Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/9/2014 11:18:47 AM EDT
I've shot USPSA a few times over the past few years using a cheap Fobus holster and mag carrier.

Am I cool to use my Raven Concealment holster and mag carriers? Shooting with a HK P30L in the Production division.

I just picked up a M&P PRO CORE and may want to switch to that this season after I shoot it a bit. For that, without any optic, I can still shoot production correct? What if I put a RMR on it, does that push me to the Open division where I'd get slaughtered?
Link Posted: 3/9/2014 12:08:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Holster and mag carriers are OK for Production use.

Gun without optic is OK for use in Production.

Gun with optic puts you in Open Division.
Link Posted: 3/9/2014 12:17:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Wouldn't want to do that. I'd get raped.
Link Posted: 3/9/2014 1:42:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Depends on your goals.  A friend of mine has a pre-CORE M&P that he had a RMR put on.  Yeah, he was doing that before it was cool.  ;)

Anyway, when he shoots USPSA, he just does it for fun, could care less about his score.  So he ran that gun in Open and turned in some nice slow times (compared to us actual Open Race Gunners) but was very accurate, all A hits!

But yeah, if you are 'serious' about Open, you need a proper open gun and gear to be competitive.  Goes for all the divisions, really.  I was terribly frustrated running in Limited with simply a CZ SP01 and normal mag pouches and holster.  Practically Production with big mags.  Very hard to keep up with those 'Open sans Optics and Comps' guns the other guys were running.
Link Posted: 3/9/2014 2:37:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I disagree with the last sentence above, in regards to Limited Division.

There are a LOT of guns that are very competitive in Limited with out being high dollar customs.

Bob Vogel did some serious ass kicking with virtually a stock G35 for a long time, and still does.

That said, when it comes to Open Division, Open stands for open your wallet.
Link Posted: 3/9/2014 2:51:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 12:05:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Is the Pro Core 9mm on the production list? I don't think it is since they are specific on the models. A local match probably wouldn't question it. At a major match you would want to verify it was a production legal pistol with USPSA.
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 4:58:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Is the Pro Core 9mm on the production list? I don't think it is since they are specific on the models. A local match probably wouldn't question it. At a major match you would want to verify it was a production legal pistol with USPSA.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You know, I think your right.

OP, I would get clarification from USPSA HQ about using the Core without the optic for use in Production.
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 6:48:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

OP, I would get clarification from USPSA HQ about using the Core without the optic for use in Production.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't care either way. My local club won't make a fuss and I'm shooting for fun. I'm not great anyway so I doubt I'd be screwing others over lol.

Tell me about Limited. Whats the advantage/disadvantage of shooting that classification? Assume HK P30 or P30L is what I'll be using for now.

I know most guys are using .40 for that class so I want to see what shooting it with 9mm will do for me, if anything. Other than removing the 10 round limit.
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 10:36:02 PM EDT
[#9]
I shoot Limited minor with a G34... main concern is the point penalty for peripheral non "A" hits with a minor caliber...again it depends on what you are trying to accomplish with your participation.... my local club shoots a boat load of the "zebra" targets that have hard cover pre printed on them... at a distance, they are challenging....anyway, a "D" class USPSA shooter is still light years ahead of the average pistol owner in gun handling skills.... Les L747
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 8:28:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Yes, welcome to USPSA as one spectator said one year in York PA, Man you got to be pretty good just to suck at this.
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 9:19:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Yes, welcome to USPSA as one spectator said one year in York PA, Man you got to be pretty good just to suck at this.
View Quote

I've shot a few matches over the past few years. But I do suck.
Link Posted: 3/14/2014 12:01:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I don't care either way. My local club won't make a fuss and I'm shooting for fun. I'm not great anyway so I doubt I'd be screwing others over lol.

Tell me about Limited. Whats the advantage/disadvantage of shooting that classification? Assume HK P30 or P30L is what I'll be using for now.

I know most guys are using .40 for that class so I want to see what shooting it with 9mm will do for me, if anything. Other than removing the 10 round limit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

With the P30, you'll be able to start with the gun "cocked and locked" in limited, provided the gun has a safety. In production, you have to start with the hammer down, so you have to deal with the heavy double action trigger pull for your first shot of a stage.
Link Posted: 3/14/2014 10:17:19 PM EDT
[#13]
I run the P30L in production. It's well suited for the category and reloading is nice and easy since you're using downloaded 15rd mags. Your concealment stuff won't be as fast, but that's not really all that important. If you want good practice with the stuff you carry, use it. I wouldn't run a 9mm in Limited, though it is technically feasible - you will be shooting minor scoring which will penalize you a lot more than the guys shooting major.

If you have a .40 P30L it would work in limited ... Taylor Freelance makes basepads that will let you get 18 rounds of .40 in a mag, which can be competitive. They are a lot lighter than most limited race guns, but still workable. No magwell yet, but I understand that is coming.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top