of your gun and gear must remain concealed.  It will raise the lower edge of your vest/coat a bit more than it sits at the relaxed, arms down position.
Link Posted: 2/26/2016 7:25:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Also, I've never seen anybody bother with that for local matches.
Link Posted: 2/26/2016 9:10:20 PM EDT
[#24]
I've never been Scarecrow checked at any local match.  I tend to use cover garmets that I would use in "real life".  Untucked T-Shirt or a button up shirt with a T-Shirt under it tucked in.
Link Posted: 2/26/2016 9:30:52 PM EDT
[#25]
I wear a button up shirt from walmart in the summer..Hawaiian style! covers the gun, is cool vests are heavy and hot
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 10:09:30 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Seen one guy just cut the sleeves off a BDU blouse. I was "why didn't I think of that" then I remembered all of mine shrunk in the closet over the years. I  bought a fishing vest with the 100 pockets that works ok. It is hot sometimes, but I do like all the extra pockets. Over 90 degrees and our local match waives the concealment rule anyway.
View Quote

This is what I've done. It looks a little odd, but who cares.
Link Posted: 3/10/2016 1:47:00 AM EDT
[#27]
No more weird than a giant "concealed carry" vest.
Link Posted: 3/10/2016 1:53:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm doing this...except cutting the sleeves off
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 5:43:08 PM EDT
[#29]
I use a T shirt.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 5:32:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Go to Ebay, or Amazon and do a search for cargo vest, there are choices for less than $30
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 5:54:47 PM EDT
[#31]
I wear an $11 dollar short sleeve button up shirt from Wal Mart
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 9:41:20 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I wear an $11 dollar short sleeve button up shirt from Wal Mart
View Quote

Tend to be too light and loose. You'll probably need something that's a little ridged and weighty for consistency's sake.

If you have pockets throwing something a little heavy in them for maximum swing-outta-the-way helps too.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 10:50:09 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

lol,  I can relate......no use for small extra short BDU tops.   I made the mistake of grabbing an old BDU set for pool drown proofing training where you take your clothes off in the pool and make floats out of them.  You ever try to take a wet undersized shirt off while treading water.  Monkey fornicating a football.
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 12:10:46 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I wear a button up shirt from walmart in the summer..Hawaiian style! covers the gun, is cool vests are heavy and hot
View Quote

I've been shooting IDPA for years.

EOTAC is the standard.

Lately I've been doing the relaxed button down shirt over a tshirt.

link to cheap EOTAC vest...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EOTAC-Operator-Grade-Vest-Mens-large-L-Beige-Pockets-Pouches-Photography-/201597472881?hash=item2ef0255071

Link Posted: 6/21/2016 4:07:20 PM EDT
[#35]
I just wear an unbuttoned collared shirt.  Its not a fashion show.  I may have even worn a blaze orange hunting vest.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 6:07:31 PM EDT
[#36]
You should totally show up in one of these:

Link Posted: 6/22/2016 6:47:55 PM EDT
[#37]
I just use a T-shirt and an IWB holster. Works great when concealment is required, and I can tuck the shirt in if concealment is not required. Also matches my EDC.
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 3:40:56 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
You should totally show up in one of these:

http://www.boomspeak.com/fiction_pix/walmartgreet1.jpg
View Quote

Dude...

I'm absolutely getting one of those...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top