Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/14/2016 12:00:18 PM EDT
So.....
I have been shooting Bullseye for 5 years, went Distinguished last year with an M9 Ball Gun. I have been struggling to shoot a 1911 for NRA 45 this entire time. Dont get me wrong, my scores are decent but no where near my scores with an M9 Ball gun. I have had multiple coaches and tried many a techniques and for some reason, me and 1911's just don't get along. Last year during practice at Inter-Service I pulled out my M&P45 which is stock except for an APEX Sear and Ultimate Striker Block and shot the below in a Timed fire. This is a very similar group to what I am getting with my M9 Ball Gun.

It would appear I just shoot fatter gripped guns better. I DO NOT have large hands. I think it boils down to experience and muscle memory for me. I cut my teeth on an M9 years ago and double stack guns just allow me to maintain a better mental focus and game during a match. Trust me, I have a decent mental game (still needs some work) and I have tried fatter grips on the 1911 and a whole lot of other things, I believe this is just where I am.
Barring spending $2500 on a Pardini 45 which I cannot afford. I am thinking M&P 45 with APEX Flat trigger and Competition Enhancement kit and some type of Adjustable rear sight or possibly having the rear slide cut for an RMR of some kind as S&W does not offer a CORE in 45 yet that I am aware of.

I am trying to find a decent Adjustable rear site  and am also interested in your opinions from those who have experienced the same or similar dilemma. I will most likely continue to shoot my m9 Ball gun for CMP and Centerfire unless this project pans out.

Your Thoughts?   I mean........ Its not a Glock right?

Chuck
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 3:27:07 PM EDT
[#1]

Can you hold the black at 50?

ETA: what's your load?
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 4:14:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, but it would be helpful to be able to adjust a couple clicks up.
We are shooting Atlanta Arms Elite 185gr WAD (JHP)
chuck
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 7:55:20 PM EDT
[#3]
You should shoot at 50 yards and get back to us.  I don't believe the gun is capable of it unless you've changed the barrel.

Also, how the heck are you able to go distinguished?  Do you have a bunch of really poor shots in your club that you can reliably beat?  I'll likely never be good enough to shoot at the level of the people I would need to beat in order to go distinguished.
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 8:38:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Also, how the heck are you able to go distinguished?  Do you have a bunch of really poor shots in your club that you can reliably beat?  I'll likely never be good enough to shoot at the level of the people I would need to beat in order to go distinguished.
View Quote

You only need to shoot better than the non distinguished shooters
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 9:29:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right but isn't there a minimum quantity before points can be earned?  I think we're usually at or below the number required.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 9:47:07 AM EDT
[#6]
That's correct you only have to beat Non-distinguished to get Leg Points. I am already Distinguished. I can hold the block with this pistol at 50 but struggle on points.
My chase now is Presidents Hundred and will likely continue to shoot my M9. But for NRA 45 is what I am wanting to try this for.
Being military we can only shoot 4 matches a year toward Leg points, so it took me 3 years of focused training. I wish I could train more but life has its priorities.
Happy Shooting

cp
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top