Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/9/2013 8:05:28 AM EDT
Well like I've heard a few people say online...it's as much fun as you can have with clothes on...I gotta agree

Went to a practice last night and had a blast, might try out my first match this Sunday.  I think I could really get addicted to this.  Now only if I had some friends that were into shooting like I was....oh well guess I'll have to make some while shooting matches/practices.
Link Posted: 8/10/2013 11:40:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Glad you enjoyed it. I was like you at first and didnt have may friends that would shoot with me.. Well that didnt matter. I have made many great friends from people I have shot USPSA with over the past few years.. Enjoy and good luck in your first match!!!
Link Posted: 8/11/2013 9:31:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I showed up at my first match knowing nobody.  I got lucky in my squad choice and now I have some new friends to shoot with.
Link Posted: 8/16/2013 11:17:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Went to practice again last night and had even more fun than the first time.  Best run was 5.79 power factor on a 20 round course, my reloads are going much smoother now which helped keeping my time down.

Should go to my first official match in the next couple of weeks.
Link Posted: 8/18/2013 9:37:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I showed up at my first match knowing nobody.  I got lucky in my squad choice and now I have some new friends to shoot with.
View Quote

Similar experience but I was placed with a VERY experienced group. Great people but ended up making new friends with a group of return shooters that haven't competed in a few years.
Link Posted: 8/20/2013 12:16:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Many shooters hope to go to these things together with friends,  and won't do so without one.  It sad, because i have come to realize that like any hobby or comp, your friends just might not have the same passion, time or budget.  Its when you join clubs , and do things and meet new freinds that have the same passion as you do, then it gets really fun

I have met so many great people doing IDPA and USPSA.  blue collar, white collar, we all share the same passion.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 12:57:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Well I tried my hand at an actual match yesterday.....while I had fun...yah I didn't do so hot

Of course I started on one of the hardest stages and was first up to shoot the stage, got stuck about half way through on a Texas star that drained every last round off my belt.  After I was scored the RO said I should have given up after a handful of shots and engaged the rest of them to get more points and came back.  Live and learn.

I found that all these courses of fire were much harder than the practices I've been attending but obviously they have been helping.  Gonna keep at it, I think some better sights are in order soon though, the stock XD sights leave much to be desired.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 1:29:12 PM EDT
[#7]
I got hooked on USPSA in March '12, and shoot with quite a few people from this board on the regular now. Great group of people that has spawned an addiction.

For cheap practice, I recommend Steve Anderson's books on dry fire. You'll learn more without firing a single round which in turn makes shooting that much more fun. He has a good podcast to listen to also: andersonshooting.libsyn.com

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 7:08:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Well I tried my hand at an actual match yesterday.....while I had fun...yah I didn't do so hot

Of course I started on one of the hardest stages and was first up to shoot the stage, got stuck about half way through on a Texas star that drained every last round off my belt.  After I was scored the RO said I should have given up after a handful of shots and engaged the rest of them to get more points and came back.  Live and learn.

I found that all these courses of fire were much harder than the practices I've been attending but obviously they have been helping.  Gonna keep at it, I think some better sights are in order soon though, the stock XD sights leave much to be desired.
View Quote

It may have been better to leave and come back but you have to learn some time. They may have already shared with you to start from the top of the star so it doesn't start swinging too bad. Then it is like any other target. Put your front sight on a plate and shoot. They are easiest to pick off at the end of an arc when it pauses before switching directions.

Focus on being smooth rather than fast and make your hits. Get to 90-95% of the points and then gradually pick up the speed.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 10:24:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 3:25:43 PM EDT
[#10]
I checked earlier online and the results were posted...hangs head in shame  27th out of 29 in production.

Most stages I finished pretty far down on the list besides the last stage I shot, landed right in the middle of the pack.

Gonna have to step up next match here in 2 weeks.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 8:43:33 PM EDT
[#11]
No shame in that! I have found the key is to set obtainable goals for yourself each match. My first match goal was not to finish last.
Link Posted: 10/1/2013 12:19:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Shot my 2nd match on Sunday, finished 24th out of the 40 production shooters so improving  Out of the 9 stages, I shot all of them pretty well but 2.

Link Posted: 10/3/2013 7:43:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Shot my 2nd match on Sunday, finished 24th out of the 40 production shooters so improving  Out of the 9 stages, I shot all of them pretty well but 2.

View Quote

Here are a couple more tips, especially since you mentioned the division....

Make sure to shoot alphas. Don't shot at "brown" because charlies will kill you shooting minor.
Plan your reloads. Mostly, if your feet are moving you should be reloading. Standing reloads are death.
Shoot slow but do everything else fast. Now to contradict that, be aware of the appropriate speed to shoot each target. Far targets, targets with no shoots, go slowerer. extra er for emphasis
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 9:18:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I checked earlier online and the results were posted...hangs head in shame  27th out of 29 in production.

Most stages I finished pretty far down on the list besides the last stage I shot, landed right in the middle of the pack.

Gonna have to step up next match here in 2 weeks.
View Quote

They only way to get better is to keep going. Having fun is all that counts. This is a sport that you get what you put into it. And you can put what you want. You have to decide what you want to get out of it. I learned more about shooting a pistol in 6 months of shooting USPSA than I did in 10 years of shooting a pistol. I've meet some great friends and met my wife through the sport.
Link Posted: 11/13/2013 6:40:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/13/2013 10:12:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/13/2013 10:55:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 7:13:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Where do I need to go to get into this kind of shooting? I would love to give it a try. Im in PA
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 7:21:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 1:47:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Where do I need to go to get into this kind of shooting? I would love to give it a try. Im in PA
View Quote

What area of PA?
NEPA
SE
Philly?
Cen?
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 3:08:48 PM EDT
[#21]
I bounce back and forth from south central PA and Pittsburgh area.
Link Posted: 12/19/2013 11:27:46 AM EDT
[#22]
I have shot the area 8 in monroville and East Hunt­ing­don  both  were well put on.

http://westernpasection.com/wordpress/
https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=210835242473978827741.000488129f7fe016734d2
Link Posted: 1/12/2014 3:24:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Shot my first USPSA match (actually first competitive event ever) yesterday.  Four stages due to rain and muddy conditions.  I got all "A" hits, no misses, but my time was abysmal.

I went in with the goal to be very deliberate at the expense of speed, and it shows.  Need to pick up the pace next match.

Link Posted: 1/12/2014 3:51:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Your time will be best spent on the brian enos forum, lots to learn there.If you are looking for the best improvement technique , it all boils down to 2 little words, ready? Sure? Can not be over emphasized enough.------------------------

DRY FIRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 12:32:21 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Shot my first USPSA match (actually first competitive event ever) yesterday.  Four stages due to rain and muddy conditions.  I got all "A" hits, no misses, but my time was abysmal.

View Quote

I went in with the goal to be very deliberate at the expense of speed, and it shows.  Need to pick up the pace next match.

I have shot four matches now.  My average match % is 69.25

What does that mean, if anything?
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 8:54:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

it depends on the competiton that showed up.  you shot 69% of the top shooter in your division.   What you need to do is to calculate the classifiers and then take the average and that will be where you are classfied.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 12:52:57 PM EDT
[#27]
This is giving me an uncontrollable itch.  I've been shooting IDPA here and there and the rules being so complicated is getting a little annoying.  I think I'm going to like USPSA better.
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 11:37:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top