Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/6/2014 10:44:28 PM EDT
Just got a p226 and am looking for a holster. Is the Blackhawk Serpa legal for idpa? I really like the bladtech holsters but the blackhawk js much cheaper.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 10:49:56 PM EDT
[#1]
They have new rules this year.  It should be legal if it holds the gun no more than a half inch from the body.  Don't hold me to the half inch distance though, I'm going off memory.  If you go to the IDPA website there is a link on the home page to the rule book.

ETA:  I wouldn't recommend a holster that has a retention device.  Look at the comp-tac international.  They are still pricey but worth it.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 11:12:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Personally I'd skip the Serpa holster.... Blade-tech or Comp-tac is good though.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 7:40:53 AM EDT
[#3]
It might be IDPA legal but many clubs are banning any holster the needs to be unlocked with a finger press.

Pressing finger in during the draw is a bad habit to develop.

If you were to continue the press after the weapon has been released the next stop is the trigger. Not a good idea.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 8:14:45 AM EDT
[#4]
I used to use a serpa when I first started IDPA (on a 226 as well).  It worked great and didn't have any complaints.  However, I'd skip it and go with another retention system/holster such as Safariland, comtac, etc.  You'll pay a bit more, but the 226 is a great gun you'll have for ever and you might as well get the right holster now.  Buy once, cry once.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 8:20:21 AM EDT
[#5]
As mentioned above some clubs do not allow it.  My club is one of them and if you show up with that holster they will not allow you to compete in the IDPA match.  If nothing else check with the club where you intend to shoot your IDPA matches to see if it is even allowed.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 8:31:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Dosent Blackhawk make a version without the retention? The sport model?
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 7:21:05 PM EDT
[#7]
If you use it you have to use the retention lock or disable it permanently.  Just sticking a piece of cardboard behind the lock won't cut it.

I have one now that I have used in USPSA/IDPA for the past 6 months, going to get a different holster when I get some extra funds, new belt and mag pouches are in the works first though.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 9:46:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Skip the Serpa. An uncle mikes kydex is better if you can't swing the BladeTech. That finger lock is for the birds
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 8:31:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Yes
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 10:07:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Dosent Blackhawk make a version without the retention? The sport model?
View Quote

Yes.  I have one for my 92A1 because they didn't have a serpa.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 12:06:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Get a decent Blade-tech or Comptac. Buy once, cry once.
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 9:45:53 PM EDT
[#12]
The comp-tac competition kit is perfect for IDPA. which ever way you go I would avoid the serpa
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 9:46:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Serpa is garbage.
Link Posted: 5/11/2014 11:00:03 PM EDT
[#14]
I ran my 1911 with one at a steel shoot last weekend, it worked fine, that being said its still isn't my favorite
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 12:17:18 PM EDT
[#15]
It is still legal if it rides close enough to your body per IDPA rules.
Some clubs will not let you run it. Ask first.
Last year or the year before (I cannot recall which) there were three people shot on the draw from a Serpa in about 5 months during IDPA matches. That is why there has been a debate about banning them.
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 11:23:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Last year or the year before (I cannot recall which) there were three people shot on the draw from a Serpa in about 5 months during IDPA matches. That is why there has been a debate about banning them.
View Quote

Blame it on a 'bad holster' instead of untrained, idiot people. As ridiculous as banning guns...
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 1:02:17 PM EDT
[#17]
While I think the holster is a bad design the fact remains that accidents have happened with them.  My club is composed mainly of Fudds and they don't even like IDPA much so we cannot afford any accident or they will kick us out.  So for some clubs the Serpa holster is not an option.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 11:34:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Blame it on a 'bad holster' instead of untrained, idiot people. As ridiculous as banning guns...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Even the trained experts have chimed in on the problems.....  https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CB8QFjAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.fletc.gov%2Freference%2Fpublic-information%2Ffreedom-of-information-act-foia%2Freading-room%2Ftraining-information%2FholisterStudy.pdf%2Fdownload&ei=QjysU53cI9OJqga1sYKoBw&usg=AFQjCNFGodjhpFq0HCLK6UL7AOS2KPxteg&sig2=8LBat-epiGkW1m-7k_14WA&bvm=bv.69837884,d.b2k&cad=rja
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 10:15:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Even the trained experts have chimed in on the problems.....  https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CB8QFjAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.fletc.gov%2Freference%2Fpublic-information%2Ffreedom-of-information-act-foia%2Freading-room%2Ftraining-information%2FholisterStudy.pdf%2Fdownload&ei=QjysU53cI9OJqga1sYKoBw&usg=AFQjCNFGodjhpFq0HCLK6UL7AOS2KPxteg&sig2=8LBat-epiGkW1m-7k_14WA&bvm=bv.69837884,d.b2k&cad=rja
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

While I wouldn't consider the Dept. of Homeland Security an expert, I did read the report. Their entire case study is based on cases where the shooter yanks on the pistol prior to deactivating the retention mechanism. Then "under duress" they escalate through a series "of cascading series of failures".  Basically they freak out and yank, push, pull, prod, until they finally get the pistol out. Under this scenario, it's not surprising that there have been some resulting negligent discharges.

Used correctly, the proper draw requires very slight pressure from the index finger to deactivate the locking mechanism. As the draw is completed, the index finger is then automatically indexed correctly on the side of the slide, exactly as it should be. It's so intuitive that after 4 or 5 practice draws, the unlocking maneuver is almost entirely forgotten. Something that cannot be said for many of the other Level II retention holsters.

Ignore the Internet myths and try one yourself.
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 10:57:10 AM EDT
[#20]
I have tried one myself and while I had no issues while using it I can see where a problem could occur.  The fact that problems have occurred was enough for my local IDPA chapter to ban them as we cannot afford to have any accidents.  If I am using a retention holster I prefer to use one where my trigger finger is not what unlocks it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:06:04 PM EDT
[#21]
I've had one since 2006, I have used it on and off again since that time. I am an IDPA Match Director and I permit their use at my range and during our matches. Most of my shooters use Comp-Tac, Bladetech, or whatever name flat kydex holsters, which is what I prefer myself.
I used this holster as a daily rig for 4 years before switching, I've not had any issues because it's muscle memory for me to push button, then pull, but I suppose I could see where the problems occur.
All in all, I'd not recommend them personally, if for no other reason than I believe there are better options.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 8:41:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I've had one since 2006, I have used it on and off again since that time. I am an IDPA Match Director and I permit their use at my range and during our matches. Most of my shooters use Comp-Tac, Bladetech, or whatever name flat kydex holsters, which is what I prefer myself.
I used this holster as a daily rig for 4 years before switching, I've not had any issues because it's muscle memory for me to push button, then pull, but I suppose I could see where the problems occur.
All in all, I'd not recommend them personally, if for no other reason than I believe there are better options.
View Quote

I thought that you "push" the button is the issue that people have with serpa holsters. You simply lay your index finger flat on the holster as you would lay you finger on the gun in a ready position and it slides out of the holster. I have used one for years and they serve me well.

Link Posted: 8/24/2014 7:17:28 PM EDT
[#23]
If  used correctly by someone that knows what they are doing they are a great holster.   I have read the reviews and seen the videos...no true proof given that the holster is to blame.  

Motorcycles have a much higher rate of accidents when driven by untrained and inexperienced riders.  In fact in Ohio more that 50% of motorcycle accidents each year were caused by riders with less than 1 year of experience.  Should we ban motorcycles or should we say that the motorcycle is unsafe and caused the accidents?  If you look at the stats…I think that is true for people having issues with the Serpa holster.  The Serpa is the holster that is by far the most used of any and the most bought and used by new users.  

I have used then for years and I love them.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 4:01:56 PM EDT
[#24]
no problem with any club baning the use of a serpa.  Clubs land clubs rules. This day and age liability insurance is the ruler.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 7:09:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This!  One of the best holsters available on the market.  But not for idiots.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 3:52:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

AFSOC banned them after a particularly competent shooter cranked on of on the draw. It happens to skilled shooters too.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 11:41:21 PM EDT
[#27]
I used to use one as my carry holster. When I went to take a class, the instructor had a hate on for them. So, before I got to the class, I'd gotten one of the non-retention-button version of the same Blackhawk holster. Since it used tension to hold the gun in, I had to diddle with the adjustment to be strong enough to hold the gun in but loose enough to get a quick draw out of. I found during the class that not having to remember to use an extended finger to press the button just made it seem easier. I figure that just drawing and firing accurately under pressure is enough to have to keep up with, so eliminating one step is probably a good thing.
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 12:01:47 PM EDT
[#28]
SERPA will get you killed in the...nevermind.

Ummm, how about Blade-Tech?
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 8:20:25 PM EDT
[#29]
I've been using a thigh holster Serpa for years and love it.  I can't figure out how people get ND's on them, unless you have bad habits which affect any other holster.  When you draw the pistol your finger naturally goes on the slide not the trigger.

Maybe it's just that people don't like blackhawk products, or because they're more popular or more people have them there are more accidents that are publicized.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top