Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/14/2016 5:15:04 PM EDT
Thinking of going with a scope to make sighting easier for me. Are any of you guys using a scope yet and if so, any particular model? I was thinking maybe a Leupold 1.25-4x with MIL or MOA dials, would make dialing easier at specific ranges.

Mark
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 4:12:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I use a 1X4 Leupold pig-plex. The inner circle is around 8 MOA perfect for the black bull with space all around.

Link Posted: 8/15/2016 4:35:33 PM EDT
[#2]
The us rifle teams national match forum has a good thread on optics reviews.

I tried the Vortex 1-4, but I wasn't sold. I'll likely try again with a different optic.
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 6:49:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I was poking about some more and saw Nightforce is making one specifically for HP. A wee bit pricey though, I would probably use a Vortex or Leupold to start. I have to change my upper to a flat top and change the fsb out for a block. I have an Armalite NM A2-I saw they don't even make it any longer? Dang, when I bought it years ago, almost got the flat top w/carry handle but thought why?
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 6:36:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a Vortex PST. Shot a 792-32X with it on Saturday. It's ok, but a few things could change. I find myself wanting 1/4s and the parallax needs to be adjusted.

If you have any kind of instructor certification, you should look at promotive.com for getting one.

B
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 6:59:07 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm using one of these 1.5-4.5x Nikon M-223 simply because I already had one. The reticle is a little thick for target work, but I've been scoring well with it.

One downside is the parallax is not adjustable.

http://shop.opticsplanet.com/nikon-p-223-1-5-4-5x20-matte-bdc600-riflescope.html?_iv_code=NI-RS-16327&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=plusbox-beta&gclid=CjwKEAjwltC9BRDRvMfD2N66nlISJACq85916qL7AbUPXdrVUOoP8VinabJJrItjEewkycN-SVDlzBoCgxTw_wcB
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 9:33:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was poking about some more and saw Nightforce is making one specifically for HP. A wee bit pricey though, I would probably use a Vortex or Leupold to start. I have to change my upper to a flat top and change the fsb out for a block. I have an Armalite NM A2-I saw they don't even make it any longer? Dang, when I bought it years ago, almost got the flat top w/carry handle but thought why?
View Quote

It is pricey because it repeats. I even bought a S&B that wouldn't. My Nightforce SR scope was awesome.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 6:54:36 AM EDT
[#7]
I hear from a birdie that Leupold is going to do the VXR patrol in moa and change the reticle for HP.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 5:57:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 2:04:37 AM EDT
[#9]
i took some pics at Perry

http://arizona-rifleshooting.com/Service-Rifle-Scopes.html

Poole
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 7:38:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Pretty cool, so looks like the Magpul stock is legal?
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 11:38:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Except the PRS.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:28:08 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm running a NF 1-4 with IHR reticle in a LaRue extended QD mount.  I forget the model, same thing as the LT-104 except the cantilever extends farther forward.  Railed gas block because it looks good, although I've run a standard front sight tower with flat top upper before and really didn't see enough of  the front sight tower in the scope to be a distraction.  And still using a standard A2 butt stock because it works for me, although when things calm down this winter I'm gonna try the Magpul UBR.

A neighbor is buying one of the NF 4.5 SR scopes, essentially because he can, although at the moment he is still running the same scope as me and shot remarkably well during NRA week at Perry this year.  He had an epiphany during CMP week, while still trying some things out, and finally figgered out what he needed to do to make things click for him.   I would in fact love to buy one of the NF 4.5 scopes but have decided to continue to run my 1-4 for at least another couple years to see what else comes along as scopes evolve.

Having said that, I had a nice chat with Dennis DeMille and he's running the 1-4 Vortex with 1/2 minute click and you ignore DeMille's advice at your peril.

The advantage of the scope to me is the improved sight picture.  The disadvantage to me, is the improved sight picture.  Every little herk 'n jerk is easily seen, especially in Standing.  I have had to relearn to "accept your wobble zone" again.

Also, there is another thread on US Rifle Teams where the NF rep and some other people recommend using a rear scope cap with a small hole drilled or punched in the exact center of the cap.  This to ensure your eye is centered on the scope tube.  I've had significant issues with this with iron sights when I get tired and loose my attention, and feel that this helps me with the scope.  

I have a very firm opinion that, contrary to what I've seen some other folks seem to think, it is essential to get your eyeball centered on the scope tube or shots will spin off call, and that the scope cap with the hole has helped me with this.  Your mileage may vary and I support your dissenting opinion if that's your version of reality.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 11:00:43 PM EDT
[#13]
I wonder if the drilled scope caps will become an NM product or be outlawed.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:21:33 PM EDT
[#14]
CMP has already approved drilled scope caps.

The error you get when not centered is due to the fixed parallax of the scope, i.e.target and reticle not on same focal plane. You can go read at usrifleteams for more info, theres been much discussion on the subject in Equipment Talk forum for quite some time; I won't try to repeat here. Its an issue on all scopes that do not have adjustable focus. The NF SR 4.5 is focused at 300 yards so parallax is very low for 200-600, almost negligible (0.21 max I think). However, when dry firing at very short range it is significant.

I use a Scatt trainer at 10 m and use a Vortex flip front cover with a 1/4" hole when training, as the max parallax at 10 m is enought to put you in the 7-8 ring if not centered consistently. You can have a hole in front or back, but I find having the hole in the front increases depth of field and sharpens up the bull. I think the Vortex front flip is better quality than the Butler Creek flips which I have always thought were flimsy. This is on the new NF SR 4.5. (If you want to locate the hole in the center use the secant method, I already know geometry but you can google it...)

A buddy found some rubber washers at HD the right size and just put one under the flip cap on his rifle. Many ways to skin that cat...

10s and Xs, y'all

ETA link to NM forum www.usrifleteams.com
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 1:09:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wonder if the drilled scope caps will become an NM product or be outlawed.
View Quote

There will be a commercial product out this fall/winter.  It's much more than a drilled scope cap, and you still get the full field of view.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top