Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/28/2015 4:43:48 PM EDT
I am thinking of putting together a new 20" upper using a MI 12" quadrail. I have never shot highpower before, but I think I might want to start. Are these quadrails legal for service rifle use? I don't plan on being a serious competitor, I just want to improve my skills. I did a google search and it seems that there is some disagreement on whether or not you can use this type for service rifles. This is the one I am looking at...

quad rail
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 5:18:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I am thinking of putting together a new 20" upper using a MI 12" quadrail. I have never shot highpower before, but I think I might want to start. Are these quadrails legal for service rifle use? I don't plan on being a serious competitor, I just want to improve my skills. I did a google search and it seems that there is some disagreement on whether or not you can use this type for service rifles. This is the one I am looking at...

quad rail
View Quote

Back when I was shooting local DCM Highpower matches with ARs the rifle had to be externally like the standard issue Service Rifle. That meant mil-spec muzzle to butt, i.e. M16-A2, 20 inch, carry handle upper etc. There may have been some cosmetic variances allowed,  but if so I never remember seeing any. And I surely do not remember seeing any Quadrails. It is possible, if not likely, that the rules have been eased to allow for more variations in appearance in light of the fact that there are different versions that are now recognized as "service rifles"  

Armalite has a very cool solution though. They use a barrel nut and tube system that free floats the barrel by mounting the forward hand guard cap on the end of the FF tube. This allows the use of the standard GI fore-end upper and lower halves while having the benefit of FF'ing.

HTH

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 7:05:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

quad rail
View Quote

I just screwed one together last night with a G2 MI free float rail. It's legal.

You need a way to attach the front sling though. MI sells a doohicky you can use.  

B
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 7:17:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Geissele has the nice service rifle rail
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 7:33:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Been legal for a few years now.

Keystone in Pennsylvania can machine a sling swivel installation for a number of different rail systems.

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 8:38:44 PM EDT
[#5]

From the 2015 CMP SR rules - http://thecmp.org/wp-content/uploads/Rulebook.pdf:

The M16A4 quad rail or commercial equivalent hand-guard may be used. The quad rail must be 12” in length and have four rails at the 12, 3, 6 and 9 o’clock positions running the entire length of the hand-guard. The diameter of the rail must be at least 2” and not more than 2.5”. The rail may be free floating. The front sling swivel must be attached to the front end of the hand-guard. The standard A-frame front sight must be fixed in the as-issued position on the barrel. Plastic covers may be used on the mounting rails on the hand-guard.
View Quote

At some point, I remember seeing that the sling swivel had to be within 0.5" of the end of the handguard or perhaps the A-frame.

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 9:47:42 PM EDT
[#6]
With the current draft of the 2016 Service rifle rules pretty much everything is going to be legal as long as its AR-15 based, 5.56, maximum 20" barrel, standard grip, fixed butt-plate and cheek piece. The rest, have at it.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:37:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just screwed one together last night with a G2 MI free float rail.B
View Quote

Is the G2 worth the extra few bucks over the regular T series? Is it a more secure mount?

I keep going back and forth between the G2 and the regular.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 11:45:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Is the G2 worth the extra few bucks over the regular T series? Is it a more secure mount?

I keep going back and forth between the G2 and the regular.
View Quote

I don't know anything about the T series. Looks like it just screws on to the barrel nut so you have to time it with a jam ring which is probably a little more fiddly than the G2. The G2 has a barrel nut with a long section that the float tube slips onto and it then clamped with two socket headed cap screws. There is actually a split in the tube right under the chamber, and the cap screws draw the two sides together and clamp the barrel nut. There are also teeth that index into the barrel nut to keep it from rotating. It's a little hokey.

It works. You are supposed to use some locktite on it to make sure it does not move. It's only 14 ounces too, so for a lighter build it's ok. I have another gun with a Geissele Mark 7 NM and that is a slick tube without any need to time the barrel nut. You time the handguard and that's it. It's much heavier though.

If the rules for SR end up being really screwed up, I'm probably going to use a Gen 3 from MI.

B
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 10:01:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Here is my MI G2. Thought I had a pic of my MI sling stud on it.  It's located 6'o-clock on the first spot behind FSB. The scope is now on my 18 SBR. Love the set up with A4 carry handle.  I may put a 4 or 4.5 power scope on it later.

Edit for links:
MI gen2 two piece
MCTAR-07 sling stud
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 10:53:47 AM EDT
[#10]
I just ordered my MI T series G2 yesterday. Now I just have to wait for all my parts to arrive in the mail.
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 3:07:53 PM EDT
[#11]
I like the Larue thought there is a gap between the FSB and the rail end
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 2:03:09 PM EDT
[#12]
The only downside with Quadrails is they are ( Quality ones ) more expensive than a $99 RRA DCM Free Float tube. If you are wanting to build from scratch optic sighted high power AR a standard DCM A4 is prob the best way to go.

What I did on mine ( spare 20 rifle I have with a quadrail ) for a forward sling swivel was bolt on a front M14 forward sling swivel. Hole pattern lined up perfect with rail cuts, width of M14 forward swivel is same width as rail top surface, swivel is farther forward in a more correct position..The aftermarket bolt on swivels are either cheap junk and or too expensive....

Link Posted: 1/3/2016 5:27:16 PM EDT
[#13]
BRILLIANT!!!
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 6:35:59 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm struggling with buying an RRA NM A$ upper and building a matching lower or using the spare KAC FF rifle length RAS I have and using that for the upper (or use it for a SAM-R build).  or both?
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 4:03:45 PM EDT
[#15]
I've been out of the high power game for a while, but we used to have lead weights wrapped around the float tube under the handguards, did shooters quit doing that, or how are they done with quad rails?
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 6:43:56 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I've been out of the high power game for a while, but we used to have lead weights wrapped around the float tube under the handguards, did shooters quit doing that, or how are they done with quad rails?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I thought Geissele had weights you could screw on as rail covers or underneath their rail?
Yup. https://geissele.com/12-7-super-modular-rail-mk7-black.html

Along with the rail system, lead weight bars can be purchased separately
and fastened in the 3 and 9 o’clock positions to add weight as needed
to balance the rifle per the shooters preference. The weights and sling
bar can also be modified per the user to have any undesired excess
weight trimmed off and reinstalled. The rail system is completely free
floating and is mounted to the weapon platform via Geissele’s rock solid
2 ¼” barrel nut design.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top