Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/8/2017 12:57:52 AM EDT
Hello all, well, I used to shoot, about 10 years ago, and made Master and had 10 leg points, but then went on a long term overseas work assignment and now everything's changed... I see a SCOPE is allowed in Service Rifle now, good lord.  And a flat top upper too.  Hmm.. I reckon that's ok for shooting leg matches too.  

I still have most of my stuff.  One rifle with a pretty new barrel, fast twist enough for 90 grains.. I wonder if that's still a fad?  A Dillon 550 set up with a glass bedded plate (die holder) and lots of Sinclair goodies.  Yes I glass bedded my Dillon 550.  Really.  

Doubt I have my coat anymore, and I'll need so many other things... but, I wanna get back in.  I see the thread lower down, it has some good info. Let me ask you fellas my first question, I'm sure there will be more...

Now that scopes are allowed in Service Rifle... is it much harder for non-scoped rifles to win or get leg points?  I'd rather just keep shooting open sights if I could.  Thoughts?  (my plan was initially to leg out with an AR, then do the same (in practice) with an M14, then an M1.... I may still aspire to do that...
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 6:25:57 AM EDT
[#1]
You can be competitive with irons although you will probably find that your eyes are ten years older and going to some type of optic is not a bad idea. By the time you need a new barrel, you can upgrade to a new flat top upper and scope.

Jump back into it, shooting a good score is still satisfying. There certainly have been some mind blowing scores with optics, but those shooters doing so would have been 490+ even with irons.

B
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 6:42:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Texas' newest DR is a junior who legged out at Camp Perry with a 483/500 using irons.

At the last full size match I didn't play in, I shot a 770/800 with irons.

You might try a practice upper with an inexpensive scope like a Nikon P-223, or a 3 MOA red dot. They make it easier to diagnose and refine positions and fundamentals which should transfer to irons.

ETA: 77gr SMK for short range and 80gr SMK or Berger for midrange has been the usual combo. A 1:7 can spin the Sierra 90gr, but no one uses them. I'm a little surprised the 77gr TMK hasn't become "the load".
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 7:12:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Wow OP, it's been about that long for me as well.

Damn. You can use an ACOG now.

I scanned quickly through the rules and didn't see any specifics on railed free floated hand guards.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 7:42:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I scanned quickly through the rules and didn't see any specifics on railed free floated hand guards.
View Quote
Needs at least half-length Picatinny rails at 12, 3, 6, and 9:00, no wider/taller than 2.25", and the sling swivel fixed at 6:00 13" or 8" from the front of the magwell (M16A4 and M4 setups, respectively).

ETA: heh, I saw a guy showing off his match "service rifle" to some juniors and got some " oh that's nice" responses. A parent brought out his zombie camo'd A4gery with TA11 to get some tips on upgrades, but that got more finger diddling and " that's cool!" responses.

Edit: 2.25", not 2.5".
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 7:51:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Needs at least half-length Picatinny rails at 12, 3, 6, and 9:00, no wider/taller than 2.5", and the sling swivel fixed at 6:00 13" or 8" from the front of the magwell (M16A4 and M4 setups, respectively).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Needs at least half-length Picatinny rails at 12, 3, 6, and 9:00, no wider/taller than 2.5", and the sling swivel fixed at 6:00 13" or 8" from the front of the magwell (M16A4 and M4 setups, respectively).
Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 8:36:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Don't get me wrong, it's not like I'm one of those (blessed) guys who the last time they shot service rifle they were shooting a bedded Garand.  No, my two ARs weigh near 18 lbs each, both from White Oak Precision.  Maybe I said it (can't see here) but I had one upper set up for 90SMKs, but someone said they never get used... hmm...  

And that M14 of mine, I've forgotten the builder, but it's bedded front and rear, composite stock and unitized gas system, she's ready to go too. I just need a few odds and ends...
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 6:12:08 PM EDT
[#7]
The new 90gr Sierras (they changed them about a year and a half ago) shoot very well. I had a 200-7X @ 600 on Sunday with them.  

B
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 2:18:31 PM EDT
[#8]
We'll see if I use 'em. I think I have some of the old ones, but if they re-designed them, that means the old ones maybe didn't perform so well.  I have SO much to re-learn.. so much... I have forgotten how to work brass, set my loads, all of that. I probably need to run a year with 77's and 80's before I step up to 90's again, as I recall the jump to the rifling was significantly different.. like I said, so much to re-learn.  And I have to work on all my positions again, etc.. It'll come, I learned it once, I can learn it again.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:41:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Ya snapped in yet?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top