Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/16/2014 3:53:26 PM EDT
I was curious to know if any of you switched from a 2011 platform to a glock for USPSA, IDPA, 3-gun? If so, why and what are the results?  I am actually thinking about doing just that. My thought process is that it will be cheaper, tons of aftermarket, cheaper, cheaper, easier to maintain, easier to clean, less finicky, and really the main thing  that I am thinking is the consistency. For years I've tried to ignore glocks because I thought they were boring and UGLY! Well, a couple weeks ago I bought a glock 19 and just fell in love with the thing. It's actually become my favorite gun to shoot! I plan on using the glock 19 for my concealed carry weapon and that's why I thought I might switch to glock for my competition pistol. The main reason I compete is to become proficient with a gun for CCW (and for the fun!). While the 2011 is an amazing blaster it's just so much different than shooting a polymer striker fired gun. I  thought it might be a little more consistent to compete with a pistol that's more similar to the gun I carry. I haven't actually compared a glock 34 with the glock 19 but I'm sure they are much more alike than a glock 19 and a 2011!  Any thoughts on this? Am I crazy!? lol I do have a tendency to overthink and over complicate things!
Link Posted: 2/18/2014 8:06:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Do a lot of dry fire. Even a so-so 1911 trigger is better than most tuned Glock triggers. This is the most difficult part for me. I can go from a Glock to a 1911 with no issues, but it generally takes some work to go the other way.

And replace the sights. Glock sights suck. Way too wide up front. Fortunately there are a lot of good aftermarket options of excellent quality.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 12:26:29 AM EDT
[#2]
I personally suck so I have to give you a second hand story.  My friend has worked his way up to A class with a Glock and was tickling the edges of M.  He recently bought a 2011 and after a little practice secured that.  When he picks up the Glock now he wonders how he made it that far.

I carry the G19 , its a great gun.
Link Posted: 5/23/2014 5:01:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I have neither, so I cannot help you on that part. I compete with what I carry (or a similar gun), so I do get that.

You have to look at what YOU want to get out of it.  If you are just a practice competitor, and you are going to carry a Glock, then I would start competing with the Glock.
Link Posted: 5/25/2014 3:28:20 AM EDT
[#4]
It was the second shot in a double-tap' or 'controlled pair' that always got me swapping back and forth between a glock and a high cap 1911.

With the Glock there is no double tapping, it is a very deliberate second shot. more like you would in a revolver.
That is the only significant difference. There are other minor differences, like you have to really drive the Glock harder. They bounce around a lot more if you let them.
Link Posted: 5/25/2014 11:06:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It was the second shot in a double-tap' or 'controlled pair' that always got me swapping back and forth between a glock and a high cap 1911.

With the Glock there is no double tapping, it is a very deliberate second shot. more like you would in a revolver.
That is the only significant difference. There are other minor differences, like you have to really drive the Glock harder. They bounce around a lot more if you let them.
View Quote

I agree. You have to grip a Glock hard to keep the sights from jumping around, not just up and down but sideways, too much.

I plan to eventually go to a 2011 based open gun from a Glock.
Link Posted: 5/30/2014 8:00:25 AM EDT
[#6]
as others have commented, the trigger will take some time... I shot a 1911 single stack and Para .45 in USPSA for about 25years before switching to a G17 and currently a G34...you will need a good set of sights...  my 9mm Glocks shoot considerably more accurately with 147 grain bullets over the 115s.... it took me 3 or 4 matches to get used to the trigger... pay attention to allowing the trigger to just reset, especially on long shots... you really have to concentrate to hold a good sight picture on long steel
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top