Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/15/2014 11:01:53 PM EDT
Got an invite from a co-worker to attend a USPSA Competition at the Pima Pistol Club in Tucson...

He's been pestering me for a long time to go with him to quote... "Burn It Down", end quote. He even offered to pay the entry fee for me and even give me ammo to shoot...

Well, finally gave in and went with him... And in short, I was really surprised at how laid back everyone was.

I was a bit nervous at first. THese guys are running solid rigs with them; everything from 1911s (Springers, STIs and SVIs) and race-ready Glocks (my co-worker was running a Glock 35, I think with a myriad of mods, but no optics) to one older gent that worked at the club that ran an 8-shot Smith wheelgun in .357, a model 627 Performance Center, and yet another guy running a Tangfoglio in .40 cal.

Well, out of the 30 people that attended (now, please don't laugh) - I was #27 while running my bone stock USP 9mm with LE trigger and Jet Funnel. And I was DFL on the division I was placed in.

Like this one.. I know, don't laugh.

Anyways, I think the bug bit me and now, I want to get into this formally. I have narrowed down my choice of platform to either a Glock 35 or an XD-M 5.25 in .40 cal. I would love to get some input from you guys and maybe get some insight into the sport. I am planning to join the club and practice long and hard to get a bit better (okay, okay; a WHOLE lot better).
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 9:10:06 AM EDT
[#1]
What divsion do you want to shoot in?

LTD/Open/ltd-10 = STI (ltd/ltd-10 40, Open 9mm or one of the 38 Super varations)
Production= Glock M&P XDm (9mm)
Single Stack = 1911 (45 acp)
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 9:20:40 AM EDT
[#2]
USPSA/IPSC is a GAME.......be safe,have fun,watch the front sight.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 12:50:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What divsion do you want to shoot in?

LTD/Open/ltd-10 = STI (ltd/ltd-10 40, Open 9mm or one of the 38 Super varations)
Production= Glock M&P XDm (9mm)
Single Stack = 1911 (45 acp)
View Quote

I think I would go with the "Production" Division. Like I stated earlier, I am opting to either go Glock or XD-M. My co-worker has both and I think he would help me into setting a decent setup.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 12:51:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

I know; otherwise, I would not even bother with it, right?
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 2:23:31 PM EDT
[#5]
I would run what you have for a few more matches to get a better feel for the game and equipment options before you sink a lot of money into a setup you may or may not like.  Borrow setups and try them if you can.

You didn't let that old dude with the revolver beat you did you?
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 2:37:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Skip the 40 for production why add recoil when 9mm is all you need.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 5:20:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 11:20:56 PM EDT
[#8]
I already have one of the supervisors offering me his old rig from when he was part of the agency's shooting team. He has an STI Targetmaster and since I have an STI as well, I might run it next time.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:11:39 AM EDT
[#9]
If you are going to shoot production I would suggest a Glock 34 or an M&P9 PRO. The new hotness in production is the Tanfoglio Stock 2 but the cost of entry is much higher.

XD's are decent guns and I know folks who do well with them, but not many the glocks and M&Ps are just better platforms. Of course this is coming form a guy with 6 M&Ps

If you are going to shoot Limited then the best way to get in and see if you like it is an M&P40 PRO or Glock 35, you don't have to have a 2011 to be competitive I know plenty of M's and GM's that got there shooting striker fired guns.

You may eventually want to spend the $$ on a 2011 but for getting started I think the best way to go is a Glock or an M&P
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 4:01:40 PM EDT
[#10]
I had the Glock 35 in mind already, but I already own a single stack STI Duty One 1911 5" that I might throw into the pot as well...

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 5:10:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I had the Glock 35 in mind already, but I already own a single stack STI Duty One 1911 5" that I might throw into the pot as well...

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a362/Sablelieger/Weapons/AB1F89AA-EE91-4082-B4C7-A4D9B8736730_zps3kj04m6y.jpg

View Quote

limited 10 gun or very limited, limited gun.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:23:21 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a362/Sablelieger/Weapons/AB1F89AA-EE91-4082-B4C7-A4D9B8736730_zps3kj04m6y.jpg

Nah, go single stack division.

ETA: forgot for a minute there, but the bull barrel makes it a no-go in single stack.

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:49:24 AM EDT
[#13]

The duty one would be fine in limited 10, get some 10 rd McCormicks or Wilsons and have fun!
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 1:15:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The duty one would be fine in limited 10, get some 10 rd McCormicks or Wilsons and have fun!
View Quote

I have three already, along with the six 8-rounders...

Might go with the Glock 34 though. Still have to read up some more on rules for each division before I jump head first into yet another expensive hobby...
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 9:01:00 AM EDT
[#15]
ltd is a nice place place to start even with a 9mm.

1 you get to load your magazines to full capacity
2. less resterctions on holster/magazine pouch locations and type.
3 stages are usally easier due to less reloads required which = less chances of doing something stupid like breaking a 180 during a reload.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 9:18:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

You mean this one?

http://www.shootingusa.com/LATEST_UPDATES/LATEST_UPDATES_JERRY_WINS/latestupdate4rob.jpg

Yeah, looks like he sucks to me
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You mean this one?

http://www.shootingusa.com/LATEST_UPDATES/LATEST_UPDATES_JERRY_WINS/latestupdate4rob.jpg

LOL, yeah Rob can run a revolver.  Saw him at the Revolver Nationals this year, was bummed Jerry did not shoot it though I would have loved to have met him too.  Did the OP shoot with Rob?  Is that Rob's home club?
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 3:15:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

LOL, yeah Rob can run a revolver.  Saw him at the Revolver Nationals this year, was bummed Jerry did not shoot it though I would have loved to have met him too.  Did the OP shoot with Rob?  Is that Rob's home club?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You mean this one?

No, I did not shoot with Rob; it was someone else, but running a similar revolver.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 4:13:03 PM EDT
[#18]
I agree that you can shoot your gun until you know where to go. I loved production and shot a stock sig 226 stainless. The 34 and M&P pro are great production guns but honestly just about any of the current production 9mm guns will do what you need so don't think you need that one gun.

Limited 10 is fun and a lot of the stage planning will transfer over to production since both are 10 rounds.

Whatever you do just keep it up. You will be amazed how fast you improve initially and it becomes even more fun once you have a better understanding of everything that is going on.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 7:25:31 PM EDT
[#19]
CZ75 FTW. It's a heavy 9mm, perfect for this game. I have a clone (Tanfo) works great. Just remember, the lighter the gun the more the recoil. Light guns are great for carry, not for recoil.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 9:31:43 PM EDT
[#20]
There is so much to the game that isn't even shooting that I would not worry about minor or major, or what gun is best.  Shoot whatever you enjoy shooting the most, and learn how to move through a course of fire smoothly.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 10:04:34 PM EDT
[#21]
I am the most anti glock guy on the planet, but if i was you, i would buy a g34, and run it until you think it is holding you back.By the time this happens, you should be high A, or low M.Once you are at this point, contact  a reputable smith and have him build you a 2011.You will then probably run that for a few years, and realize, you will never get any better, as long as you have  a family, and a full time  job.The sport will slowly start to lose its luster, and you wil start to find better things to do with your time.All of this is after you spend $ 20k or so, on dillon and st/svi products, and reloading components.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 10:42:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I am the most anti glock guy on the planet, but if i was you, i would buy a g34, and run it until you think it is holding you back.By the time this happens, you should be high A, or low M.Once you are at this point, contact  a reputable smith and have him build you a 2011.You will then probably run that for a few years, and realize, you will never get any better, as long as you have  a family, and a full time  job.The sport will slowly start to lose its luster, and you wil start to find better things to do with your time.All of this is after you spend $ 20k or so, on dillon and st/svi products, and reloading components.
View Quote

Single, good job - pay my bills and have some leftover for toys. Need another hobby other than wasting away the day in front of the TV or with the PS4.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 10:38:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
CZ75 FTW. It's a heavy 9mm, perfect for this game. I have a clone (Tanfo) works great. Just remember, the lighter the gun the more the recoil. Light guns are great for carry, not for recoil.
View Quote

On the other hand, a lighter gun, such as a Glock 34, can be faster on target transitions and reloads.

I've shot with one of the top GM's in the area who shoots a 34, and it sure doesn't hold him back.
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 11:49:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Well? I decided to go with the Springfield XD-M 5.25 in .40 cal.

Picking it up tomorrow from the Fun Store. Since my co-worker runs one as well, I will let him help me out with the mods and whatnot.

What I really like about the XD is the trigger, really nice and smooth (for a plastic pistol). I can always pick up a Glock 35 fairly easy, so not worried too much (my co-worker also runs a Glock 35).

Yay! Another money-sucking hobby for me to have.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 5:38:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Well? I decided to go with the Springfield XD-M 5.25 in .40 cal.

Picking it up tomorrow from the Fun Store. Since my co-worker runs one as well, I will let him help me out with the mods and whatnot.

What I really like about the XD is the trigger, really nice and smooth (for a plastic pistol). I can always pick up a Glock 35 fairly easy, so not worried too much (my co-worker also runs a Glock 35).

Yay! Another money-sucking hobby for me to have.
View Quote

Shoot limited with it! If you don't already have on order, order some mag extensions and a magwell to use in that division. Or  just load the mags to their factory capacity, knowing that you may need to do an extra reload on some stages, and shoot it for a while before making any changes.

It's an addicting and expensive hobby!
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 7:13:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Are you still planning on shooting production? If so you might want to consider reloading or buying 40 minor ammo because factory ammo is quite a bit hotter than needed.

Or as stated above buy the extensions and shoot limited.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 10:07:38 PM EDT
[#27]
I hope I'm not hijacking the thread here, but how advanced should one be before entering a competition? I've been shooting for about a year and love it, but do these competitions mainly attract quasi-experts?
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 10:18:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 9:08:41 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I hope I'm not hijacking the thread here, but how advanced should one be before entering a competition? I've been shooting for about a year and love it, but do these competitions mainly attract quasi-experts?
View Quote

We all start somewhere.

As one guy who was intrested in USPSA said at a York major match, "Boy you've got to be pretty good just to suck at this sport".

Go to a local match have fun and be safe the rest comes with time and pratice.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 5:26:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Similar to what the previous two poster said.  Be safe and ready to learn.  You don't need to be an expert marksman or anything but you should have a comfortable level of proficiency loading, unloading and firing your selected handgun.  If you are comfortable with the basic operation of your handgun you can focus on the particular rules of the sport, especially the safety rules.

I frequently give the new shooter safety briefing at my local club's USPSA matches and I always finish the briefing with, "Your number one priory today is to be safe, second priority get good hits, and your third priority plan your reloads.  All the rest will come with experience and practice."

At my local club matches as long as you are safe, friendly, and help reset stages no one will cares if you're a GM or a D class shooter.  Have fun and learn.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 5:15:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

You need to be able to safely draw, reload, and move (note I did not say you had to do any of those things quickly). Beyond that everyone on your squad will love you if you pay attention, are ready before it is your turn, and paste on every run but your own.

On your runs, just take your time and remain religiously conscience of where your muzzle and trigger finger are any time the gun is out of the holster.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 3:45:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Well, here's what I have to work with...

Already have the goodies installed and considering to add a S/S barrel down the road, plus extended mags (no magwell yet).

Still struggling to get a holster; not exactly something you can pick off the shelf at your LGS.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 4:30:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

You need to be able to safely draw, reload, and move (note I did not say you had to do any of those things quickly). Beyond that everyone on your squad will love you if you pay attention, are ready before it is your turn, and paste on every run but your own.

On your runs, just take your time and remain religiously conscience of where your muzzle and trigger finger are any time the gun is out of the holster.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

Let them know up front that you are new and this is your first time competing. They may stick you with a squad that runs new shooters. Don't try to do anything fast. Just be safe and be accurate. As you progress you will speed up but let your experience guide that. If you are looking to impress people right of the bat, do it by listening, being safe and being helpful. Help reset stages and help clean up at the end of the day.

Black-Tiger, have you shot 2GAC at PPC?

If not you should really give it a try. Way better then USPSA IMHO. USPSA is fine and all, I shot a match out there once... eh, if I can only shoot one, it's 2GAC
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:25:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 10:20:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Are you wanting to keep the light on it to shoot?  That will put you in open.
View Quote

No, just put it on to se how it would look. I am using no light on it while in competition.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 1:53:13 AM EDT
[#36]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top