Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/29/2014 2:49:03 PM EDT
I'm really thinking of giving High Power a try, would I be crazy to use my M1A Loaded? The rifle will shoot around 2.5 inch 5 shot groups, with handloaded 155 match bullets, when I do my part with a scope.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 3:14:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Welcome. That rifle will get you started. Many guys carry a backup. I've loaned mine before. Just show up; guys will help you.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 9:06:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Jump on the line at Camp Butner during the CMP Eastern Games Small Arms Firing School.   You'll learn some of what you need to know and they'll even provide the guns and ammo.   The CMP also does this on a larger scale at Camp Perry during the National Championships.  

Caution, High Power is addictive and chasing leg points, High Master cards and President's Hundred and National Trophy medals is expensive........
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 9:46:39 PM EDT
[#3]
bed that rifle and it will be more than competitive.  I love shooting 30 cal for high power.  Until you can hold tighter than the rifle can shoot youll be just fine
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 4:32:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
bed that rifle and it will be more than competitive.  I love shooting 30 cal for high power.  Until you can hold tighter than the rifle can shoot youll be just fine
View Quote

Sir, FWIW I started shooting HP with an M1A in reduced course matches locally many years ago.  "Until you can hold tighter than the rifle can shoot you'll be just fine" is about as direct an answer you can get, and nothing could be more true.  Keep in mind that target dimensions regardless if reduced course of full distance the X ring of the aiming black is about 1MOA, and the ten ring is about twice that.  If your rifle is shooting sub MOA (you didn't mention what distance you were shooting five shot groups) the accuracy is sufficient for across the course competition.  The exception to that rule is the MR31 target where the X ring is .75" diameter.

I agree that bedding will improve the accuracy of your rifle but it has to be done right.  There seems to be a diminishing pool of gunsmiths that know how to do it since the military stopped using these rifles in competition.  When I used an M1A in competition I had two identical rifles both double lugged and normally had one of the rifles rebedded every year.  HTH, 7zero1.
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 9:17:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Jump on the line at Camp Butner during the CMP Eastern Games Small Arms Firing School.   You'll learn some of what you need to know and they'll even provide the guns and ammo.   The CMP also does this on a larger scale at Camp Perry during the National Championships.  

Caution, High Power is addictive and chasing leg points, High Master cards and President's Hundred and National Trophy medals is expensive........
View Quote

Definitely take the small arms firing school. It is a great intro to Hightower class. Here is a link to the info page on the school held at camp Perry which will be almost identical to the one at camp burner

http://thecmp.org/competitions/cmp-national-matches/small-arms-firing-schools/

Here is an article about the camp butner safs class held last year
http://www.ammoland.com/2014/04/small-arms-firing-school-offered-at-2014-eastern-cmp-games/#axzz3NQtq8rB9

The camp Perry class has around 700 students. I have taken it four times and still enjoy it.

My first real match was the presidents match. I had never shot further than 200 yards before then and I was using a camera tripod and my kids bike trailer to haul my gear around. It was intimidating until I met the people shooting with me and they made me feel welcome and helped me through it. I didn't shoot very well (bottom 20%) of the standings, but I hit the target with each shot, everything was done safely and I had a great time.

Have fun

Link Posted: 12/30/2014 11:40:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 12:22:56 PM EDT
[#7]
I think there is one thing that everyone else missed.

High power has 2 divisions
1. service rifle  Which a M1A would work for if you used the iron sights, and +4.5lb trigger. BUT you said scope. So a scope would put you in the other division
2. match rifle  I think match allows scoped rifles not real sure on that but I sure someone will correct if I am wrong

So you need to pick a division you want to play
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 3:42:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 8:26:20 AM EDT
[#9]
If I going high power shooting I will remove the scope and shoot with the open sites. Is it worth having the rifle bedding, or should I wait? The rifle with scope is shoot around 2.5 inches at 200 yards with the scope. I have the M1A loaded model, it has the national match barrel, trigger, op rod, and sites.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 1:12:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If I going high power shooting I will remove the scope and shoot with the open sites. Is it worth having the rifle bedding, or should I wait? The rifle with scope is shoot around 2.5 inches at 200 yards with the scope. I have the M1A loaded model, it has the national match barrel, trigger, op rod, and sites.
View Quote

Sir, I would go ahead and have the action bedded.  It's that time of year now and most matches in the area aren't scheduled 'til Feb/Mar.  Also it would be helpful for your own edification to know what groups you can shoot at 200yds without the scope.  Like Mr. Sylvester mentioned check out the North State Shooting Club web site to see their schedule.  I assume you know where Camp Butner is.  I've shot there many times over many years and it's always a good match.  7zero1 out.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 7:59:07 PM EDT
[#11]
There are a few practice matches in Jan and Feb at Butner, but the first actual match is the Polar Bear on Feb 28-Mar 1.  It can be cold (hence the name) and has a nice traveling trophy for that match (with a white polar bear on top).  Training for my work is going to keep me from attending that match this year.

That said, you've got some time to get the M1A bedded.

Depending upon where in NC you live there may be some other Highpower opportunities for you.  XTC, midrange and long range.  

CCRC at Camp Lejeune has some midrange 600 yard and 1000 yard stuff  http://www.coastalcarolinarifleclub.com/
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 8:29:06 PM EDT
[#12]
I'll be the dissenting voice on bedding.  I would shoot your M1A as is and if you enjoy high power save up for a white oak DCM ar upper.  Everyone is shooting AR's on most across the course lines.  The ar is so much easier to shoot well in the rapids.  Shoot what you have first, it will do great,  but start saving because this sport will cost you some money if you stick with it.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 11:59:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 10:50:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I agree with this advice.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'll be the dissenting voice on bedding.  I would shoot your M1A as is and if you enjoy high power save up for a white oak DCM ar upper.  Everyone is shooting AR's on most across the course lines.  The ar is so much easier to shoot well in the rapids.  Shoot what you have first, it will do great,  but start saving because this sport will cost you some money if you stick with it.

I agree with this advice.

Me too
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 2:12:19 PM EDT
[#15]
buy art lupinos m14 bedding video and a 20 dollar acraglass kit.  I shoot alot of wood rifles in competition and can tell you with out bedding your gun will shoot loose and accuracy will fall off.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 4:41:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
buy art lupinos m14 bedding video and a 20 dollar acraglass kit.  I shoot alot of wood rifles in competition and can tell you with out bedding your gun will shoot loose and accuracy will fall off.
View Quote

Sir, I hesitated to respond to your post because I didn't want to turn this thread into a debate about bedding.  

However, It seems there are those that either don't remember the days when most everyone shot highpower with an M14/M1A or they simply haven't been in the sport long enough nor have the experience.  Regardless, the M1A can be fairly maintenance intensive if the goal is to maintain it's accuracy for at least one season.  Bedding is simply a means of maintaining that accuracy for a longer period.  Given the recoil of the rifle accuracy will deteriorate regardless, just less rapidly if the rifle is bedded.  I don't disagree the AR-15 is a bit easier to shoot across the course, especially in the rapids.  I've used one in HP competition for quite a few years since the days when I legged out with an M1A.  I was simply intending to provide the OP with a course that will enable him to maintain the accuracy of his rifle longer as his skills develop rather than he becoming discouraged by his diminishing scores due to the deteriorating accuracy of his rifle.  

And OBTW, marinetex is a much better bedding material than acraglass.  JMHO 7zero1.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 3:06:16 PM EDT
[#17]
the part we often miss about a new shooter is there not hooked yet and new guns and equiptment are expensive.  He HAS an m1a.  That makes it the best gun he needs right now.  Run what ya brung.  Once hes hooked and the big gun has taught him his positions then worry about another rifle.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 5:43:19 PM EDT
[#18]
go and have a great time - longer sight radius will allow improved hold - i went master with one and yes i shoot better with my AR but an M1A is awesome - still my favorite - You can win your class while learning

Link Posted: 1/11/2015 2:28:57 PM EDT
[#19]
The "optics" division shooting a M1-A will be problematic. Fixed stocks do not lend themselves to position shooting with magnified scopes. You would probably do better on a reduced course (100/200 yard) with a red dot if you have to use an optic.

Iron sights are very capable if you have good eye sight (usually under age 40).

You need a sling, a shooting mat, a shooting jacket and a spotting scope. You need at least two magazines, three is better. It allows you to dry fire with one during prep time.

I used 168 grain Sierra Match Kings going 2500 fps and Lake City brass for over ten years. 40.0 to 40.5 grains of IMR-4895 or H4895 or 41.0 to 41.5 grains of IMR-4064 will get you there. Varget, RE-15 and N140 would be good options as well.

My personal best score was fired with a M1-A in 1989, 489/500, and I have never been able to beat that score with an AR-15. That being said, an AR-15 is more accurate inside of 300 yards, doesn't kick, doesn't need expensive maintenance, is much easier and cheaper to maintain and it can be done at home, is better suited for optics and cheaper to buy even when tricked out. The competition world switched to the AR-15 around 1995 and it hasn't looked back.

.224" match bullets cost 2/3rds to 1/2 that of .30 caliber match bullets. .223 powder is just over 1/2 the cost when compared .308 per round. Surplus 5.56mm brass is considerably cheaper and easier to find than surplus 7.62x51mm.  

While I encourage you to try the M1-A (I'm assuming you don't have an AR) you should know that the trigger group splines get hammered over the course of fire. They are getting harder to find and more expensive with each passing year. The last G.I. trigger group I priced was close to $200 and I haven't shopped lately. It's close to $100 just for the trigger group housing (no internal parts) but very few people are willing to sell them.

As already mention by 7zero1 glass bedding done right is a requirement, a yearly skim bedding will be required at the end of each season. Don't get the trigger tuned too light, if you do it won't last through an entire season. I like 5lbs., after it wears a little it will still hold 4.5lbs. as required under the rules. a 4.5lb. trigger will wear lighter. Most M1-A gunsmithing must be sent out. That means two way shipping costs and $80.00 an hour +/- labor costs. It also means you don't have the rifle until it returns.

NRA high power is a great way to get good with your firearm. Actual 200/300/600 yard tournaments are an experience everyone should have. Standing, sitting and prone positions really require some useful practice and dedication on your part to excel.

Link Posted: 1/11/2015 2:36:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Yes.

Link Posted: 1/12/2015 1:35:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Awesome!   Well Done!!!

Congrats on your Distinguished!
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 6:40:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Nice hardware WEG!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top