Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/24/2015 10:33:22 AM EDT
I apologize if this is a dupe.

Apparently the CMP is considering the use of a 4X scope next year for Service Rifle?

Interesting stuff, Not saying I agree or disagree, have to think about it more but this is indeed an interesting development if it holds.

cp
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 11:15:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 4:45:42 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

good

View Quote

Aye.

Link Posted: 7/24/2015 10:03:36 PM EDT
[#3]
damn...just bought new irons for my detach. carry handle
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 11:35:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
good

View Quote

Yeah, double the price of entry into the sport.  I'm sure that will attract lots of new people....
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 1:47:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 2:17:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I don't think it means they are eliminating iron sight divisions
View Quote

There won't be "divisions".
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 7:03:18 PM EDT
[#7]
NRA is allowing an "optics" division for service rifles now and yes, they compete in a separate class. Currently anyone shooting in the "optics" division can't use those scores for classification purposes.

I genuinely doubt the CMP will allow scopes to be fired without separating them and their scores from the iron sight shooters.

Actually allowing scopes on service rifles was intended to extend the shooting careers for old guys like me. Not as an advantage to be more competitive in an already competitive event. I love iron sights, I just can't see them and the target. My prescriptions will allow one or the other not both. This loss of close range focus is common starting around forty years of age and it gets worse as time goes on. I'm knocking on 60 now and I need 2.75 magnifiers to read, 1.5's to walk around.

Most service rifle shooters are purists and love the simplicity of a good iron sight rifle. I use to be amazed at how well they shot until I was unable to see them well. I have shot cleans at every range except offhand. My personal best high power score was 489/500 fired in 1989. I struggle between 465 to 475 nowadays because I can't see. I fired a 482/500 two years ago on an open range (no roof over the shooting position) and I believe it was because of more light on my sights. My home club has a 200 yard reduced course with covered firing points that really make it hard for me to see well.

Nobody is going to make anyone shoot a scope just because they are allowed. Everyone will continue to respect good iron sight shooters even if better scores are fired using scopes. In reality every branch of the U.S. Armed Forces are going into the field with ACOG's, Aimpoints, EoTech or Leupold scopes mounted. It would make sense to allow a separate division to compete with what's being used.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 10:03:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
NRA is allowing an "optics" division for service rifles now and yes, they compete in a separate class. Currently anyone shooting in the "optics" division can't use those scores for classification purposes.

I genuinely doubt the CMP will allow scopes to be fired without separating them and their scores from the iron sight shooters.
View Quote

If they classify it as a Service Rifle, it's a Service Rifle.  CMP doesn't do separate divisions.  How would that work, anyway?  An optics and an irons Distinguished badge?
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 12:51:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

If they classify it as a Service Rifle, it's a Service Rifle.  CMP doesn't do separate divisions.  How would that work, anyway?  An optics and an irons Distinguished badge?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's going to be up to the CMP. CMP has a long history of iron sight only competition. IF they allow scopes they will almost surely be under a separate awards category.

I think Individuals shooting irons will allows be top dogs.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 3:11:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Actually allowing scopes on service rifles was intended to extend the shooting careers for old guys like me. Not as an advantage to be more competitive in an already competitive event. I love iron sights, I just can't see them and the target. My prescriptions will allow one or the other not both. This loss of close range focus is common starting around forty years of age and it gets worse as time goes on. I'm knocking on 60 now and I need 2.75 magnifiers to read, 1.5's to walk around.

Most service rifle shooters are purists and love the simplicity of a good iron sight rifle. I use to be amazed at how well they shot until I was unable to see them well. I have shot cleans at every range except offhand. My personal best high power score was 489/500 fired in 1989. I struggle between 465 to 475 nowadays because I can't see. I fired a 482/500 two years ago on an open range (no roof over the shooting position) and I believe it was because of more light on my sights. My home club has a 200 yard reduced course with covered firing points that really make it hard for me to see well.

Nobody is going to make anyone shoot a scope just because they are allowed. Everyone will continue to respect good iron sight shooters even if better scores are fired using scopes. In reality every branch of the U.S. Armed Forces are going into the field with ACOG's, Aimpoints, EoTech or Leupold scopes mounted. It would make sense to allow a separate division to compete with what's being used.
View Quote

My understanding was there would not be a seperate division. But again, I could be wrong. I was not able to be there for Rifle this year, but I was there for Pistol Week when this was being talked about.  

cp
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 6:50:50 PM EDT
[#11]
No divisions. The initiative was driven by the CMP to increase participation. Next year, you will be able to use a 1x-4x scope for EIC, President's 100, and any other CMP matches. It remains to be seen what the NRA rules say.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 7:23:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
No divisions. The initiative was driven by the CMP to increase participation. Next year, you will be able to use a 1x-4x scope for EIC, President's 100, and any other CMP matches. It remains to be seen what the NRA rules say.
View Quote

If anyone would know this guy would. I'm not sure I like the idea if they aren't under a separate awards category.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 9:08:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

If anyone would know this guy would. I'm not sure I like the idea if they aren't under a separate awards category.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And you aren't alone in that.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:04:00 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm not terribly familiar with the tacticool stuff in use today- are there any scopes with quick adjust windage and elev. knobs similar to the sights we use that stand up to constant use?
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:05:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Yeah, double the price of entry into the sport.  I'm sure that will attract lots of new people....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
good

It broadens the scope () to include older shooters with bad eyes.

Like David Tubb.

But that probably doesn't have anything to do with it...
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:13:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

It broadens the scope () to include older shooters with bad eyes.

Like David Tubb.

But that probably doesn't have anything to do with it...
View Quote

I doubt Tubb has shot SR in decades.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 4:24:35 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I doubt Tubb has shot SR in decades.
View Quote

He legged out in the 70s.

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 4:30:16 AM EDT
[#18]
As someone who can barely hit the 300m target w/ Uncle's M4 & Aimpoint, this sounds interesting.  Will red dots & 3x or 4x magnifiers be allowed?
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 9:03:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Interesting.  I personally know my standing stage will not improve with a scope and it won't help my wind calls.  However if the reticle was some  type of doughnut that gave a similar sight picture to a match rifle that would improve my scores.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 10:09:04 AM EDT
[#20]
1-4X!

Make it 1-6... I love my Razor HD!
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 10:40:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
damn...just bought new irons for my detach. carry handle
View Quote

Me too! I had all the parts picked out for my CMP build. Time to put on the breaks and wait.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 10:42:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 10:50:57 AM EDT
[#23]
I built up my rifle for Tactical Rifle in HP so its 7lbs soaking wet before the razor goes on top.

It looks like these two categories are divergent right now in relation to the CMP optic rules vs the any sight tactical rifle HP rules.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 11:54:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 11:29:18 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

At 25 ounces that scope would make it tough to keep the rifle within the proposed 11.5lb weight limit.  I hope when the actual rules are written that they reevaluate this weight limit issue.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

1-4X!

Make it 1-6... I love my Razor HD!

At 25 ounces that scope would make it tough to keep the rifle within the proposed 11.5lb weight limit.  I hope when the actual rules are written that they reevaluate this weight limit issue.

Where'd you hear about a weight limit?

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:25:27 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 4:56:31 PM EDT
[#27]
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6134473
Service Rifle:

1) The only alibis that will be permitted are range alibis (no fault of the shooter).

2) Optics will be allowed on rifles that weigh 11.5 lbs., total with
optic installed. Optics will only be allowed on the AR platform. The
optic maximum magnification will be 4.5 power. There will not be a
separate category for optical sighted ARs.

3) No weight limit on iron sighted, non-optical sighted ARs, i.e. you
can shoot the current configured service rifle just as it is with no
weight restrictions.

4) Only .223/5.56 NATO will be allowed for ARs, .308/7.62 NATO for M14 platforms, .308/7.62 NATO or .30/06 for M1 Garands.

5) M-4 type stocks will be allowed on the AR platforms.
View Quote

1. Good. Even the Games do that.

2. Seems to negate some of the perceived advantage in prone by making offhand more difficult.

3. I think lead shouldn't be allowed anyways, but okay.

4. AR10 wasn't standard issue, so okay.

5. I think if they do that, it should only be on 14.5"/16" carbines which ought to be on the proposal list. Still need to specify which "M4" stocks.

Link Posted: 9/7/2015 7:14:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

2. Seems to negate some of the perceived advantage in prone by making offhand more difficult.

5. I think if they do that, it should only be on 14.5"/16" carbines which ought to be on the proposal list. Still need to specify which "M4" stocks.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Service Rifle:
1) The only alibis that will be permitted are range alibis (no fault of the shooter).

2) Optics will be allowed on rifles that weigh 11.5 lbs., total with optic installed. Optics will only be allowed on the AR platform. The optic maximum magnification will be 4.5 power. There will not be a separate category for optical sighted ARs.

3) No weight limit on iron sighted, non-optical sighted ARs, i.e. you can shoot the current configured service rifle just as it is with no weight restrictions.

4) Only .223/5.56 NATO will be allowed for ARs, .308/7.62 NATO for M14 platforms, .308/7.62 NATO or .30/06 for M1 Garands.

5) M-4 type stocks will be allowed on the AR platforms.

You forgot to note that these are the "proposed changes". It's not a done deal yet.
Link Posted: 10/16/2015 10:51:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Does anyone know when they will make a decision?
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 12:03:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Interesting. I have a colt 3x carry handle scope and an acog to compete with.
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 12:29:56 PM EDT
[#31]
I recently built myself a match service rifle. Wanting to try high power next year, problem is I am extremely nearsighted. Shooting irons at 200 yds no problem, 300 is getting tough , at 600 yds forget it, I can see the black ok but I can't verify my lane # board so I'm very concerned about cross shooting. I swapped out the irons for a Bushnell AR 1-4x optic and the optic allows me to shoot 600 confidently. So obviously I'm hoping the optic rule gets put into action at my club. We should have a ruling any time now.
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 2:35:43 PM EDT
[#32]
ost

Link Posted: 10/20/2015 2:45:55 PM EDT
[#33]
I legged out in pistol this year. I hope to finish rifle in my next few matches. I don't like all these changes. The idea is to get more people involved, but I haven't sen that happen yet. Maybe it will though.
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 2:52:52 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

I legged out in pistol this year. I hope to finish rifle in my next few matches. I don't like all these changes. The idea is to get more people involved, but I haven't sen that happen yet. Maybe it will though.
View Quote
Congrats on the pistol!!!  

Link Posted: 10/20/2015 6:47:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you. Like other really good goals, it was impossible, improbable, unlikely, possible, probable, eventual, and then inevitable.
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 2:44:57 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:  5. I think if they do that, it should only be on 14.5"/16" carbines which ought to be on the proposal list. Still need to specify which "M4" stocks.  
View Quote

Why limit collapsible stocks to short bbl carbines?  M16A2s are being issued w/ collapsible stocks, & full length rail systems.
Link Posted: 10/22/2015 7:03:05 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Why limit collapsible stocks to short bbl carbines?  M16A2s are being issued w/ collapsible stocks, & full length rail systems.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:  5. I think if they do that, it should only be on 14.5"/16" carbines which ought to be on the proposal list. Still need to specify which "M4" stocks.  

Enough to be considered "standard issue"? From my view, A2/A4 - fixed stock, and M4 - collapsible.

Don't matter now though.

Link Posted: 10/24/2015 3:33:46 PM EDT
[#38]
CMP RULE CHANGES 2016
http://thecmp.org/2016-cmp-rifle-and-pistol-rule-changes/
There ya go.
Mike B
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 6:10:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Like other really good goals, it was impossible, improbable, unlikely, possible, probable, eventual, and then inevitable.
View Quote

I like it.
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 10:28:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Enough to be considered "standard issue"? From my view, A2/A4 - fixed stock, and M4 - collapsible.

Don't matter now though.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't matter now though.  

Tallil, late 2011 - the camera's date was wrong:

An engineer's M16A2, modified by their armorer w/ a standard kit.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 3:21:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
CMP RULE CHANGES 2016
There ya go.
Mike B
View Quote

A new posting on the CMP website is saying the weight restriction is gone. All service rifles have no weight restrictions, optic or not.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 7:02:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

A new posting on the CMP website is saying the weight restriction is gone. All service rifles have no weight restrictions, optic or not.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
CMP RULE CHANGES 2016
There ya go.
Mike B

Linky? I can't seem to find it.

Thanks,

B
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 7:26:19 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Thanks,

B
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

CMP RULE CHANGES 2016

There ya go.

Mike B

Thanks,

B
Link still says there is a weight limit

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top