Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2015 10:11:51 PM EDT
Would anyone be interested in an ARFCOM Monthy High Power Postal Match?  A postal match is an honor-system match shot on a standardized target at your home range.  Here's what I had in mind...

Download and print this NRA SR-1 target, which simulates the 200 yard target for shooting at 100 yards.  At this scale, the X-ring is 1.35 inches, the 10-ring is 3.35 inches, the 9-ring is 6.35 inches, and the 8-ring is 9.35 inches.  Shooters take 5 shots at the target (only because I think 10 would be messy on one target without pasters) from the standing, sitting, or prone.  If you want to shoot all three positions, use three separate targets.  Even the prone is shot at the reduced 200 yard target in an attempt to make this simple.

After shooting, competitors score their targets; label with user name, date, and position; and then post pictures.  At the end of the month, we announce the top shooter at standing, sitting, prone, and 3-position.

Thoughts?  Alternate proposals?  Rules lawyering?
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 10:31:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I would play!!
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 5:45:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I would play but all my targets would be at 200yds. I rarely shoot under that. Some of the 300 rapid and 600 yd slow would be shot at 300yds.

All my entries would come from the actual competitions that I shoot monthly.

EBR666
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 6:46:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would play but all my targets would be at 200yds. I rarely shoot under that. Some of the 300 rapid and 600 yd slow would be shot at 300yds.

All my entries would come from the actual competitions that I shoot monthly.

EBR666
View Quote

You're missing the point.  I could have easy asked everyone to submit their match score cards and then call it a day.  The idea is to get people out to shoot by using the most simple and practical rules possible.  And maybe in the process, someone will be motivated to go to a real match.
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 10:26:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice!  Keep it simple, I'l try.   My A2 needs to do something.
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 11:11:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Edited OP to add target source:  NRA SR-1

This month will be a dress rehearsal to work out the bugs.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 10:40:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Sounds like fun. A little distraction from a regular match. I'm game.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 2:41:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Brother Von.....

If you should any help with this....Please IM me.

Joe

Link Posted: 5/5/2015 10:03:22 PM EDT
[#8]
There is a variation that is well suited for your idea.  That is,  NRA sporting rifle.

The basic rules are as follows:

Standing eight shots slow fire in eight minutes.

Two strings of rapid fire sitting or kneeling with four shots each string.  You start with the rifle loaded at the beginning of each string.  The time is 30 seconds for the string.   The usual commands are:  "Ready on the right, ready on the left, all ready on the firing line.  Commence Fire"

Prone rapid is essentially the same as above.

Prone slow fire finishes (or starts the match as our club does it backwards).

It is a 32 shot match for record with eight shots in each position.

Sighting shots (usually five) is given before the shots for record.  It is the reason our club starts in prone, as that is how most shooters want to do the sighing shots.  It avoids the extra time needed to change set-ups for position.

Eight shots on that target are normally easy to score.

Our club also has a 50 yard version on a 1/2 sized SR-1 for rimfire and air-rifle.   I've scored at or above 310 a couple of times with my air rifle (scoped).   I often score near or slightly above 300 with centerfire (irons).

In sporting rifle, scoped rifles are allowed, as the game is intended to introduce those with deer rifles to the highpower game.

Our local club will be starting our matches later this month.  We shoot one match in May, two in June, two in July, two in August, and one in September.

Count me in for the postal match.

ETA: The complete Sporting Rifle rules are available on the NRA website.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 10:40:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If you should any help with this....Please IM me.
View Quote

I think it's pretty straightforward.  Just waiting to see if anyone posts a target.

Quoted:
There is a variation that is well suited for your idea.  That is,  NRA sporting rifle.

In sporting rifle, scoped rifles are allowed, as the game is intended to introduce those with deer rifles to the highpower game.
View Quote

I'm OK limiting it to service rifle (for now), but you're welcome to start another match.  I don't have a monopoly and there's more than enough room for competing activities.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top