Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/24/2014 8:28:12 AM EDT
All,

I'm sure this has been asked before but does anyone have a good source of speed drills for IDPA? Basically my accuracy is no problem and I often have the fewest points down in the entire match.  I need to work on speed. movement, being fluid.  

Thanks, Cyber
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 12:39:08 PM EDT
[#1]
BILL DRILL.
http://pistol-training.com/drills
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 6:39:18 PM EDT
[#2]
try USPSA

more trigger time
more reloads
more movement

MORE FUN
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 7:14:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Do you have a shot timer or phone app for one? If not, it's hard to figure out what "feels" fast vs. what is really fast on the timer.

There are few areas where shot to shot speed is important, multiple shots on the same target, transitions between targets and shot to shot reload time.

For multiple shots on the same target, I like the 1-4-1 drill.  Draw and fire one shot, record the time. Draw and fire 2 shots, record the time. Keep doing this up to 4 shots, then progress back to 1. Run the whole thing 3 times and try to improve your times on each run.

Transitions take practice transitioning between targets (duh). Practice shooting at least 2 shots on the first target then transition and finish with two shots on the second target. Practice with targets at different distances and in different order, near to far and far to near. Blazing .19 second splits and a 1 second transition are a not as smooth and efficient  as .25 splits and a .40 transition.

For reloads,  do a lot of 1 shot, RL, 2 shots practice.  You need to make sure that you are finishing the reload with a good enough grip and sight picture to make 2 good hits. Slamming a reload in and slinging a "Hoper" at the target is a bad practice.

Gringop
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 3:22:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Do some drills, such as the El Prez, in "speed mode", as Steve Anderson calls it. Go faster than you're comfortable with, even if accuracy suffers, which it will. Rather then try to shoot all A's, just try to get all the shots on paper.
The idea is to get used to the feeling of going faster than you're accustomed to.

I'm working on the same stuff. I'm a turtle as well.
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 2:39:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Reloads and target transition are where most time is lost. I would suggest any drills to work on those two areas.
The draw is overrated. It matters but you only do it once per stage and it is generally better than the average person's reload or transition skills. Heck you don't even draw on some stages.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 3:07:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 9:42:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Bill Drill, Blake Drill and many other are great for learning how to preform the fundamentals quicker.

But only if you have a timer, without a time you are wasting ammo.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top