Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/31/2014 12:31:24 AM EDT
http://thecmp.org/cmp-pistol-program-rule-changes-for-2015

The 2015 Pistol Rules provide a list of “other approved Service Pistols.”  This list includes pistols from 14 different manufacturers along with the specific cartridges those pistols must fire.  The concept embodied in this change is to open EIC Match to shooters who already own these pistols and would like to shoot them in EIC matches if they are authorized. The list of current approved Service Pistols will be posted at http://thecmp.org/competitions/service-pistol/ as the new CMP Competition Rules for Service Rifle and Pistol rulebook is in its final stages of preparation and will be released in January.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 12:50:00 AM EDT
[#1]
The current requirement that Non-Distinguished shooters can fire in only one National Trophy Pistol Individual Match and a maximum of three EIC matches will be changed to one NTI Match and a maximum of five EIC matches per year.  The five EIC match limit will apply to both Service Pistol and .22 Rimfire Pistol EIC Matches as well as to Service Rifle EIC Matches.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/1/2015 12:00:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
The current requirement that Non-Distinguished shooters can fire in only one National Trophy Pistol Individual Match and a maximum of three EIC matches will be changed to one NTI Match and a maximum of five EIC matches per year.  The five EIC match limit will apply to both Service Pistol and .22 Rimfire Pistol EIC Matches as well as to Service Rifle EIC Matches.

Don't forget that these are the rules for civilians. If you're military, your branch will determine what changes, if any will be allowed.

B
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 12:55:00 AM EDT
[#3]
That's true. And they will remove points, and they do restrict you to military only matches ( the Nationals count) for points after you get 20.
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 1:05:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
That's true. And they will remove points, and they do restrict you to military only matches ( the Nationals count) for points after you get 20.
View Quote

If / when I earn 20 14 points, that won't be a concern.  I've found that civilian matches are more difficult than military matches.  Civilian matches are just easier (and cheaper) to get to.

ETA: Just double-checked the regs.  It's 14 points.  "Once 14 points have been earned, further participation in non-Army matches is prohibited."
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 10:16:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I've found that civilian matches are more difficult than military matches
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've found that civilian matches are more difficult than military matches

I take it you've never been to interservice... 490 gets you disappointed more than it gets you points.

I've been to matches all over the country and I can't say I agree with that statement at all. Are you talking about actual HP matches or combat matches? Combat matches, yes, actual military HP matches, no.

When I hit 26 points in 2010, the CMP sent me a letter saying I was forbidden to compete for points except at interservice and the Nationals. The Army then took points away, and told me I could shoot combat like all army or interservice and the Nationals only. So 2011 I deployed, came home an had to wait until the Nationals in 2012 for the last points.

If you go to the Nationals, if you make the cut, the cmp will give you 10 points, civilians get to keep these ten points and it counts as a precious metal or hard leg regardless of where they placed, however the army will then take some away and you will get 4,6,8 or ten based on where you placed. And you still need an actual silver or gold leg in your 30 to get the badge from the Army.
Good luck
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 10:43:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Are you talking about actual HP matches or combat matches?
View Quote

Combat matches.  I was first leather at the USAR Small Arms Championships and I've yet to shoot an XTC military match.  And I probably won't this year, if we're limited to 4.  My dance card is already full with one civilian EIC, All-Army, Perry, and the USAR match.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 1:24:53 AM EDT
[#7]
The army does not intend to go over 4 EICs per year.  

V/r
Mike Behnke, GS
S3  Operations/Competitions
U.S. Army Marksmanship Unit
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:59:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

V/r
Mike Behnke, GS

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y126/von_landstuhl/animations/1377192013_zps2e2982c5.gif

Does the Army plan on offering more EIC matches for the great unwashed masses of Soldiers to compete in?

How the heck do we find out where these golden Combat EIC matches are being held?
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:03:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Does the Army plan on offering more EIC matches for the great unwashed masses of Soldiers to compete in?

How the heck do we find out where these golden Combat EIC matches are being held?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

V/r
Mike Behnke, GS

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y126/von_landstuhl/animations/1377192013_zps2e2982c5.gif

As a Soldier, you can compete in two non-Army matches a year, until you earn 15 points. You can find them here: https://ct.thecmp.org

As for Army matches, I'm not aware of any posts or Commands that still sponsor matches, so you're limited to the EICs at All Army, the USAR Championships, the Winston P Wilson Match, Interservice, and the National Matches.  This is from Table 3-1 of AR 350-66.

All Army and the USAR Championships are combat EICs shot at a modified M9 target. The National Trophy Individual Rifle Match (NTI) is a standard across the course bullseye match. I've not been to the other two, but I'm sure others here can provide more info.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 10:06:00 AM EDT
[#10]
interservice is standard Bullseye type like CMP, WPW is combat style.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 9:07:57 AM EDT
[#11]
After the CMP has lowered their standards, be glad your badge will say, US ARMY" at the top, and is more prestigious than the civilian equivalent.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 12:35:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
After the CMP has lowered their standards, be glad your badge will say, US ARMY" at the top, and is more prestigious than the civilian equivalent.
View Quote

I'm surprised you have time to post.  I thought you'd be busy as hell about now.  I was hoping to get down there this week, but there were too many applicants and I didn't make the cut.  
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 12:51:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

The best shooters still win. We shouldn't have the top guys bad mouthing the badge. I cannot change the rules. I can only do my best against others following the rules. I'm sitting at 28 and 26 points for Pistol and Rifle. My badge represents lots of hard work, travel,  and the fact that I beat 90% of all non-distinguished at each match all on a budget fully funded by me. .
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 4:28:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The best shooters still win.
View Quote

That's for sure.  I don't see the rifle rule changes effecting much around here.  The average low leg in Ohio over the last 5 years (including the National Trophy Individual) has been 469.  That's well above the new 455 minimum.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 8:24:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The best shooters still win. We shouldn't have the top guys bad mouthing the badge. I cannot change the rules. I can only do my best against others following the rules. I'm sitting at 28 and 26 points for Pistol and Rifle. My badge represents lots of hard work, travel,  and the fact that I beat 90% of all non-distinguished at each match all on a budget fully funded by me. .
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No one is bad mouthing the badge, but the simple truth is the CMP has lowered the bar when it did no good to do so. Extra matches will only dilute the pool, and I think the expansion of EIC matches will result in lower turnouts. That means less matches where 8&10 pointers are available. "Achievement Pins" instead of medals, extra matches...these are solutions in search of a problem.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 2:48:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

No one is bad mouthing the badge, but the simple truth is the CMP has lowered the bar when it did no good to do so. Extra matches will only dilute the pool, and I think the expansion of EIC matches will result in lower turnouts. That means less matches where 8&10 pointers are available. "Achievement Pins" instead of medals, extra matches...these are solutions in search of a problem.
View Quote

Keep those EIC place medals, I guess.  They're collector items now.  Why would a distinguished shooter shoot a leg now?

The whole thing was poorly thought out if it was thought about at all.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 8:55:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 10:28:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I'm surprised you have time to post.  I thought you'd be busy as hell about now.  I was hoping to get down there this week, but there were too many applicants and I didn't make the cut.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am actually TDY at FT Bragg for a month; can't say I miss the headaches of running All Army!
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 10:31:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I am actually TDY at FT Bragg for a month; can't say I miss the headaches of running All Army!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Enjoy your vacation!
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 10:51:08 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess it's a matter of perspective.  To me, they've raised the standards, since you now have to shoot above 455, in addition to be in the top 10% to get points.  The unintended affect from that is going to be the bottom 50% are going to pretty much know they don't have any chance at all on getting lucky if the top few stumble, and may well stop going.  I think these changes are going to make it harder, and not easier.  

Allow 5 matches rather than just 3 is wonderful to me.  It means I don't have skip matches that I have access to.  Still have to shoot top 10%.  And if the weather is horrible, I guess I'll just no-show now, because I know bottom 50% will bail....  
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 1:28:30 PM EDT
[#21]
So as an Army Guard soldier with 14 points from local EIC matches, I can't earn anymore? What if I continue to earn points at the local level?
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 5:24:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
So as an Army Guard soldier with 14 points from local EIC matches, I can't earn anymore? What if I continue to earn points at the local level?
View Quote

According to AR 350-66 and Mr Behnke (USAMU Chief of Competitions) all further points are forfeit and each match you enter burns one of your four EICs.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 12:50:52 PM EDT
[#23]
yep, and they have no problem taking those points from you. I think that even competing in them is considered practice and is not allowed, they sent me a letter that said i was no longer allowed to COMPETE in civilian matches, not just for points, but at all is the way it read to me... its a weird place to be, I suggest you call them and clarify
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 1:14:32 PM EDT
[#24]
I called last year and got the answer I posted above. If you want to call yourself, I'd advise waiting until next week. They're pretty busy right now with the All Army competition
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 1:39:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Keep those EIC place medals, I guess.  They're collector items now.  Why would a distinguished shooter shoot a leg now?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Last ones issued were from Florida State last Dec
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 4:35:21 PM EDT
[#26]
I'll start bullseye pistol. I wished that the 1911 lends itself as well to self-maintenance as an AR15. 1911 smiths are hard to come by...a year or more wait for a pistol to be done.

Guess I'll put off retiring till I earn distinguished rifle.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 6:10:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I'll start bullseye pistol. I wished that the 1911 lends itself to self-maintenance as an AR15. 1911 smiths are hard to come by. Guess I'll put off retiring till I earn distinguished rifle.
View Quote

I want to start pistol, but I'm going to wait and see if any of the newly authorized pistols become better platforms than the 1911.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 9:50:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

End of an era.  Welcome to Mediocrity in Competition medals.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 10:55:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What a defeatist attitude. The scoresheet will still have a winner on it. Go be the winner.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 11:24:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

What a defeatist attitude. The scoresheet will still have a winner on it. Go be the winner.
View Quote

Everyone gets a participation medal now and you think we should be happy with it?

Mediocrity, like I said.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 11:24:26 PM EDT
[#31]
From my experience, highpower shooting and bullseye shooting is declining here in Hawaii.
When we schedule a shoot, either practice or match we hope to have enough people to shoot.
I'm glad the CMP is trying to address the issue. It makes sense with new rules/accommodations as most shooters would rather shoot something more action-oriented - though I can't tell if they hit any of their targets ...or care to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKDZ2SqXXaY

In addition, shooting tacticool brings more money i.e. rails, triggers, etc. How many highpower related accessories are there? The sub niche markets simply can't compare to each other. Tacticool sells more.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 11:51:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Are you guys saying there are no 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place medals in EIC matches any more?

Link Posted: 2/5/2015 12:00:41 AM EDT
[#33]
http://thecmp.org/2015-cmp-competition-rules

There will be a new incentive for more shooters to compete in Rifle and Pistol EIC Matches.  Rifle and pistol competitors who are not yet at a level where they can consistently place in the top 10 percent and earn EIC credits can now compete to earn CMP Achievement Pins.  This program that has been so popular with As-Issued Military and Rimfire Sporter Rifle club match sponsors has now been adapted for Rifle and Pistol EIC Matches.  CMP Achievement Pins will be awarded to all competitors who equal or exceed cut scores for the bronze, silver and gold awards.  This means 40-50 percent of EIC Match competitors will receive award recognition from the CMP rather than the former top three only.  The EIC Match Award Pin cut scores that will be in effect in 2015 are:

Bronze - 450
Silver - 462
Gold - 474
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 1:19:01 AM EDT
[#34]
I'm a Distinguished, so If I win the over all match there will be nothing, except an Achievement Pin if I break 474? I already have a 495 Club pin from the NRA. I don't think I'm going to get all stiff about a 474 pin. Is there something I'm missing?

B
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 3:48:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 9:10:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Brian, that is correct.  The awards are gone from EIC matches.  Now there will be achievement pins so everyone can be a winner.
View Quote

Thank for the clarification John. I'd like to know who the drooling imbeciles are that came up with that idea? I'd like to believe in my heart that these people are some kind of Obama voters, but I know it's not true.    

I'm joining The Mars Society so I can leave this fucking ship of fools as soon as I can.

B
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 9:24:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 11:17:02 PM EDT
[#38]
and that leads to the decline...shooters get their badges then leave...or at least that's what I'm experiencing with our local club.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 11:30:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
and that leads to the decline...shooters get their badges then leave...or at least that's what I'm experiencing with our local club.
View Quote

I thought they got old and then went to match rifle or F-Class?  
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 11:45:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Considering there is no longer anything of value to win in an EIC match for someone with the badge, it'll only get worse.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 11:50:28 PM EDT
[#41]
The badge was as a way of finding the next crop of shooters with potential. That tradition is being carried out with these changes. Bring in new shooters. Give them an award as they make progress. That way they have something material they can show for their time, effort, travel, and expense. The cuts for achievement badges match the cuts at Perry if memory serves.

I'll miss the placement badges. I got four for rifle in the last two years. I got two for pistol in the years prior. In order for newer shooters to show up, it was worth trying something different. As it was, service pistol was headed to the point of no return. Hopefully, this can help turn the tide. If not, we can go back to placement medals until the sports finally die.
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 8:05:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Considering there is no longer anything of value to win in an EIC match for someone with the badge, it'll only get worse.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not just Distinguished shooters. When an up and coming shooter that is still chasing Legs wins their first EIC match and there is nothing, they will get the full effect.  It reminds me of a couple of places that use to conveniently forget to announce the match winner because he was from away.

This is really intended to drive a certain element of the community out of shooting in CMP events. It's sad as I had hoped my kids would grow up to be HP shooters, but what they are doing is killing it for me and I'm not so sure I want them to compete in this sport.

B
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 10:22:48 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
This is really intended to drive a certain element of the community out of shooting in CMP events. It's sad as I had hoped my kids would grow up to be HP shooters, but what they are doing is killing it for me and I'm not so sure I want them to compete in this sport.
View Quote

I've already lost any interest in EIC pistol.  Fortunately, I hadn't bought a hardball gun yet.

They want the Gamers and the casual competitors.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 3:36:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I've already lost any interest in EIC pistol.  Fortunately, I hadn't bought a hardball gun yet.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've always been a Service Rifle shooter. This winter, I thought that I'd try Service Pistol and bought a thousand 230 gr .45 bullets from Sierra. Now I wish that I bought the lighter semi-wadcutters.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 10:50:09 AM EDT
[#45]

As a new (2yrs) highpower shooter I will share my thoughts, take it as you will.

I dont understand how any of these rule changes will change the end goal of getting your distinguished. The only thing that really impacts it is the increase in matches allowed to participate in, and I do not see how that is a bad thing. Am I missing something here?

I think the participation pin is a great idea. Everyone is always talking about how you are "shooting against yourself". if CMP wants to set a threshold score to qualify bronze silver or gold, I think that is cool. However, I really believe that it is a big mistake to get rid of the medals for 1st 2nd and 3rd place. Once someone gets their distinguished, those medals are all that is a real incentive to keep participating in those matches. I think it would be a real loss to NOT have those people on the line. I have learned many things from the seasoned guys on the line at the matches I have been to, some of those things helping me significantly.

This community really isn't THAT big, get the word out that people want the medals. Rally the masses at every match you go to, and be on an all out campaign at Perry this year.

Link Posted: 2/10/2015 1:58:53 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

This community really isn't THAT big, get the word out that people want the medals. Rally the masses at every match you go to, and be on an all out campaign at Perry this year.

View Quote

I'm not sure about that.  The P100 shoot-off was not a particularly popular addition to the P100.  Unlike any other match in this sport that I can think of, if you make the shoot-off but don't shoot the shoot-off, you are DQ'd for the entire day's match.

Apparently, that is how they deal with protest, perceived or otherwise.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 9:23:08 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I'm not sure about that.  The P100 shoot-off was not a particularly popular addition to the P100.  Unlike any other match in this sport that I can think of, if you make the shoot-off but don't shoot the shoot-off, you are DQ'd for the entire day's match.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe the standard arfcom response is, "Their match, their rules."

As a noob that hasn't won anything in an EIC match, it would have been nice if they kept the medals.  I don't need pins. I won a bronze medal in last year's M1 Carbine match. That was damn cool.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 11:57:16 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I believe the standard arfcom response is, "Their match, their rules."

As a noob that hasn't won anything in an EIC match, it would have been nice if they kept the medals.  I don't need pins. I won a bronze medal in last year's M1 Carbine match. That was damn cool.
View Quote

I don't think there is anything in the rulebook about that.

I think they should have a new club called the CMP 990 Club. These Titans of Industry, do such good work but I'm guessing they should be able to come up with some bobbles for us rubes. It's nice work if you can get it.  Just remember kids, stay in school.

Link Posted: 2/10/2015 2:22:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

The salaries are about right for executive level position in a medium sized organization.  A little low, depending, but about right.  The bonus structure is a bit high though.  Not crazy high, but probably about double what I'd expect to see for anything short of a several hundred million dollar a year run-rate company.  Overall, this pay structure isn't absurd, but I could see it argued a bit high - depending on the size of the organization.  No matter how you slice it though, it's a sweat gig, considering much of your inventory was free, you get to work with cool gun stuff, and your customer base is a bunch of middle aged guys who always pay on time with fawning admiration about your organization.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 7:54:44 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

According to AR 350-66 and Mr Behnke (USAMU Chief of Competitions) all further points are forfeit and each match you enter burns one of your four EICs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is it just the Army that makes life hard for servicemembers?  Do the Navy or Air Force have any anti-competition rules?

I ask because I'm a active duty Navy guy, just started shooting service rifle matches last year.  No points yet, but I intend to change that this year.  

I'm a doctor at a hospital where people like to pretend they're not in the Navy at all, and just about nobody shoots anything, so I'm kind of on my own figuring all this out.  Don't want to run afoul of any Navy rules.  I just want to shoot, maybe someday make Distinguished.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top