Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 11:13:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 2:22:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You need to go to the Fleet and All Navy Matches at Quantico in April.  Seriously, the shooters in the Navy that you need to hook up with are all going to be there.
View Quote

Cool, I ought to be able to do that. Quantico isn't that far.

Where can I get more info?

usnst.org looks useless; it's still got 2013 and 2014 calendars up.

I ask these questions at my command and I get answers like "you have an assault rifle of your own, is that legal?"

Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 4:46:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I ask these questions at my command and I get answers like "you have an assault rifle of your own, is that legal?"

Thanks.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You need to go to the Fleet and All Navy Matches at Quantico in April.  Seriously, the shooters in the Navy that you need to hook up with are all going to be there.

Thanks.

usnst.org is where we all get the first information. It will then refer you over to odcmp.com where you will sign up for whatever part of the match(es) you want to shoot. It would be nice if the info were there now; however, the Navy is doing a lot with a shoe-string budget and has to deal with the USMC for use of the ranges. Compared with the other services, the Navy is putting on a fantastic event with a lot of volunteer help. The Army USED to do things like this; but, cut back on funding and support for Division/Camp/Post/Station/Army Area matches.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 6:39:08 PM EDT
[#4]
The Navy site is slow, but all the information will be there eventually. I've been each the past two years for pistol. It's on the chopping block each year. Hopefully, they keep finding a way to run the matches. I'm a civilian, and I've enjoyed being able to shoot there.

Link Posted: 2/17/2015 7:36:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 7:40:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 5:07:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Thanks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.

Sir, you may have already figured out how to contact the Navy shooting team folks.  However you can check out the NCRR (Norfolk County Rifle Range) web site.  You will see that we have monthly matches at the formerly Blackwater, now Academi, ranges near Moyock, NC.  You will also be able to get in touch with some of the people that will be running the matches at Quantico in April.  Capt. Ryan can provide you with all the info you need as well as hook you up with what ever equipment needs you may have.  FWIW, we plan to shoot this Saturday if the weather holds out.  Just a practice match this weekend.  Sorry but the Academi security access list for the match closed yesterday.  HTH, 7zero1.
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 5:56:52 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm glad I earned my Rifle Distinguished when you really had to earn it. They are simply making it far to easy to earn points now. I earned mine back in 1988 when you could only shoot 1 or 2 EIC plus Camp perry each year.

It my be me but I feel they are making the Distinguished badge cheaper by these rule changes.

But then that's me.

EBR666
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 6:31:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm glad I earned my Rifle Distinguished when you really had to earn it. They are simply making it far to easy to earn points now. I earned mine back in 1988 when you could only shoot 1 or 2 EIC plus Camp perry each year.

It my be me but I feel they are making the Distinguished badge cheaper by these rule changes.

But then that's me.

EBR666
View Quote

As someone who doesn't have distinguished points, I'm thrilled at being able to shoot 2 extra matches - each of which I still have to be in the top 10%.  I'm sorry if you think it cheapens it, but I've been practicing like crazy now, and should I ever actually successfully get a badge, I won't feel like it's any cheaper than any one else's.  It means I shot in top 10% in enough matches, plus was top shooter in a big match.  This is particularly important since I'm not a young man any more, and want to get this moving before my eye's decide this is no longer an option.  

I wish we had the older rules where I could leg at out some local 6 man match, but they changed that a while ago, and now I have to have a big leg. That "big" leg intimidates the Hell out of me.  How am I supposed to go from not good enough -  to OK, you get something -  to OK, you were the best non-distinguished shooter at a fairly large match.?
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 8:58:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

usnst.org is where we all get the first information. It will then refer you over to odcmp.com where you will sign up for whatever part of the match(es) you want to shoot. It would be nice if the info were there now; however, the Navy is doing a lot with a shoe-string budget and has to deal with the USMC for use of the ranges. Compared with the other services, the Navy is putting on a fantastic event with a lot of volunteer help. The Army USED to do things like this; but, cut back on funding and support for Division/Camp/Post/Station/Army Area matches.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.

Correction. The Atlantic Fleet/Navy East Matches Program is on website www.usnmt.org this year. Entries are still on www.odcmp.com
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 11:05:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

As someone who doesn't have distinguished points, I'm thrilled at being able to shoot 2 extra matches - each of which I still have to be in the top 10%.  I'm sorry if you think it cheapens it, but I've been practicing like crazy now, and should I ever actually successfully get a badge, I won't feel like it's any cheaper than any one else's.  It means I shot in top 10% in enough matches, plus was top shooter in a big match.  This is particularly important since I'm not a young man any more, and want to get this moving before my eye's decide this is no longer an option.  

I wish we had the older rules where I could leg at out some local 6 man match, but they changed that a while ago, and now I have to have a big leg. That "big" leg intimidates the Hell out of me.  How am I supposed to go from not good enough -  to OK, you get something -  to OK, you were the best non-distinguished shooter at a fairly large match.?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But then that's me.

EBR666

Practice and dedication.

I don't mean to demean anyone and I truly hope you achieve your goal.

For some it is still going to be a major up hill climb to reach the goal. For others a walk in the park which is made easier with some of the rule changes. An example are the points given at camp perry for shooting in the M16 match. They call them starter points for those who don't have points. I have a friend that shoots near high master scores. He started towards his badge one year. Shot in the M16 match and got points then the same week shot the leg at perry and got his 10 points there, The following year the legged out at two local matches.  However I have other friends that worked years for their badge. By years I mean up to 10 years maybe more for some.

It just seems that the CMP is using the point system and Distinguished badges as an incentive to get folks to shoot. And that is not what is was intended for. It was intended to "Distinguish" the shooter who put in the dedication and work to become one of the best of the best. This was meant to be HARD with limited opportunities (read # of matches a year). Today not so much. It seems the goal of the CMP is to max out the number of badges awarded each year.

This is how I feel about how the program is run now Vs back then. I may be wrong and it's still a great accomplishment.

With that I bid you good luck, hold tight , Good sight alignment, sight picture, breath control and most of all, SQUEEZE the trigger and lastly follow through.     Your shot for record is an "X"

EBR666
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 10:22:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Sir, you may have already figured out how to contact the Navy shooting team folks.  However you can check out the NCRR (Norfolk County Rifle Range) web site.  You will see that we have monthly matches at the formerly Blackwater, now Academi, ranges near Moyock, NC.  You will also be able to get in touch with some of the people that will be running the matches at Quantico in April.  Capt. Ryan can provide you with all the info you need as well as hook you up with what ever equipment needs you may have.  FWIW, we plan to shoot this Saturday if the weather holds out.  Just a practice match this weekend.  Sorry but the Academi security access list for the match closed yesterday.  HTH, 7zero1.
View Quote

I got in touch with them and made it out for the practice match on the 14th.  I was the really tall newbie on the left, 2nd relay.  Unfortunately won't be able to make it to the match on the 28th.  Perhaps I'll run into you at another one, would like to say hello.

My command's working on orders for the Quantico matches ... looking forward to that one too.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 10:41:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
My command's working on orders for the Quantico matches ... looking forward to that one too.
View Quote

I got a verbal from my commander to attend Interservice.  I'll be wearing my "I came so you can leg" t-shirt.  
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 10:49:38 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a friend that shoots near high master scores. He started towards his badge one year. Shot in the M16 match and got points then the same week shot the leg at perry and got his 10 points there, The following year the legged out at two local matches.  However I have other friends that worked years for their badge. By years I mean up to 10 years maybe more for some.
View Quote

I don't follow your logic at all. Those 4 starter points didn't get your friend his DR Badge, he did it by shooting HM scores.
But then if we want to talk about old rules, I like the one, that if there was only 1 leg given at a local match, it would be a 10 point leg no matter how many people shot. They don't do that anymore.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top