Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2017 6:18:09 PM EDT
I know Bill Geissele has a wonderful free float 4 rail handguard for service rifle , but its a bit out of my budget at the moment, I have Daniel Defense rail in my gun room I was thinking of using it on my next build for this year. Any ideas on how to add weight? I was think maybe some lead tape somehow.
chuck
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 3:40:57 PM EDT
[#1]
With the rules Ive been contemplating the same thing with my DDRail. Figure I could fab something and just bolt it to the top rail. It wont be aestethic but it would add weight. Perhaps some rail covers in lead? Or if you want mill the rail for lead inserts like the Marines did. I have a DDM4 12.0 rail that is no longer produced so Im not going to do that. Perhaps a foregrip with weight? I dont see anything in the rules prohibiting it or a flashlight.
Meanwhile I learned to shoot without any weights
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 6:27:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
With the rules Ive been contemplating the same thing with my DDRail. Figure I could fab something and just bolt it to the top rail. It wont be aestethic but it would add weight. Perhaps some rail covers in lead? Or if you want mill the rail for lead inserts like the Marines did. I have a DDM4 12.0 rail that is no longer produced so Im not going to do that. Perhaps a foregrip with weight? I dont see anything in the rules prohibiting it or a flashlight.
Meanwhile I learned to shoot without any weights
View Quote

Eeeyup. I shot with a rear weight for a while, suddenly had a drop off in standing, so added a front weight, but that was just a bandaid. Got my scores and confidence back up, then tried without any weights and shot the same scores so figured why wear myself and the rest of my gear more than I need to?

My opinion on accessories is for any match above "local", they would have to be arranged so they don't act as handstops or otherwise provide artificial support and that's probably not possible in all positions without removal and replacement. I don't wanna hear shooters bitching about losing even more stuff or making more excuses. And I bet the CMP doesn't either. Optics and stocks rocked the boat enough last year and this year.

Besides, the next big "thing" would be attaining an optimal left-right balance to be a top shooter.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 11:47:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Actually did a little shooting yesterday. I am at 11.6 pounds unloaded without adding weight. I didnt get to the long line but my Off-Hand scores were decent. I have been using my ACOG for now but I have another 4x hopefully en-route for the season.
Right now the Rifle is VERY well balanced, it is a Daniel Defense upper and WOA Barrel with the older style M4 Light rail Gen 1 I think. It is heavier the my Original M4 12" rail like was mentioned above that I have on my DMR, the one with the slip ring collar and I believe is heavier than later generations of the same rail.
I have not shot any CMP rifle now in a couple years. Been focused one Pistol, but want to start shooting it again this year. In the past I always had my rifles set up with a little more weight to the rear or right over my body and not too much front heavy. I may try one of the new weights for the UBR and see if that helps or hurts but after shooting it yesterday, I am not as worried about the weight as I thought. still would like the option though to add weight up front. MAybe some Rail covers with lead in them........ time to get creative in my down time, dry fire practice only last so long....

cp
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top