Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/17/2015 11:07:38 PM EDT
I'm cross posting this from the airgun forum.

On another airgun forum, I got the idea to host a postal highpower rifle match with air rifles.  These would be monthly and run from March through October, to accommodate those of us where winter gets too much in the way.

The idea is to shoot the NRA 80 shots for record course (with 2 sighting shots for each stage) in pretty much the same format as the NRA version of Highpower rifle.  The ranges would be reduced by 1/12th.  That is, the 200 yard stages of standing slow fire, and rapid fire sitting would be done at 50 feet, while the 300 yard prone rapid stage would be done at 25 yards, and finally the 600 yard prone slow fire at 50 yards.  

I have made PDFs of scaled targets for this with appropriate offsets for the calibers .25, .22 and .177.  I am still working on a target carrier system that one can easily build to simulate a big match, and allow the targets to be changed with a pull of a string.  I have found that one can score up to five shots fairly easily, but the entire 20 on these small targets is nearly impossible.  Given this, there needs to be some sort of way to shoot separate card for every five shots or so.

The NRA and CMP rules want the use of iron sights.  However, since few airguns in the 20 to 40 ft-lb class are equipped with provisions for good irons, scope sights will be allowed for these matches.

Magazine fed repeating PCPs would normally be required in order to get the 10 shots off in each string in the time limit for rapid fire.  However, I have a scheme for those with single shots and even spring guns to compete in their own classes with additional time limits.

Like that which is allowed in the parent NRA rules, both shooting coats and slings are allowed.  However, the shooting positions of standing, sitting or kneeling, and prone must conform to the parent rules.  That is, you may not sit on a bum bag and assume a field target sitting position where your knees help support the rifle.

So, who is interested?

BTW, I found that the .177 pellets that weigh in at 10.9 grains duplicate the wind drift at 40 yards that my .223 space gun gets with 80 grain SMKs at 600 (in MOA).  Using Chairgun Pro ( a free pellet ballistics program from Hawke Optics) and other traditional programs, you can compare wind drift for your rifle and airguns.   I have tuned my Benjamin Armada down so that it is matches pretty closely to my space gun's wind drift.  It also is close to matching in ergonomics as well.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 6:05:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Well I for one would be.
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 3:23:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I now have a PDF of the targets that I can send to those interested with the appropriate offsets.  

Here are images of what they look like.  These are the .22 caliber offset ones.  The full PDF has all three .177, .22, and .25 calibers.   Note, the bulls are left full scaled size so that the aiming bull looks exactly the same as it would at a match.  

This one shows how the offsets work compared to the just scaled target.  

If these targets are put on a 6" square backer, and several are spaced 1--1/2" apart with number boards, it gives the appearance of a match.  

I'm still working on a fairly simple and inexpensive target carrier system that will allow quick target changes.  This will allow five shots on each bull  easily, and avoid having to break position, or to move to an adjoining bull.  We don't want to practice cross firing.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 5:18:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm interested in both the match and the PDF files.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top